SMB client for Win32 or C# - SMB

This is a discussion on SMB client for Win32 or C# - SMB ; I'm trying to write a Win32 /.net client to replace a legacy DOS client-server app. The DOS client communicates with a server side application using SMB over NBT. I'm writing in C# and as far as I know there is ...

  1. SMB client for Win32 or C#

    I'm trying to write a Win32 /.net client to replace a legacy DOS
    client-server app. The DOS client communicates with a server side
    application using SMB over NBT.
    I'm writing in C# and as far as I know there is no SMB or NBT
    implementaiton for C#. I've tried building the NBT / SMB packets and
    sending over a C# TCP connection, but the problem I've come up against
    is that the server responses are contained within TCP ACK packets, and
    I can't find a way to read the contents of these packets as the TCP
    subsystem discards anything with ACK flag set to 1 and doesnt pass the
    payload up to the application.
    Can anyone help with this?
    Any ideas would be gratefully appreciated.

  2. Re: SMB client for Win32 or C#

    On 17 Mar 2007 04:34:33 -0700, macjamesie@gmail.com wrote:

    >I'm trying to write a Win32 /.net client to replace a legacy DOS
    >client-server app. The DOS client communicates with a server side
    >application using SMB over NBT.
    >I'm writing in C# and as far as I know there is no SMB or NBT
    >implementaiton for C#. I've tried building the NBT / SMB packets and
    >sending over a C# TCP connection, but the problem I've come up against
    >is that the server responses are contained within TCP ACK packets, and
    >I can't find a way to read the contents of these packets as the TCP
    >subsystem discards anything with ACK flag set to 1 and doesnt pass the
    >payload up to the application.
    >Can anyone help with this?
    >Any ideas would be gratefully appreciated.

    Win32 accesses SMB over TCP/IP. I haven't seen an option to enable
    NetBIOS access since NT 4.0. If you need to work with a DOS system,
    I believe you will have to move up to the DDK and use C or assembler
    to write network drivers below the NDIS layer to read or write NetBIOS
    packets. I hope you have written IP layer drivers before. It is not
    easy to do.

    Bob McConnell
    N2SPP

  3. Re: SMB client for Win32 or C#

    I seriously doubt that the DOS app specifically uses SMB over NBT. I
    suspect is simply uses the standard Lan Manager style communications without
    relying on the underlying implementation. Could you post some of the code,
    if you have it, showing the actual communications. If you don't have access
    to this code, please post the system requirements for both the client and
    server. Don't forget to list any network shares the server is required to
    export.

    Mike Ober.

    wrote in message
    news:1174131273.022041.276900@e65g2000hsc.googlegr oups.com...
    > I'm trying to write a Win32 /.net client to replace a legacy DOS
    > client-server app. The DOS client communicates with a server side
    > application using SMB over NBT.
    > I'm writing in C# and as far as I know there is no SMB or NBT
    > implementaiton for C#. I've tried building the NBT / SMB packets and
    > sending over a C# TCP connection, but the problem I've come up against
    > is that the server responses are contained within TCP ACK packets, and
    > I can't find a way to read the contents of these packets as the TCP
    > subsystem discards anything with ACK flag set to 1 and doesnt pass the
    > payload up to the application.
    > Can anyone help with this?
    > Any ideas would be gratefully appreciated.

+ Reply to Thread