Mac OS X 10.4 and D-Link DSM-G600 (Samba 2 ?) - SMB

This is a discussion on Mac OS X 10.4 and D-Link DSM-G600 (Samba 2 ?) - SMB ; Hi. (This message is similar to one I already posted on comp.sys.mac.system, but with more information.) I purchased a D-Link DSM-G600 (rev 1a) Network Storage Enclosure and I am having problems getting it to work with my Apple iMac with ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Mac OS X 10.4 and D-Link DSM-G600 (Samba 2 ?)

  1. Mac OS X 10.4 and D-Link DSM-G600 (Samba 2 ?)

    Hi.

    (This message is similar to one I already posted on comp.sys.mac.system,
    but with more information.)

    I purchased a D-Link DSM-G600 (rev 1a) Network Storage Enclosure and I
    am having problems getting it to work with my Apple iMac with Mac OS X
    10.4.7. The device claims to be compatible with OS X 10.2/10.3, but
    10.4 was probably not released at the time the DSM-G600 was released.

    I am able to connect to it just fine from Windows XP Professional and
    from SUSE Linux 10.1 with Samba 3.0.22.

    In the OS X Finder I can go to the "Network" folder and see "Swarclaire"
    (my Windows XP computer name), "Susevm1" (my SUSE Linux computer name)
    and "Dsm-G600" (my DSM-G600, obviously).

    When I go to either Swarclaire or Susevm1 finder shows me a box with the
    message "Select the SMB/CIFS shared volume you want to connect to".

    If I select a share on the Windows box Finder immediately mounts the
    selected share.

    If I select a share on the SUSE Linux box a window pops up:
    "SMB/CIFS File System Authentication
    Enter the workgroup or domain and your user name and password to access
    the server "SUSEVM1.""
    I simply press enter (I have the server set up to not need a password
    right now) and the share is mounted in Finder.

    The DSM-G600 acts similar to Linux, in that I get a box saying:
    "SMB/CIFS File System Authentication
    Enter the workgroup or domain and your user name and password to access
    the server "DSM-G600.""

    However here when I press enter (no password) I get an error "The alias
    "Dsm-G600" could not be opened, because the original item cannot be found."

    Mac OS X has another way to connect to a SMB/CIFS share, and that is the
    Finder "Connect To Server" command. With this command I can get to both
    the Windows and Linux boxes with either a list of shares:
    smb://ipaddr
    Or the desired share:
    smb://ipaddr/sharename
    just fine (again, with Windows not requiring a logon and Linux requiring
    a logon but no password).

    But with the DSM-G600 if I try just a list of shares (smb://ipaddr), I
    get a login window, and when I login with no password I get the following:
    "The Finder cannot complete the operation because some data in
    "smb://192.168.0.102" could not be read or written.
    (Error code -36)."

    If I specify a share name (smb://ipaddr/sharename) I get a login
    request, but when I login with no password I get:
    "Could not connect to the server because the name or password is not
    correct."

    Doing a little web searching I saw reference to the smbclient command.
    So from the Mac OS X Terminal I have tried:

    smbclient //ipaddr/sharename
    and I get back the following:
    Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 2.2.8a]

    I can then do dir and get a listing of all of the expected files! So
    that's good, at least. But it does not really help me access it from
    the Finder, which still does not work.

    It does tell me, though, that the DSM-G600 is using Samba 2.2.8a, which
    I gather is not a very current version. I'm guessing that there must be
    an issue with Mac OS X 10.4 Finder and Samba 2.2. In fact, I was able
    to find a single old message on comp.protocols.smb that appeared to
    indicate someone had a similar problem with OS X 10.4 and Samba:

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....585e745763b721

    I can only assume that he was trying to connect to Samba 2 and not Samba
    3, but it's a good guess...?

    In the end I'm guessing I would get nowhere trying to convince D-Link to
    change to Samba 3. I wonder if I would get anywhere with Apple seeing
    if they can get Finder in OS X 10.4 to work with Samba 2. I guess I can
    only try. But if anyone has any other thoughts/insights/ideas I would
    love to hear them!

    Thanks,
    Frank


  2. Re: Mac OS X 10.4 and D-Link DSM-G600 (Samba 2 ?)

    In article ,
    Frank Swarbrick wrote:

    > Hi.
    >
    > (This message is similar to one I already posted on comp.sys.mac.system,
    > but with more information.)
    >
    > I purchased a D-Link DSM-G600 (rev 1a) Network Storage Enclosure and I
    > am having problems getting it to work with my Apple iMac with Mac OS X
    > 10.4.7. The device claims to be compatible with OS X 10.2/10.3, but
    > 10.4 was probably not released at the time the DSM-G600 was released.
    >
    > I am able to connect to it just fine from Windows XP Professional and
    > from SUSE Linux 10.1 with Samba 3.0.22.
    >
    > In the OS X Finder I can go to the "Network" folder and see "Swarclaire"
    > (my Windows XP computer name), "Susevm1" (my SUSE Linux computer name)
    > and "Dsm-G600" (my DSM-G600, obviously).
    >
    > When I go to either Swarclaire or Susevm1 finder shows me a box with the
    > message "Select the SMB/CIFS shared volume you want to connect to".
    >
    > If I select a share on the Windows box Finder immediately mounts the
    > selected share.
    >
    > If I select a share on the SUSE Linux box a window pops up:
    > "SMB/CIFS File System Authentication
    > Enter the workgroup or domain and your user name and password to access
    > the server "SUSEVM1.""
    > I simply press enter (I have the server set up to not need a password
    > right now) and the share is mounted in Finder.
    >
    > The DSM-G600 acts similar to Linux, in that I get a box saying:
    > "SMB/CIFS File System Authentication
    > Enter the workgroup or domain and your user name and password to access
    > the server "DSM-G600.""
    >
    > However here when I press enter (no password) I get an error "The alias
    > "Dsm-G600" could not be opened, because the original item cannot be found."
    >
    > Mac OS X has another way to connect to a SMB/CIFS share, and that is the
    > Finder "Connect To Server" command. With this command I can get to both
    > the Windows and Linux boxes with either a list of shares:
    > smb://ipaddr
    > Or the desired share:
    > smb://ipaddr/sharename
    > just fine (again, with Windows not requiring a logon and Linux requiring
    > a logon but no password).
    >
    > But with the DSM-G600 if I try just a list of shares (smb://ipaddr), I
    > get a login window, and when I login with no password I get the following:
    > "The Finder cannot complete the operation because some data in
    > "smb://192.168.0.102" could not be read or written.
    > (Error code -36)."
    >
    > If I specify a share name (smb://ipaddr/sharename) I get a login
    > request, but when I login with no password I get:
    > "Could not connect to the server because the name or password is not
    > correct."
    >
    > Doing a little web searching I saw reference to the smbclient command.
    > So from the Mac OS X Terminal I have tried:
    >
    > smbclient //ipaddr/sharename
    > and I get back the following:
    > Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 2.2.8a]
    >
    > I can then do dir and get a listing of all of the expected files! So
    > that's good, at least. But it does not really help me access it from
    > the Finder, which still does not work.
    >
    > It does tell me, though, that the DSM-G600 is using Samba 2.2.8a, which
    > I gather is not a very current version. I'm guessing that there must be
    > an issue with Mac OS X 10.4 Finder and Samba 2.2. In fact, I was able
    > to find a single old message on comp.protocols.smb that appeared to
    > indicate someone had a similar problem with OS X 10.4 and Samba:
    >
    > http://groups.google.com/group/comp....ead/d9f6dd3d74
    > cf75c/ae585e745763b721?tvc=1&q=mac+os+x+10.4#ae585e745763b721
    >
    > I can only assume that he was trying to connect to Samba 2 and not Samba
    > 3, but it's a good guess...?
    >
    > In the end I'm guessing I would get nowhere trying to convince D-Link to
    > change to Samba 3. I wonder if I would get anywhere with Apple seeing
    > if they can get Finder in OS X 10.4 to work with Samba 2. I guess I can
    > only try. But if anyone has any other thoughts/insights/ideas I would
    > love to hear them!
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Frank


    You don't want to hear this but I'll repeat what I said in an earlier
    post. Based on DLINK's responses to you, they don't really offer much
    support for this device. If I'd spent $150 for a piece of hardware that
    says it supports my system and find out that it doesn't, I'd return it.
    Their support for Rendezvous (which is now called something else in
    10.4) might mean that your version of MacOS version isn't supported.
    Good luck getting DLINK to admit that. Seems from your email exchange
    that they're doing the absolute minimum to "support" your device.

    Most credit cards have a 30-60 window in which you can contest a charge
    (except AMEX or premium platinum/gold cards). You'll eventually have to
    decide if this is worth the effort to make it work or accept the fact
    that it won't work with MacOS X and keep it just for your XP system.

    How much time have you spent trying to get this thing to work? Is it
    worth it to you? How much more time will you have to spend before
    you've had "enough"?

    --
    DeeDee, don't press that button! DeeDee! NO! Dee...




  3. Re: Mac OS X 10.4 and D-Link DSM-G600 (Samba 2 ?)

    Michael Vilain wrote:
    > You don't want to hear this but I'll repeat what I said in an earlier
    > post. Based on DLINK's responses to you, they don't really offer much
    > support for this device. If I'd spent $150 for a piece of hardware that
    > says it supports my system and find out that it doesn't, I'd return it.
    > Their support for Rendezvous (which is now called something else in
    > 10.4) might mean that your version of MacOS version isn't supported.
    > Good luck getting DLINK to admit that. Seems from your email exchange
    > that they're doing the absolute minimum to "support" your device.
    >
    > Most credit cards have a 30-60 window in which you can contest a charge
    > (except AMEX or premium platinum/gold cards). You'll eventually have to
    > decide if this is worth the effort to make it work or accept the fact
    > that it won't work with MacOS X and keep it just for your XP system.
    >
    > How much time have you spent trying to get this thing to work? Is it
    > worth it to you? How much more time will you have to spend before
    > you've had "enough"?


    Heh heh, you're right, I don't want to hear that. :-)

    Yes, I probably should just return it. And perhaps I will. But let me
    obsess a bit longer. :-)

    Does anyone know of a NAS type device that *does* work with both Windows
    and Mac OS X? And doesn't cost several thousand dollars?

    Thanks,
    Frank

  4. Re: Mac OS X 10.4 and D-Link DSM-G600 (Samba 2 ?)

    Frank Swarbrick wrote:
    > Michael Vilain wrote:
    >
    >> You don't want to hear this but I'll repeat what I said in an earlier
    >> post. Based on DLINK's responses to you, they don't really offer much
    >> support for this device. If I'd spent $150 for a piece of hardware
    >> that says it supports my system and find out that it doesn't, I'd
    >> return it. Their support for Rendezvous (which is now called
    >> something else in 10.4) might mean that your version of MacOS version
    >> isn't supported. Good luck getting DLINK to admit that. Seems from
    >> your email exchange that they're doing the absolute minimum to
    >> "support" your device.
    >>
    >> Most credit cards have a 30-60 window in which you can contest a
    >> charge (except AMEX or premium platinum/gold cards). You'll
    >> eventually have to decide if this is worth the effort to make it work
    >> or accept the fact that it won't work with MacOS X and keep it just
    >> for your XP system.
    >>
    >> How much time have you spent trying to get this thing to work? Is it
    >> worth it to you? How much more time will you have to spend before
    >> you've had "enough"?

    >
    >
    > Heh heh, you're right, I don't want to hear that. :-)
    >
    > Yes, I probably should just return it. And perhaps I will. But let me
    > obsess a bit longer. :-)
    >
    > Does anyone know of a NAS type device that *does* work with both Windows
    > and Mac OS X? And doesn't cost several thousand dollars?


    A few hours later...

    SUCCESS!!!

    Finally searched on the proper keywords and came up with this site:
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301580

    Turns out that unlike Mac OS X 10.3 (and 10.2 I assume), the Mac OS X
    10.4 SMB/CIFS client supports by default only encrypted passwords. And
    apparently the D-Link DSM-G600 does not support encrypted passwords.

    All I had to do was tell Mac OS X to allow unencrypted passwords.

    I used Terminal to create /etc/nsmb.conf (sudo pico /etc/nsmb.conf), and
    wrote the following lines to that file:
    [default]
    minauth=none

    The did:
    sudo chmod a+r /etc/nsmb.conf
    Rebooted and voila, it works!

    Sometimes persistance pays off.

    Hope this helps others with similar problems.

    Frank

  5. Re: Mac OS X 10.4 and D-Link DSM-G600 (Samba 2 ?)

    In article <%_7Lg.6413$xQ1.5842@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.n et>,
    Frank Swarbrick wrote:

    > Frank Swarbrick wrote:
    > > Michael Vilain wrote:
    > >
    > >> You don't want to hear this but I'll repeat what I said in an earlier
    > >> post. Based on DLINK's responses to you, they don't really offer much
    > >> support for this device. If I'd spent $150 for a piece of hardware
    > >> that says it supports my system and find out that it doesn't, I'd
    > >> return it. Their support for Rendezvous (which is now called
    > >> something else in 10.4) might mean that your version of MacOS version
    > >> isn't supported. Good luck getting DLINK to admit that. Seems from
    > >> your email exchange that they're doing the absolute minimum to
    > >> "support" your device.
    > >>
    > >> Most credit cards have a 30-60 window in which you can contest a
    > >> charge (except AMEX or premium platinum/gold cards). You'll
    > >> eventually have to decide if this is worth the effort to make it work
    > >> or accept the fact that it won't work with MacOS X and keep it just
    > >> for your XP system.
    > >>
    > >> How much time have you spent trying to get this thing to work? Is it
    > >> worth it to you? How much more time will you have to spend before
    > >> you've had "enough"?

    > >
    > >
    > > Heh heh, you're right, I don't want to hear that. :-)
    > >
    > > Yes, I probably should just return it. And perhaps I will. But let me
    > > obsess a bit longer. :-)
    > >
    > > Does anyone know of a NAS type device that *does* work with both Windows
    > > and Mac OS X? And doesn't cost several thousand dollars?

    >
    > A few hours later...
    >
    > SUCCESS!!!
    >
    > Finally searched on the proper keywords and came up with this site:
    > http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301580
    >
    > Turns out that unlike Mac OS X 10.3 (and 10.2 I assume), the Mac OS X
    > 10.4 SMB/CIFS client supports by default only encrypted passwords. And
    > apparently the D-Link DSM-G600 does not support encrypted passwords.
    >
    > All I had to do was tell Mac OS X to allow unencrypted passwords.
    >
    > I used Terminal to create /etc/nsmb.conf (sudo pico /etc/nsmb.conf), and
    > wrote the following lines to that file:
    > [default]
    > minauth=none
    >
    > The did:
    > sudo chmod a+r /etc/nsmb.conf
    > Rebooted and voila, it works!
    >
    > Sometimes persistance pays off.
    >
    > Hope this helps others with similar problems.
    >
    > Frank


    Whoa. I thought the encrypted/unencrypted SMB share issue was dead with
    the retirement of Windows 98. Used to be that shares didn't have
    encrypted passwords and if you enabled them on SMB, you had to do a
    registry hack on Win98 to get it to authenticate. Guess D-LINK did the
    least-common denonminator thing here so that their NAS could talk to the
    widest range of systems.

    --
    DeeDee, don't press that button! DeeDee! NO! Dee...




  6. Re: Mac OS X 10.4 and D-Link DSM-G600 (Samba 2 ?)

    In the interests of fairness to D-Link, it appears that they did have an
    answer to my issue on their website already:
    http://support.dlink.com/faq/view.asp?prod_id=2184

    Not sure why neither I nor the original "support" guy could find this,
    but...


    Frank

+ Reply to Thread