Hi,

Starting from few weeks ago, our connections from PCs (XP Prof) to
linux samba-shares are behaving strangely. We are editing some
html-pages on Fedora Core 4 and 5 boxes with FrontPage, and closing
the program automatically closes also the samba connection. Quite
often *XP also crashes (boots)* at the same time! Moving files
around or editing with an ascii-editor works without problems.

The samba version on both FC4/5 is 3.0.23a, and the security mode
used is share (it seems that there is no problem in a FC5 box that
runs samba with security=user). In the latest FC5 box I have
smb.conf like this:

[global]
workgroup = x
server string = x
security = share
passdb backend = smbpasswd:/etc/samba/smbpasswd
log file = /usr/local/samba/var/%m.log
max log size = 50
dns proxy = no
force create mode = 0664
force directory mode = 0775
load printers = no
[web]
comment = web
path = /web
read only = no
valid users = web
hosts allow = x

According to log files it is the XP side that explicitly closes the
connection!?

Any ideas what is going on? It has been several years since I last
time saw XP crashing without any hardware problems, so I think this
is very strange, indeed.

Regards,
Reijo Rasinkangas
http://cc.oulu.fi/~rar/