SMB.CONF Root Account - SMB

This is a discussion on SMB.CONF Root Account - SMB ; I'm very new to Linux, but I have a SAMBA NAS running, best I can tell, a Linux version 2.4.18 on what I know to be an ADM5120 MIPS CPU. My immediate goal is to reconfigure the SMB.CONF file in ...

  1. SMB.CONF Root Account

    I'm very new to Linux, but I have a SAMBA NAS running, best I can tell,
    a Linux version 2.4.18 on what I know to be an ADM5120 MIPS CPU.

    My immediate goal is to reconfigure the SMB.CONF file in etc/Samba so
    as to set the box to serve as the WORKGROUP Master Browser. Seems I
    need to get into the "Root" account to be able to modify this file?
    Guess I wonder how I'm to login to this root account, through FTP, what
    password?

    If someone can point me towards a good reference, I will be grateful.

  2. Re: SMB.CONF Root Account

    gkamieneski@hotmail.com wrote:
    > I'm very new to Linux, but I have a SAMBA NAS running, best I can tell,
    > a Linux version 2.4.18 on what I know to be an ADM5120 MIPS CPU.
    >
    > My immediate goal is to reconfigure the SMB.CONF file in etc/Samba so
    > as to set the box to serve as the WORKGROUP Master Browser. Seems I
    > need to get into the "Root" account to be able to modify this file?
    > Guess I wonder how I'm to login to this root account, through FTP, what
    > password?
    >
    > If someone can point me towards a good reference, I will be grateful.

    1 - You are correct in that you will need root access to update that
    file
    2 - grabbing it with ftp (root not necessary), updating it and then
    putting it back again (with root) would be one way to update it. 'asc'
    mode rather than 'bin' mode would be a good idea for ftp. Take a
    backup!
    3 - what password? How should we know?
    You have not even started to think about the Samba config. I think you
    should get hold of someone who knows what (s)he is doing for that. It
    looks as though you are in the wrong place in the learning curve to be
    this ambitious, sorry.

  3. Re: SMB.CONF Root Account

    "Vlad_Inhaler" wrote in message
    news:1161517612.811853.197340@e3g2000cwe.googlegro ups.com...

    > gkamieneski@hotmail.com wrote:
    >> I'm very new to Linux, but I have a SAMBA NAS running, best I can tell,
    >> a Linux version 2.4.18 on what I know to be an ADM5120 MIPS CPU.
    >>
    >> My immediate goal is to reconfigure the SMB.CONF file in etc/Samba so
    >> as to set the box to serve as the WORKGROUP Master Browser. Seems I
    >> need to get into the "Root" account to be able to modify this file?
    >> Guess I wonder how I'm to login to this root account, through FTP, what
    >> password?
    >>
    >> If someone can point me towards a good reference, I will be grateful.

    without being admin (=root) on your linux box .. I don't see how you are
    going to manage that .. If you have no admin rights you can even try to log
    in over a moon bounce .. it won't help you at all :-)))

  4. Re: SMB.CONF Root Account

    imbsysop wrote:
    > "Vlad_Inhaler" wrote in message
    > news:1161517612.811853.197340@e3g2000cwe.googlegro ups.com...
    > >
    > > gkamieneski@hotmail.com wrote:
    > >> I'm very new to Linux, but I have a SAMBA NAS running, best I can tell,
    > >> a Linux version 2.4.18 on what I know to be an ADM5120 MIPS CPU.
    > >>
    > >> My immediate goal is to reconfigure the SMB.CONF file in etc/Samba so
    > >> as to set the box to serve as the WORKGROUP Master Browser. Seems I
    > >> need to get into the "Root" account to be able to modify this file?
    > >> Guess I wonder how I'm to login to this root account, through FTP, what
    > >> password?
    > >>
    > >> If someone can point me towards a good reference, I will be grateful.

    > without being admin (=root) on your linux box .. I don't see how you are
    > going to manage that .. If you have no admin rights you can even try to log
    > in over a moon bounce .. it won't help you at all :-)))

    Hmmm...the Samba web application allows me to login with the admin
    account however when I FTP into the box the same Admin password is not
    accepted. So without Admin access for FTP, I am not allowed to modify
    files there.

  5. Re: SMB.CONF Root Account

    On 22 Oct 2006 17:17:46 -0700, gkamieneski@hotmail.com wrote:

    >imbsysop wrote:
    >> "Vlad_Inhaler" wrote in message
    >> news:1161517612.811853.197340@e3g2000cwe.googlegro ups.com...

    >> without being admin (=root) on your linux box .. I don't see how you are
    >> going to manage that .. If you have no admin rights you can even try to log
    >> in over a moon bounce .. it won't help you at all :-)))

    >Hmmm...the Samba web application allows me to login with the admin
    >account however when I FTP into the box the same Admin password is not
    >accepted. So without Admin access for FTP, I am not allowed to modify
    >files there.

    Given that FTP stands for "File Transfert Protocol" I'm not sure what
    you want to, or will be able to "modify" through a file transfert
    protocol ?? especially as you can log in through the samba web
    application as you claim, what else do you possibly need ?

  6. Re: SMB.CONF Root Account

    On 22 Oct 2006 17:17:46 -0700, in comp.protocols.smb ,
    gkamieneski@hotmail.com wrote:

    >imbsysop wrote:
    >> "Vlad_Inhaler" wrote in message
    >> news:1161517612.811853.197340@e3g2000cwe.googlegro ups.com...
    >> >

    >Hmmm...the Samba web application allows me to login with the admin
    >account however when I FTP into the box the same Admin password is not
    >accepted. So without Admin access for FTP, I am not allowed to modify
    >files there.

    Why are you ftp'ing in at all? Just login to the box as root, and edit
    the file with vi or emacs. If you want a nice frontend for logging in
    remotely, try putty for a terminal, and vnc for a gui.

    If you forgot the root password, you have far bigger problems as you
    will be unable to administer the box at all.
    --
    Mark McIntyre

  7. Re: SMB.CONF Root Account

    Please forgive me for not being clear enough. This is a little
    TrendNet NAS box. Best I can tell it is using an ADM5120 MIPS-based
    CPU with 32Mb of RAM. I believe it is running a customized version of
    Linux 2.4.18 and there are references to Samba. I guess you could say
    that I'm trying to hack into it to have it serve purposes for which it
    is not originally intended. In it's current state it works as a NAS
    and as a FTP server. It also has flash memory card slots.

    The GUI front end (flash web) provided allows me to logon as an Admin
    and set up NAS shares and FTP configuration (Anonymous or private).
    This GUI front end however doesn't seem to allow me to do anything with
    the configuration files and in fact the only way I can see them is to
    FTP into the box.

    I was hoping to configure the box as a browse master for my little
    workgroup and maybe even figure out how to use it as a webserver.

  8. Re: SMB.CONF Root Account

    On 23 Oct 2006 06:00:24 -0700, gkamieneski@hotmail.com wrote:

    >Please forgive me for not being clear enough. This is a little
    >TrendNet NAS box. Best I can tell it is using an ADM5120 MIPS-based
    >CPU with 32Mb of RAM. I believe it is running a customized version of
    >Linux 2.4.18 and there are references to Samba. I guess you could say
    >that I'm trying to hack into it to have it serve purposes for which it
    >is not originally intended. In it's current state it works as a NAS
    >and as a FTP server. It also has flash memory card slots.
    >
    >The GUI front end (flash web) provided allows me to logon as an Admin
    >and set up NAS shares and FTP configuration (Anonymous or private).
    >This GUI front end however doesn't seem to allow me to do anything with
    >the configuration files and in fact the only way I can see them is to
    >FTP into the box.
    >
    >I was hoping to configure the box as a browse master for my little
    >workgroup and maybe even figure out how to use it as a webserver.

    Maybe the Linux distro is just stripped down to what it is supposed to
    manage, no other services provided/included .. what makes you think it
    is a full blown distribution ?

  9. Re: SMB.CONF Root Account

    imbsysop wrote:
    > On 23 Oct 2006 06:00:24 -0700, gkamieneski@hotmail.com wrote:
    >
    > >Please forgive me for not being clear enough. This is a little
    > >TrendNet NAS box. Best I can tell it is using an ADM5120 MIPS-based
    > >CPU with 32Mb of RAM. I believe it is running a customized version of
    > >Linux 2.4.18 and there are references to Samba. I guess you could say
    > >that I'm trying to hack into it to have it serve purposes for which it
    > >is not originally intended. In it's current state it works as a NAS
    > >and as a FTP server. It also has flash memory card slots.
    > >
    > >The GUI front end (flash web) provided allows me to logon as an Admin
    > >and set up NAS shares and FTP configuration (Anonymous or private).
    > >This GUI front end however doesn't seem to allow me to do anything with
    > >the configuration files and in fact the only way I can see them is to
    > >FTP into the box.
    > >
    > >I was hoping to configure the box as a browse master for my little
    > >workgroup and maybe even figure out how to use it as a webserver.

    > Maybe the Linux distro is just stripped down to what it is supposed to
    > manage, no other services provided/included .. what makes you think it
    > is a full blown distribution ?

    Maybe. If there's no way to edit the SMB.conf file, I'll just move on.
    I was able to use the WGet module to append a semicolon and the
    PS>/temp/log command to make it write a log file.

  10. Re: SMB.CONF Root Account

    On 23 Oct 2006 06:00:24 -0700, in comp.protocols.smb ,
    gkamieneski@hotmail.com wrote:

    >Please forgive me for not being clear enough. This is a little
    >TrendNet NAS box.
    >
    >I was hoping to configure the box as a browse master for my little
    >workgroup and maybe even figure out how to use it as a webserver.

    I'd be pretty surprised if you could do that. The OS is probably cut
    down to provide smb and not a lot else. You'd have to ask TrendNet
    though.

    --
    Mark McIntyre

  11. Re: SMB.CONF Root Account

    Mark McIntyre wrote:
    > On 23 Oct 2006 06:00:24 -0700, in comp.protocols.smb ,
    > gkamieneski@hotmail.com wrote:
    >
    > >Please forgive me for not being clear enough. This is a little
    > >TrendNet NAS box.
    > >
    > >I was hoping to configure the box as a browse master for my little
    > >workgroup and maybe even figure out how to use it as a webserver.

    > I'd be pretty surprised if you could do that. The OS is probably cut
    > down to provide smb and not a lot else. You'd have to ask TrendNet
    > though.
    >
    > --
    > Mark McIntyre

    Pretty sure TrendNet doesn't support anything besides its narrow
    intentions, NAS, FTP, Samba Server. I can piggy-back Linux commands
    onto URLs within the scheduled downloads module. Oh, well.

+ Reply to Thread