recursively removing directories in smbclient - SMB

This is a discussion on recursively removing directories in smbclient - SMB ; Hello all, I've seen hints of others having this problem but seen no solution. What im trying to do: Script that connects to a given computer with smbclient, then deletes everything listed in its temporary internet files, which would usually ...

  1. recursively removing directories in smbclient

    Hello all, I've seen hints of others having this problem but seen no
    solution.

    What im trying to do: Script that connects to a given computer with
    smbclient, then deletes everything listed in its temporary internet
    files, which would usually be c:\documents and settings\bob\local
    settings\temp\temporary internet files\* for example. Usually under
    this, there is a directory called Content.IE5, with several directories
    under it. I really just want to blast the directories underneath,
    however, I cannot seem to get it to work. I've tried rm, rm -r, rm -
    rf, all to no avail. Usually I get errors as though the files don't
    even exist, even though I can see them from ls.

    Is there a simple solution to this? Thanks a million.

    HipsterDo0fus
    Oklahoma City, OK

  2. Re: recursively removing directories in smbclient

    "hipsterdoofus" wrote in message
    news:1147808705.083904.322840@v46g2000cwv.googlegr oups.com...
    > Hello all, I've seen hints of others having this problem but seen no
    > solution.
    >
    > What im trying to do: Script that connects to a given computer with
    > smbclient, then deletes everything listed in its temporary internet
    > files, which would usually be c:\documents and settings\bob\local
    > settings\temp\temporary internet files\* for example. Usually under
    > this, there is a directory called Content.IE5, with several directories
    > under it. I really just want to blast the directories underneath,
    > however, I cannot seem to get it to work. I've tried rm, rm -r, rm -
    > rf, all to no avail. Usually I get errors as though the files don't
    > even exist, even though I can see them from ls.
    >
    > Is there a simple solution to this? Thanks a million.

    Yes, in IE on the client computer, select Options from the Tools menu and
    use the Setting button to set the "Amount of disk space to use:" to zero or
    a very small number. This will have little effect on the user if you have a
    fast Internet connection or are just using IE on an Intranet.

    The files you are trying to delete are system files and IMHO I think you
    should use the correct tool to do it or you may cause grief for the client.

+ Reply to Thread