Filenames with special characters - SMB

This is a discussion on Filenames with special characters - SMB ; Filenames with special characters ! { } etc cannot be displayed correctly under cmd or command.com though everything is fine under the file manager (windows). Using samba 3.0 on Fedora. Anybody can give me a hand?...

  1. Filenames with special characters

    Filenames with special characters ! { } etc cannot be displayed correctly
    under cmd or command.com though everything is fine under the file manager
    (windows). Using samba 3.0 on Fedora. Anybody can give me a hand?

  2. Re: Filenames with special characters

    On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 11:15:56 +0800, in comp.protocols.smb , "kttse"
    wrote:

    >Filenames with special characters ! { } etc cannot be displayed correctly
    >under cmd or command.com though everything is fine under the file manager
    >(windows). Using samba 3.0 on Fedora. Anybody can give me a hand?

    As far as I know, this is nothing to do with Samba, its to do with how
    MS's command interpreter handles unusual filenames.

    --
    Mark McIntyre

  3. Re: Filenames with special characters

    Forgot to mention that I didn't come across such problem in the days of
    samba 2.2, moreover, local files with filenames such as TEST.{_} in windows
    client are perfectly okay, so I wonder why it is related to MS's command
    interpreter.

    "Mark McIntyre" ???
    news:enddb2h1jec0bisae73659pc8ao1sbku1d@4ax.com ???...
    > On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 11:15:56 +0800, in comp.protocols.smb , "kttse"
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Filenames with special characters ! { } etc cannot be displayed correctly
    > >under cmd or command.com though everything is fine under the file manager
    > >(windows). Using samba 3.0 on Fedora. Anybody can give me a hand?

    > As far as I know, this is nothing to do with Samba, its to do with how
    > MS's command interpreter handles unusual filenames.
    >

    > --
    > Mark McIntyre

  4. Re: Filenames with special characters

    On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 18:34:34 +0800, in comp.protocols.smb , "kttse"
    wrote:

    >Forgot to mention that I didn't come across such problem in the days of
    >samba 2.2, moreover, local files with filenames such as TEST.{_} in windows
    >client are perfectly okay, so I wonder why it is related to MS's command
    >interpreter.

    Can't help you there. All I can say is that I get no problems with
    Samba 3.0.14a-2 and 4nt as my Windows commandline interface, but if I
    rename a file using cmd.exe it gets hosed.
    --
    Mark McIntyre

+ Reply to Thread