Samba 3.0 and SBS 2003 Premium - SMB

This is a discussion on Samba 3.0 and SBS 2003 Premium - SMB ; We purchaed a NAS (Thermaltake Muse) to add storage to our SBS 2003 domain network. Turns out the NAS is a headless Linux box with Samba 3.0.20a which is just fine, but I can't get it to join the domain ...

  1. Samba 3.0 and SBS 2003 Premium

    We purchaed a NAS (Thermaltake Muse) to add storage to our SBS 2003 domain
    network. Turns out the NAS is a headless Linux box with Samba 3.0.20a which
    is just fine, but I can't get it to join the domain (Windows SBS 2003
    Premium edition with SP1).

    I tested the system with Windows 2003 Server Enterprise Edition with an ADS
    domain and it joined and worked just fine. The NAS has telnet running so I
    can logon as root to manage smb.conf etc. I get the this error when I try to
    join:

    #net rpc join
    [2007/03/06 19:03:15, 0, pid=7373]
    rpc_client/cli_pipe.c:cli_nt_session_open(1473)
    cli_nt_session_open: cli_nt_create failed on pipe \lsarpc to machine
    ALPHA. Error was NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
    could not initialise lsa pipe
    could not obtain sid for domain

    #net getlocalsid MYDOMAIN returns
    Can't fetch domain SID for name: MYDOMAIN

    I get the same results trying to join a FC3 system running Samba 3.0.10 to
    the SBS2003 domain.Both of these commands provide positive results when used
    with the Windows 2003 server.

    Since it works with Windows 2003 server and both Samba systems get the same
    results trying to join the SBS 2003 domain, I suspect the SBS 2003 system
    has some settings that prevent the Samba system from joining the domain.

    For now I used "security = USER" and "guest ok = YES writable = YES" on the
    shares to allow access, but a full domain member would make it work better.

    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

  2. Re: Samba 3.0 and SBS 2003 Premium

    As far as I know, the Small Business Server version of Windows only allows a
    limited number of other SBS systems to join a domain. Other, non SBS
    servers, cannot join a SBS domain.

    Mike Ober.

    "mmarien" wrote in message
    > We purchaed a NAS (Thermaltake Muse) to add storage to our SBS 2003 domain
    > network. Turns out the NAS is a headless Linux box with Samba 3.0.20a
    > which is just fine, but I can't get it to join the domain (Windows SBS
    > 2003 Premium edition with SP1).
    >
    > I tested the system with Windows 2003 Server Enterprise Edition with an
    > ADS domain and it joined and worked just fine. The NAS has telnet running
    > so I can logon as root to manage smb.conf etc. I get the this error when I
    > try to join:
    >
    > #net rpc join
    > [2007/03/06 19:03:15, 0, pid=7373]
    > rpc_client/cli_pipe.c:cli_nt_session_open(1473)
    > cli_nt_session_open: cli_nt_create failed on pipe \lsarpc to machine
    > ALPHA. Error was NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
    > could not initialise lsa pipe
    > could not obtain sid for domain
    >
    > #net getlocalsid MYDOMAIN returns
    > Can't fetch domain SID for name: MYDOMAIN
    >
    > I get the same results trying to join a FC3 system running Samba 3.0.10 to
    > the SBS2003 domain.Both of these commands provide positive results when
    > used with the Windows 2003 server.
    >
    > Since it works with Windows 2003 server and both Samba systems get the
    > same results trying to join the SBS 2003 domain, I suspect the SBS 2003
    > system has some settings that prevent the Samba system from joining the
    > domain.
    >
    > For now I used "security = USER" and "guest ok = YES writable = YES" on
    > the shares to allow access, but a full domain member would make it work
    > better.
    >
    > Any suggestions would be appreciated.

  3. Re: Samba 3.0 and SBS 2003 Premium

    "Michael D. Ober" wrote in message
    > As far as I know, the Small Business Server version of Windows only allows
    > a limited number of other SBS systems to join a domain. Other, non SBS
    > servers, cannot join a SBS domain.
    >
    > Mike Ober.

    Thanks Mike. That seems to be the case but it defies logic.

    Taking a hint from your comments I checked the limitations. I believe the
    limitations to SBS are max two processors and one domain as it can have
    multiple DC's (but only one SBS) and only 75 simultaneous connections. It's
    also in mixed mode (Exchange requires WINS) so it allows workstations
    including NT4 and Win2000/XP to join. Samba should be able to join as a
    workstation or member server.

    I have manually added the Samba computer to AD using the administrative tool
    Active Directory Users and Computers. You can go as far as check the
    properties and manage the Samba computer using Computer Management. It will
    list the users on the Samba system and the two services Net Logon and Print
    Spooler show up. So there is communication with the Samba system.

    I'm thinking that if there was a way to retrieve the domain SID you could
    manually add it to the Samba system with "net setlocalsid" and the Samba
    system would then be a trusted part of the domain. Does anybody know where
    to find the SID for the domain? Is it in the registry or the AD database ?