Still can't network Linux and Windows - SMB

This is a discussion on Still can't network Linux and Windows - SMB ; Kari, Thanks for the link. -- Regards, Leland C. Scott KC8LDO "Kari Hurtta" wrote in message news:5d64jrdemo.fsf@attruh.keh.iki.fi... > Discussed on > > http://us4.samba.org/samba/docs/man/...sControls.html > > > There seems to be quite lot of strange things what samba does (and not ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 29 of 29

  1. Re: Still can't network Linux and Windows

    Kari,

    Thanks for the link.

    --
    Regards,
    Leland C. Scott
    KC8LDO

    "Kari Hurtta" wrote in message
    > Discussed on
    >
    > http://us4.samba.org/samba/docs/man/...sControls.html
    >

    > There seems to be quite lot of strange things what samba does (and not
    > just doing it and let OS do permission checks.)

  2. Re: Still can't network Linux and Windows - additional info

    Well, guys, I gave up trying to use Samba (SMB) to bring Linux shares
    into a Windows box. Just too many glitches, inconsistency and
    frustration. Samba does work well in the other direction, bringing
    Windows shares into Linux, so I am still using Samba for that.

    To bring Linux shares into Windows and then map network drives to those
    shares, I turned to NFS. I had a Windows Services for Unix (SFU) disc
    sitting around and this includes support for an NFS client for Win XP.
    I loaded that in, configured the NFS server in Linux, and the NFS
    network in XP picked them right up, with no surprises. Mapped them
    right into network drives in Windows Explorer and they worked like a
    champ. Now I feel like a complete idiot having wasted all that time
    with Samba when I could have this thing working weeks ago.

    This whole scenario is just like two years ago when I spent an
    inordinate amount of time and frustration trying to get a
    Windows software modem to work in Linux - just didn't happen. Junked
    the winmodem, put in a hardware modem (Lucent Venus), problem
    disappears, poof! just like that!! I guess some things are just not
    meant to be in Linux and, in my experience, two of them are successful
    networking with Samba and using winmodems.

  3. Re: Still can't network Linux and Windows - additional info

    Bruce Coryell wrote:
    > Well, guys, I gave up trying to use Samba (SMB) to bring Linux shares
    > into a Windows box. Just too many glitches, inconsistency and
    > frustration. Samba does work well in the other direction, bringing
    > Windows shares into Linux, so I am still using Samba for that.
    >
    > To bring Linux shares into Windows and then map network drives to those
    > shares, I turned to NFS. I had a Windows Services for Unix (SFU) disc
    > sitting around and this includes support for an NFS client for Win XP. I
    > loaded that in, configured the NFS server in Linux, and the NFS network
    > in XP picked them right up, with no surprises. Mapped them right into
    > network drives in Windows Explorer and they worked like a champ. Now I
    > feel like a complete idiot having wasted all that time with Samba when I
    > could have this thing working weeks ago.

    With NFS as an option, I don't know why you bothered with Samba. As I
    stated in my post two weeks ago in the previous thread you started on
    this subject, NFS gives better performance and is quite simple to set up.

  4. Re: Still can't network Linux and Windows - additional info

    Nicholas Andrade wrote:
    > Bruce Coryell wrote:
    >> Well, guys, I gave up trying to use Samba (SMB) to bring Linux shares
    >> into a Windows box. Just too many glitches, inconsistency and
    >> frustration. Samba does work well in the other direction, bringing
    >> Windows shares into Linux, so I am still using Samba for that.
    >>
    >> To bring Linux shares into Windows and then map network drives to
    >> those shares, I turned to NFS. I had a Windows Services for Unix
    >> (SFU) disc sitting around and this includes support for an NFS
    >> client for Win XP. I loaded that in, configured the NFS server in
    >> Linux, and the NFS network in XP picked them right up, with no
    >> surprises. Mapped them right into network drives in Windows
    >> Explorer and they worked like a champ. Now I feel like a complete
    >> idiot having wasted all that time with Samba when I could have this
    >> thing working weeks ago.
    >>

    > With NFS as an option, I don't know why you bothered with Samba. As I
    > stated in my post two weeks ago in the previous thread you started on
    > this subject, NFS gives better performance and is quite simple to set
    > up.

    NFS has issues: user authentication is pretty much a joke, at least for
    general machines on the network, and if clients die gracelessly they can
    confuse or even interfere with NFS access from other clients. Also,
    file-locking doesn't work very well and never has, and tunneling it through
    a firewall is an adventure in server and client configuration.

  5. Re: Still can't network Linux and Windows - additional info

    Nicholas Andrade wrote:
    > Bruce Coryell wrote:
    >
    >>Well, guys, I gave up trying to use Samba (SMB) to bring Linux shares
    >>into a Windows box. Just too many glitches, inconsistency and
    >>frustration. Samba does work well in the other direction, bringing
    >>Windows shares into Linux, so I am still using Samba for that.
    >>
    >>To bring Linux shares into Windows and then map network drives to those
    >>shares, I turned to NFS. I had a Windows Services for Unix (SFU) disc
    >>sitting around and this includes support for an NFS client for Win XP. I
    >>loaded that in, configured the NFS server in Linux, and the NFS network
    >>in XP picked them right up, with no surprises. Mapped them right into
    >>network drives in Windows Explorer and they worked like a champ. Now I
    >>feel like a complete idiot having wasted all that time with Samba when I
    >>could have this thing working weeks ago.
    >>

    > With NFS as an option, I don't know why you bothered with Samba. As I
    > stated in my post two weeks ago in the previous thread you started on
    > this subject, NFS gives better performance and is quite simple to set up.

    Don't have NFS server software for Windows, only client. Need server
    version of Windows to install the server. Anyway, this setup works.

  6. Re: Still can't network Linux and Windows - additional info

    Bruce Coryell wrote:

    > Don't have NFS server software for Windows, only client. Need server
    > version of Windows to install the server. Anyway, this setup works.

    I'm not sure which version of SFU you're using, but 3.5 (which is free
    as in beer) includes a server. Also Cygwin offers a free NFS server [1]
    but no client.

    [1] http://www.csparks.com/CygwinNFS/index.xml

  7. Re: Still can't network Linux and Windows - additional info

    Nicholas Andrade wrote:
    > Bruce Coryell wrote:
    >

    >> Don't have NFS server software for Windows, only client. Need server
    >> version of Windows to install the server. Anyway, this setup works.

    > I'm not sure which version of SFU you're using, but 3.5 (which is free
    > as in beer) includes a server. Also Cygwin offers a free NFS server [1]
    > but no client.
    >
    > [1] http://www.csparks.com/CygwinNFS/index.xml

    Yes, the SFU disk is 3.5 and does have the NFS server. But my Win XP
    Pro is not a server version of Windows, so I only have an option to
    install the client. Samba is well behaved in the Windows to Linux
    direction, it was only going the other way that I could not get it to
    work.

  8. Re: Still can't network Linux and Windows - additional info

    Bruce Coryell wrote:
    > Nicholas Andrade wrote:
    >
    >> Bruce Coryell wrote:
    >>

    >>> Don't have NFS server software for Windows, only client. Need server
    >>> version of Windows to install the server. Anyway, this setup works.

    >> I'm not sure which version of SFU you're using, but 3.5 (which is free
    >> as in beer) includes a server. Also Cygwin offers a free NFS server
    >> [1] but no client.
    >>
    >> [1] http://www.csparks.com/CygwinNFS/index.xml

    > Yes, the SFU disk is 3.5 and does have the NFS server. But my Win XP
    > Pro is not a server version of Windows, so I only have an option to
    > install the client. Samba is well behaved in the Windows to Linux
    > direction, it was only going the other way that I could not get it to work.

    That's odd, I have Windows XP Pro (definitely not 2000 or 2003 Server)
    and NFS server installed fine (though I ended up going with Cygwin as I
    found it simpler to configure).

  9. Re: Still can't network Linux and Windows - additional info

    Nicholas Andrade wrote:
    > Bruce Coryell wrote:
    >
    >>Nicholas Andrade wrote:

    >>>I'm not sure which version of SFU you're using, but 3.5 (which is free
    >>>as in beer) includes a server. Also Cygwin offers a free NFS server
    >>>[1] but no client.
    >>>
    >>>[1] http://www.csparks.com/CygwinNFS/index.xml

    >>Yes, the SFU disk is 3.5 and does have the NFS server. But my Win XP
    >>Pro is not a server version of Windows, so I only have an option to
    >>install the client. Samba is well behaved in the Windows to Linux
    >>direction, it was only going the other way that I could not get it to work.

    > That's odd, I have Windows XP Pro (definitely not 2000 or 2003 Server)
    > and NFS server installed fine (though I ended up going with Cygwin as I
    > found it simpler to configure).

    The install option for NFS server was grayed out when I put the disk in
    my XP Pro box, plus somewhere I saw that a server version of Windows was
    required to install any of the server options on the disk. Thus NFS
    client and a couple other options were the only options I had available.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2