SAMBA OWNERSHIP - SMB

This is a discussion on SAMBA OWNERSHIP - SMB ; hi i have a samba server configured and i am facing an ownership problem..i f acopy a file owned by root to my windows machine and then copy it back to te unix machine,to the same location,the permissions are changed ...

  1. SAMBA OWNERSHIP

    hi

    i have a samba server configured and i am facing an ownership
    problem..i f acopy a file owned by root to my windows machine and then
    copy it back to te unix machine,to the same location,the permissions
    are changed and the owner is becoming nobody....

    [issi]
    comment = issi
    path = /export/home/issi/
    create mask = 0755
    writable = yes
    public = YES
    security = SHARE
    encrypt passwords = yes
    smb passwd file = /usr/local/samba/bin/smbpasswd
    hosts allow = all

  2. Re: SAMBA OWNERSHIP

    rakesh1234@gmail.com wrote:

    > i have a samba server configured and i am facing an ownership
    > problem..i f acopy a file owned by root to my windows machine and then
    > copy it back to te unix machine,to the same location,the permissions
    > are changed and the owner is becoming nobody....

    Of course. When someone writes a new file, the ownership is that of the
    creator. If they are overwriting an existing file then the final ownership
    is dependant on how that file was opened and filled. In the case of Samba,
    and similar products, then the file will be "created" rather than opened,
    so takes the copier's user/group.

    You shouldn't really be publicly modifying root's files anyway.

    --
    Eric

+ Reply to Thread