Windows explorer over CIFS - SMB

This is a discussion on Windows explorer over CIFS - SMB ; Hi, When windows explorer goes to a directory mounted over CIFS, it loads thumbnails for all the files in that directory. Does it pull down each and every file and read all the contents of the file to create the ...

  1. Windows explorer over CIFS

    Hi,
    When windows explorer goes to a directory mounted over CIFS, it loads
    thumbnails for all the files in that directory.

    Does it pull down each and every file and read all the contents of the
    file to create the thumbnails every time someone visits a directory?

    /B

  2. Re: Windows explorer over CIFS

    On Feb 28, 9:31 pm, byaa...@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    > When windows explorer goes to a directory mounted over CIFS, it loads
    > thumbnails for all the files in that directory.
    >
    > Does it pull down each and every file and read all the contents of the
    > file to create the thumbnails every time someone visits a directory?
    >
    > /B

    That depends.
    It depends on the Windows Explorer settings on the client. I forget
    the exact name of the setting involved, but the default is to create a
    file in the directory called Thumbs.db which - amazingly enough -
    contains those thumbnails. If you turn the parameter off then things
    get a little more intense when you visit the directory.

  3. Re: Windows explorer over CIFS

    On Feb 28, 1:21 pm, "Vlad_Inhaler"
    wrote:
    > On Feb 28, 9:31 pm, byaa...@yahoo.com wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > > When windows explorer goes to a directory mounted over CIFS, it loads
    > > thumbnails for all the files in that directory.

    > > Does it pull down each and every file and read all the contents of the
    > > file to create the thumbnails every time someone visits a directory?

    > > /B

    > That depends.
    > It depends on the Windows Explorer settings on the client. I forget
    > the exact name of the setting involved, but the default is to create a
    > file in the directory called Thumbs.db which - amazingly enough -
    > contains those thumbnails. If you turn the parameter off then things
    > get a little more intense when you visit the directory.

    That helps. So just to clarify, if there is a thumbs.db file, it just
    reads that for the thumbnail info for all files in that dir?

    Also, for full text searches over CIFS, I suspect explorer will have
    to haul each file down and perform the search locally as opposed to
    creating some sort of index on the directory right?

    Thanks

  4. Re: Windows explorer over CIFS

    On Mar 1, 12:30 am, byaa...@yahoo.com wrote:
    > On Feb 28, 1:21 pm, "Vlad_Inhaler"
    > wrote:
    >

    > > On Feb 28, 9:31 pm, byaa...@yahoo.com wrote:

    > > > Hi,
    > > > When windows explorer goes to a directory mounted over CIFS, it loads
    > > > thumbnails for all the files in that directory.

    > > > Does it pull down each and every file and read all the contents of the
    > > > file to create the thumbnails every time someone visits a directory?

    > > > /B

    > > That depends.
    > > It depends on the Windows Explorer settings on the client. I forget
    > > the exact name of the setting involved, but the default is to create a
    > > file in the directory called Thumbs.db which - amazingly enough -
    > > contains those thumbnails. If you turn the parameter off then things
    > > get a little more intense when you visit the directory.

    > That helps. So just to clarify, if there is a thumbs.db file, it just
    > reads that for the thumbnail info for all files in that dir?
    >
    > Also, for full text searches over CIFS, I suspect explorer will have
    > to haul each file down and perform the search locally as opposed to
    > creating some sort of index on the directory right?
    >
    > Thanks

    Well, this is stuff I have observed so it may be wrong but:
    - I would expect the Thumbs.db to be updated if files have been added/
    removed since it was last updated, possibls even if files have been
    changed (if implementing this myself I would only do that on a
    'Refresh')
    - Unless the smb protocol offers a 'search all files for this string
    on your local drive' command to the server, you should be right.
    If your Samba Server runs something like xosview, I would try
    searching a large directory and see if the network traffic suddenly
    jumps. Running smbstatus could also tell you something.

+ Reply to Thread