I have Samba 2.2.7a on a Linux machine and want to mount shares from a
Windows XP machine (service pack 2) on the same network and workgroup. I
am not using ADS or anything like that.

What I've tried is to mount the share as follows:

mount -t smbfs -o username=administrator,password=%adminpasswd%
//winxp_pc/folder /mnt/folder

The mount occurs fine. But what happens is that if I try to list
anything in the folder that is not accessible by everyone (or guest?)
then it gives me a "permission denied" error.

I know I have the administrator account set up properly on Windows XP
with the right password. I also did a lot of google searching on this
and found a couple of policies to disable:

Microsoft Network Server: Digitally sign communication (always)
Microsoft Network Server: Digitally sign communication (if client agrees)

These were already disabled, and my problem still exists.

Anyone have any ideas how to make this work?

Thanks.