To answer my own question... I had written:

> The smbd man page says we can use smbcontrol to change the debug level
> of running Samba daemons. We're trying to do this to help debug
> transient problems, but it isn't working; the debug level never changes.

The fix is simple: don't specify a debug level on the command line when
you start smbd. We were starting Samba via "smbd -D -d 1" to get debug
level 1. To get smbcontrol to work, I removed the -d option from our
startup script, put "log level = 1" in smb.conf, and did a stop/start.
Now I can set debugging on the fly with smbcontrol as expected.

--

Kai Lanz lanz@pangea.stanford.edu School of Earth Sciences 650 723-3400