Global as a share name - SMB

This is a discussion on Global as a share name - SMB ; I've seen one other post on this with no response. I have a requirement to have a Samba share named "Global" I've tried Global, GLOBAL, (not global obviously) but it seems to conflict with the "global" section in smb.conf (i.e. ...

  1. Global as a share name

    I've seen one other post on this with no response. I have a requirement
    to have a Samba share named "Global"

    I've tried Global, GLOBAL, (not global obviously) but it seems to
    conflict with the "global" section in smb.conf (i.e. all shares stop
    working) I would of thought that on *nix you could get away with a
    different case.....?

    Is this a case-insensitive protected word?

    I'm running Solaris 10 Samba V3.0.4

    Thx!

  2. Re: Global as a share name

    I think the SMB protocol converts everything to upper case. If you look at a
    WINS database it's all upper case. *nix treats different case as unique but
    Windows doesn't yet. GLOBAL, GlObal, Global are all the same to Windows. I
    think even XP creates short (8.3) uppercase files names in addition to the
    long ones you can use.

    On the other hand if you use *nix long enough, the file names tend to become
    criptic short lowercase (eg: bin, ls, awk, etc.)

    wrote in message
    news:1146761176.368327.239540@i39g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    > I've seen one other post on this with no response. I have a requirement
    > to have a Samba share named "Global"
    >
    > I've tried Global, GLOBAL, (not global obviously) but it seems to
    > conflict with the "global" section in smb.conf (i.e. all shares stop
    > working) I would of thought that on *nix you could get away with a
    > different case.....?
    >

    > Is this a case-insensitive protected word?
    >

    > I'm running Solaris 10 Samba V3.0.4
    >
    > Thx!

+ Reply to Thread