Disabling file and printer sharing server only in Windows 98 - SMB

This is a discussion on Disabling file and printer sharing server only in Windows 98 - SMB ; I appologise if posting in the wrong newsgroup, just didn't know which other would fit better the question. As the title says, I would like to disable the file and printer sharing server ONLY, in Windows 98. When disabling the ...

  1. Disabling file and printer sharing server only in Windows 98

    I appologise if posting in the wrong newsgroup, just didn't know which
    other would fit better the question.

    As the title says, I would like to disable the file and printer sharing
    server ONLY, in Windows 98. When disabling the "File and Printer
    Sharing" binding with TCP/IP, it seems to disable the client and the
    server - I can't access shares on other computers, and they can't
    access shares on mine.

    The reason for this is that I have a computer connected to 2 networks.
    I would like the pc to be able to read shares on one network, and I
    would like the second network only to see shares on the computer
    itself. So I would like a way to have the SMB server and client running
    on one network card, and the client only on the other.

    Any ideas are appreciated. Alternatively, is there a Samba client for
    Windows 98? I'm sure that would do the trick.

    Many thanks

  2. Re: Disabling file and printer sharing server only in Windows 98

    s.arcus@fsmail.net wrote:
    > I appologise if posting in the wrong newsgroup, just didn't know which
    > other would fit better the question.
    >
    > As the title says, I would like to disable the file and printer
    > sharing server ONLY, in Windows 98. When disabling the "File and
    > Printer Sharing" binding with TCP/IP, it seems to disable the client
    > and the server - I can't access shares on other computers, and they
    > can't access shares on mine.

    Yup!

    > The reason for this is that I have a computer connected to 2 networks.
    > I would like the pc to be able to read shares on one network, and I
    > would like the second network only to see shares on the computer
    > itself. So I would like a way to have the SMB server and client
    > running on one network card, and the client only on the other.

    In Win98? Sheesh, not asking for much, are you? I'm not sure that's possible
    in that OS. I know it's feasible easily in a Samba server setup, by
    restricting what IP addresses can access services. Why not switch to a Linux
    box with Samba?

    Alternatively, consider a firewall software that will block the appropriate
    ports for the second network.

    > Any ideas are appreciated. Alternatively, is there a Samba client for
    > Windows 98? I'm sure that would do the trick.

    Gack! That's an excessively bad idea, for various reasons.

  3. Re: Disabling file and printer sharing server only in Windows 98

    wrote in message
    news:1147424921.569887.213540@v46g2000cwv.googlegr oups.com...
    >I appologise if posting in the wrong newsgroup, just didn't know which
    > other would fit better the question.
    >
    > As the title says, I would like to disable the file and printer sharing
    > server ONLY, in Windows 98. When disabling the "File and Printer
    > Sharing" binding with TCP/IP, it seems to disable the client and the
    > server - I can't access shares on other computers, and they can't
    > access shares on mine.

    Right click on the Network Neighborhood and select Properties from the list.
    If "File and Printer sharing ..." is listed in the network components then
    remove it. Reboot and you're good to go. Win95/98 was meant to be a client
    for Windows networks.

    > The reason for this is that I have a computer connected to 2 networks.
    > I would like the pc to be able to read shares on one network, and I
    > would like the second network only to see shares on the computer
    > itself. So I would like a way to have the SMB server and client running
    > on one network card, and the client only on the other.
    >
    > Any ideas are appreciated. Alternatively, is there a Samba client for
    > Windows 98? I'm sure that would do the trick.
    >
    > Many thanks

+ Reply to Thread