terastation smb: copy from USB attached hard drive? - SMB

This is a discussion on terastation smb: copy from USB attached hard drive? - SMB ; Dear smb experts: I am usually a linux guy, though with not much networking experience. I just bought a terastation, which serves up SMB. (can't be worse than NFS---except for the file size limits.) interestingly enough, the terastation has USB ...

  1. terastation smb: copy from USB attached hard drive?

    Dear smb experts: I am usually a linux guy, though with not much
    networking experience. I just bought a terastation, which serves up
    SMB. (can't be worse than NFS---except for the file size limits.)
    interestingly enough, the terastation has USB ports, and can see
    external drives on it, too. nice.

    now, it sits on a 100MB ethernet network. if I smbmount the two drives
    on my linux machine, and do a "cp -rfd /mnt/smb1 /mnt/smb2", does the
    file copy work from /mnt/smb1 to /mnt/smb2 (fast over USB 2.0), or does
    it first travel from /mnt/smb1 to my computer and then to /mnt/smb2
    (really slow over 100MBit) ? if it is the latter, is there a utility
    that can speed this up?

    sincerely,

    /iaw

  2. Re: terastation smb: copy from USB attached hard drive?

    ivowel@gmail.com wrote:
    > Dear smb experts: I am usually a linux guy, though with not much
    > networking experience. I just bought a terastation, which serves up
    > SMB. (can't be worse than NFS---except for the file size limits.)
    > interestingly enough, the terastation has USB ports, and can see
    > external drives on it, too. nice.
    >
    > now, it sits on a 100MB ethernet network. if I smbmount the two
    > drives on my linux machine, and do a "cp -rfd /mnt/smb1 /mnt/smb2",
    > does the file copy work from /mnt/smb1 to /mnt/smb2 (fast over USB
    > 2.0), or does it first travel from /mnt/smb1 to my computer and then
    > to /mnt/smb2 (really slow over 100MBit) ? if it is the latter, is
    > there a utility that can speed this up?
    >
    > sincerely,

    The latter. Using "rsync" might help avoid having to reduplicate files if
    you have to do it later.

  3. Re: terastation smb: copy from USB attached hard drive?

    yikes. has anyone succeeded in installing a basic shell in the
    terastation?

    regards, /iaw

    Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    > ivowel@gmail.com wrote:
    > > Dear smb experts: I am usually a linux guy, though with not much
    > > networking experience. I just bought a terastation, which serves up
    > > SMB. (can't be worse than NFS---except for the file size limits.)
    > > interestingly enough, the terastation has USB ports, and can see
    > > external drives on it, too. nice.
    > >
    > > now, it sits on a 100MB ethernet network. if I smbmount the two
    > > drives on my linux machine, and do a "cp -rfd /mnt/smb1 /mnt/smb2",
    > > does the file copy work from /mnt/smb1 to /mnt/smb2 (fast over USB
    > > 2.0), or does it first travel from /mnt/smb1 to my computer and then
    > > to /mnt/smb2 (really slow over 100MBit) ? if it is the latter, is
    > > there a utility that can speed this up?
    > >
    > > sincerely,

    > The latter. Using "rsync" might help avoid having to reduplicate files if
    > you have to do it later.

  4. Re: terastation smb: copy from USB attached hard drive?

    ivowel@gmail.com wrote:

    > yikes. has anyone succeeded in installing a basic shell in the
    > terastation?

    There are firmware images and instructions available upon how to do that.
    Done the googling for you:
    http://www.terastation.org/wiki/Main_Page

    Actually, quite a while ago I have done the same for a terastation@orkplace,
    and it works (though not tried the extra usb ports yet).