cygwin and linux permissions? - SMB

This is a discussion on cygwin and linux permissions? - SMB ; I have a linux box (FC5) with samba 3.0.23c and most things are running fine. Today I'm setting up cygwin on a windows box so a user can ssh into the box. I figure out how to have cygwin authenticate ...

  1. cygwin and linux permissions?

    I have a linux box (FC5) with samba 3.0.23c and most things are running fine.
    Today I'm setting up cygwin on a windows box so a user can ssh into the
    box. I figure out how to have cygwin authenticate using the samba PDC. The
    user gets the linux home directory that has been exported to windows H:\
    across samba. Now the user is trying to ssh back to a different unix box and
    ssh is complaining about file permissions. I track this back to samba in
    that the permissions seem odd.

    On linux I 'touch howard' and the file has permissions 0644, fine. On
    cygin and windows this file also has 0644, fine. On cygwin/windows Ichmod
    0600 $file' and 'ls -l $file' and the file still shows 0644 and no errors.

    On linux if I 'chmod 0600 $file' and then 'ls -l $file' on windows the
    file permissions still show 0644. No change, like the file permissions ar
    cached somewhere.

    Thoughts?

    Mike

  2. Re: cygwin and linux permissions?

    On 2007-02-07, Mike wrote:
    > I have a linux box (FC5) with samba 3.0.23c and most things are running fine.
    > Today I'm setting up cygwin on a windows box so a user can ssh into the
    > box. I figure out how to have cygwin authenticate using the samba PDC. The
    > user gets the linux home directory that has been exported to windows H:\
    > across samba. Now the user is trying to ssh back to a different unix box and
    > ssh is complaining about file permissions. I track this back to samba in
    > that the permissions seem odd.
    >
    > On linux I 'touch howard' and the file has permissions 0644, fine. On
    > cygin and windows this file also has 0644, fine. On cygwin/windows Ichmod
    > 0600 $file' and 'ls -l $file' and the file still shows 0644 and no errors.
    >
    > On linux if I 'chmod 0600 $file' and then 'ls -l $file' on windows the
    > file permissions still show 0644. No change, like the file permissions ar
    > cached somewhere.
    >
    > Thoughts?
    >
    > Mike

    Found this. In cygwin the typical setting of the CYGWIN variable is
    CYGWIN='tty ntsec'. When using samba it needs setting to CYGWIN='tty ntsec smbntsec'.

    Mike

+ Reply to Thread