sambstatus - SMB

This is a discussion on sambstatus - SMB ; I have a Dialogic based application running on WIndows 2000. It is playing promts that live on an AIX 5 server and it accesses them through samba. Each time it plays a prompt, and I run sambstatus, I see another ...

  1. sambstatus

    I have a Dialogic based application running on WIndows 2000. It is playing
    promts that live on an AIX 5 server and it accesses them through samba. Each
    time it plays a prompt, and I run sambstatus, I see another lock appear. The
    number of locks never decreases until I stop the application or reboot the
    NT.

    And I'm talking hundreds of locks.

    If I have a lock listed on the smbstatus output, does this imply an open
    file on the NT?

    Thanks - Jack

  2. Re: sambstatus

    On Wed, 05 Jul 2006 14:28:48 -0400, Jack Gostl wrote:

    > I have a Dialogic based application running on WIndows 2000. It is playing
    > promts that live on an AIX 5 server and it accesses them through samba.
    > Each time it plays a prompt, and I run sambstatus, I see another lock
    > appear. The number of locks never decreases until I stop the application
    > or reboot the NT.
    >
    > And I'm talking hundreds of locks.
    >
    > If I have a lock listed on the smbstatus output, does this imply an open
    > file on the NT?

    Might be a dead lock record. There's an issue with this we've fixed
    for 3.0.23rc3 and above (3.0.23 coming out "real soon now").

    Jeremy.

  3. Re: sambstatus

    "Jeremy Allison" wrote in message
    newsan.2006.07.05.20.24.42.900433@samba.org...
    > On Wed, 05 Jul 2006 14:28:48 -0400, Jack Gostl wrote:
    >
    >> I have a Dialogic based application running on WIndows 2000. It is
    >> playing
    >> promts that live on an AIX 5 server and it accesses them through samba.
    >> Each time it plays a prompt, and I run sambstatus, I see another lock
    >> appear. The number of locks never decreases until I stop the application
    >> or reboot the NT.
    >>
    >> And I'm talking hundreds of locks.
    >>
    >> If I have a lock listed on the smbstatus output, does this imply an open
    >> file on the NT?

    > Might be a dead lock record. There's an issue with this we've fixed
    > for 3.0.23rc3 and above (3.0.23 coming out "real soon now").
    >
    > Jeremy.

    Do you think its worth my upgrading from 3.0.11? The upgrade is unpleasant,
    but the crashes when we break 2000 open files are more unpleasant.

  4. Re: sambstatus

    On Wed, 05 Jul 2006 17:59:37 -0400, Jack Gostl wrote:

    > Do you think its worth my upgrading from 3.0.11? The upgrade is
    > unpleasant, but the crashes when we break 2000 open files are more
    > unpleasant.

    We just released 3.0.23. I'd upgrade - this code is significantly
    better than 3.0.11 (for the Coverity and Klokwork fixes alone :-).

    Jeremy.

  5. Re: sambstatus

    "Jeremy Allison" wrote in message
    newsan.2006.07.10.22.26.46.215178@samba.org...
    > On Wed, 05 Jul 2006 17:59:37 -0400, Jack Gostl wrote:
    >
    >> Do you think its worth my upgrading from 3.0.11? The upgrade is
    >> unpleasant, but the crashes when we break 2000 open files are more
    >> unpleasant.

    > We just released 3.0.23. I'd upgrade - this code is significantly
    > better than 3.0.11 (for the Coverity and Klokwork fixes alone :-).

    I am now current, running 3.0.23rc3. I sitll have the problem. Doing a
    smbstatus, gives me:

    155506 297 DENY_NONE 0x20089 RDONLY EXCLUSIVE+BATCH
    /reco
    rds/vocab 48888927.1 Wed Jul 12 07:46:56 2006

    The Win2K box thinks the file is closed, but an fuser on the host thinks its
    open.

    I'm running AIX 5100-03. I have kept my smb.conf simple:

    [global]
    workgroup = ARGOS-SAMBA
    encrypt passwords = Yes
    netbios name = aix433
    [vocab]
    comment = Vocabulary
    path = /records/vocab
    writeable = Yes
    browsable = Yes
    (....plus some more files....)

    I'm getting pretty desperate. Next step will be to switch to NFS. Ugh!

+ Reply to Thread