File Transfer - Permission Denied - SMB

This is a discussion on File Transfer - Permission Denied - SMB ; Hi all, I set up a Samba server to move files between two laptops, one with Windows XP Home and another with SuSE Linux 10.1 (nice!) In my Suse machine I was able to see the XP share and I ...

  1. File Transfer - Permission Denied

    Hi all,

    I set up a Samba server to move files between two laptops, one with Windows
    XP Home and another with SuSE Linux 10.1 (nice!)

    In my Suse machine I was able to see the XP share and I copied a large
    amount of files from the XP to the local hdd; This worked flawlessly;
    however, it seems that the original file permissions were not retained.

    Now that I was done with the compulsory re-installation of XP, I tried to
    copy the files back to the windows share from my hdd using drag-n-drop from
    KDE. This time I received the message that accessing the files was not
    permitted!

    The files have ownership of "root:users". When I tried to chown the files as
    root, I got the following message:

    chown: changing ownership of `Abigail hospital.jpg': Operation not permitted

    (But I'm root dang it!!)

    Any information on getting the files back to the XP machine will be greatly
    appreciated,

    ACW

  2. Re: File Transfer - Permission Denied

    "ACW" wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I set up a Samba server to move files between two laptops, one with
    > Windows
    > XP Home and another with SuSE Linux 10.1 (nice!)
    >
    > In my Suse machine I was able to see the XP share and I copied a large
    > amount of files from the XP to the local hdd; This worked flawlessly;
    > however, it seems that the original file permissions were not retained.
    >
    > Now that I was done with the compulsory re-installation of XP, I tried to
    > copy the files back to the windows share from my hdd using drag-n-drop
    > from
    > KDE. This time I received the message that accessing the files was not
    > permitted!
    >
    > The files have ownership of "root:users". When I tried to chown the files
    > as
    > root, I got the following message:

    You mounted the XP share as "root", didn't you? Preserving ownership between
    Windows and UNIX or Linux is an adventure, and needs to be done carefully.

    > chown: changing ownership of `Abigail hospital.jpg': Operation not
    > permitted

    Is this on your local system, or on the Samba system?

    > (But I'm root dang it!!)
    >
    > Any information on getting the files back to the XP machine will be
    > greatly
    > appreciated,

    What is mounted where?

  3. Re: File Transfer - Permission Denied

    Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

    > "ACW" wrote in message
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I set up a Samba server to move files between two laptops, one with
    >> Windows
    >> XP Home and another with SuSE Linux 10.1 (nice!)
    >>
    >> In my Suse machine I was able to see the XP share and I copied a large
    >> amount of files from the XP to the local hdd; This worked flawlessly;
    >> however, it seems that the original file permissions were not retained.
    >>
    >> Now that I was done with the compulsory re-installation of XP, I tried to
    >> copy the files back to the windows share from my hdd using drag-n-drop
    >> from
    >> KDE. This time I received the message that accessing the files was not
    >> permitted!
    >>
    >> The files have ownership of "root:users". When I tried to chown the files
    >> as
    >> root, I got the following message:

    > You mounted the XP share as "root", didn't you? Preserving ownership
    > between Windows and UNIX or Linux is an adventure, and needs to be done
    > carefully.

    No, I did not mount the XP share as root. KDE can act as a smb client as
    long as you provide your user name and password, then you just open the
    share as any other folder.

    >> chown: changing ownership of `Abigail hospital.jpg': Operation not
    >> permitted

    > Is this on your local system, or on the Samba system?

    This is the local system; I have all the files in my Suse laptop. I just
    need to transfer them to the XP laptop via smb.

    KDE can display data in the XP laptop and the Samba server:

    smb://TUX-NET/laptop/
    smb://TUX-NET/data/

    >> (But I'm root dang it!!)
    >>
    >> Any information on getting the files back to the XP machine will be
    >> greatly
    >> appreciated,

    > What is mounted where?

    The biggest problem is being able to chown permissions from root back to
    user. I'm surprised I couldn't accomplish this as root!

  4. Re: File Transfer - Permission Denied

    ACW wrote:

    > The biggest problem is being able to chown permissions from root back to
    > user. I'm surprised I couldn't accomplish this as root!

    Since linux smbmount has no clue about local windows "security" registry and
    local user accounts as well as windows acls, there is no way for
    linux/smbfs on the client side, to change ownerships on remote filesystem,
    either. Same goes for fat32 mounts - fat32 simply has no
    ownership/group/permissions comparable to linux, so where should linux put
    them?

  5. Problem Solved - Mystery Remains

    ACW wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I set up a Samba server to move files between two laptops, one with
    > Windows XP Home and another with SuSE Linux 10.1 (nice!)
    >
    > In my Suse machine I was able to see the XP share and I copied a large
    > amount of files from the XP to the local hdd; This worked flawlessly;
    > however, it seems that the original file permissions were not retained.
    >
    > Now that I was done with the compulsory re-installation of XP, I tried to
    > copy the files back to the windows share from my hdd using drag-n-drop
    > from KDE. This time I received the message that accessing the files was
    > not permitted!
    >
    > The files have ownership of "root:users". When I tried to chown the files
    > as root, I got the following message:
    >
    > chown: changing ownership of `Abigail hospital.jpg': Operation not
    > permitted
    >
    > (But I'm root dang it!!)
    >
    > Any information on getting the files back to the XP machine will be
    > greatly appreciated,
    >
    > ACW

    I was finally able to transfer the files back to the XP laptop by *first*
    copying them to my own home directory within my Suse laptop.

    When I originally extracted the files from the windos machine, I did not
    have sufficient space in my home dir, therefore I had put them in another
    partition (hda2) which Suse created at installation time for the laptop's
    OEM windos file:

    xp --(smb)--> hda1:/home/me/data(no sufficient space)--> (hda2:/windows/)

    For some reason, within Linux, I was able to copy between smb shares and my
    home dir, but not allowed to copy between smb shares and my other
    partitions; therefore I used my home dir as a junction to move data.

    Additionally, I was not allowed to change ownership of the transfered files
    within hda2, even as root.

+ Reply to Thread