Can't change debug level with smbcontrol - SMB

This is a discussion on Can't change debug level with smbcontrol - SMB ; We're running Samba v3.0.14a, on Alpha/Tru64 v4.0G. The smbd man page says we can use smbcontrol to change the debug level of running Samba daemons. We're trying to do this to help debug transient problems, but it isn't working; the ...

  1. Can't change debug level with smbcontrol

    We're running Samba v3.0.14a, on Alpha/Tru64 v4.0G.

    The smbd man page says we can use smbcontrol to change the debug level
    of running Samba daemons. We're trying to do this to help debug
    transient problems, but it isn't working; the debug level never changes.

    As root, I run:
    # /local/samba/bin/smbcontrol 3023 debug 3

    PID 3023 is our master smbd process; we normally run it at debuglevel 1.
    Checking with smbcontrol, we see the level is still 1:

    # /local/samba/bin/smbcontrol 3023 debuglevel
    PID 3023: all:1 tdb:1 printdrivers:1 lanman:1 smb:1 rpc_parse:1 rpc_srv:1
    rpc_cli:1 passdb:1 sam:1 auth:1 winbind:1 vfs:1 idmap:1 quota:1 acls:1

    The log.smbd does not record an INFO line showing receipt of a MSG_DEBUG
    message, and the log file is clearly still running at level 1.

    Using the destination smbd doesn't help. So, what's the trick to updating
    debuglevel on the fly?
    --

    Kai Lanz lanz@pangea.stanford.edu School of Earth Sciences 650 723-3400

  2. Re: Can't change debug level with smbcontrol

    "Kai Lanz" wrote in message

    > We're running Samba v3.0.14a, on Alpha/Tru64 v4.0G.
    >
    > The smbd man page says we can use smbcontrol to change the debug level
    > of running Samba daemons. We're trying to do this to help debug
    > transient problems, but it isn't working; the debug level never changes.
    >
    > As root, I run:
    > # /local/samba/bin/smbcontrol 3023 debug 3
    >
    > PID 3023 is our master smbd process; we normally run it at debuglevel 1.
    > Checking with smbcontrol, we see the level is still 1:
    >
    > # /local/samba/bin/smbcontrol 3023 debuglevel
    > PID 3023: all:1 tdb:1 printdrivers:1 lanman:1 smb:1 rpc_parse:1 rpc_srv:1
    > rpc_cli:1 passdb:1 sam:1 auth:1 winbind:1 vfs:1 idmap:1 quota:1 acls:1
    >
    > The log.smbd does not record an INFO line showing receipt of a MSG_DEBUG
    > message, and the log file is clearly still running at level 1.
    >
    > Using the destination smbd doesn't help. So, what's the trick to updating
    > debuglevel on the fly?
    > --
    >
    > Kai Lanz lanz@pangea.stanford.edu School of Earth Sciences 650
    > 723-3400

    I tried exactly the same sequence of command on an HPUX 11.11 running
    A.02.02.01 (or HP's Samba 3.0.14a port) and it worked for me. This must be
    something specific to Alpha/Tru 64. Where did you get your bits? Did you
    compile Samba yourself?

+ Reply to Thread