Monitor or selectivley block SMB access? - SMB

This is a discussion on Monitor or selectivley block SMB access? - SMB ; Hello, I am desperately looking for a small, free tool I hope you are the experts. I want a small, tiny, free tool, that shows if somebody wants to access my computer via SMB. I can generally trust or distrust ...

  1. Monitor or selectivley block SMB access?

    Hello,

    I am desperately looking for a small, free tool

    I hope you are the experts.

    I want a small, tiny, free tool, that shows if somebody wants to access
    my computer via SMB.

    I can generally trust or distrust and decide individually.

    Sounds simple?

    I do NOT want to manage share permissions and users.

    I don't want a huge, fat, complicated Firewall.

    Can you help? Is there something for win32, macos, linux?

    best regards

    pierre

  2. Re: Monitor or selectivley block SMB access?

    Pierre Kerchner wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I am desperately looking for a small, free tool
    >
    > I hope you are the experts.
    >
    > I want a small, tiny, free tool, that shows if somebody wants to access
    > my computer via SMB.
    >
    > I can generally trust or distrust and decide individually.
    >
    > Sounds simple?
    >
    > I do NOT want to manage share permissions and users.
    >
    > I don't want a huge, fat, complicated Firewall.

    So you want to control access to SMB shares via software, but you don't want
    to manage any software to do it?

    > Can you help? Is there something for win32, macos, linux?

    samba and iptables on linux will do what you want, but that'd be software
    you'd have to manage and you don't want that.

    HTH,
    Tim

    --
    Fedora Core release 4 (Stentz), Linux 2.6.16-tim
    KDE: 3.5.2-1.4, xorg-x11-6.8.2-37.FC4.49.2

  3. Re: Monitor or selectivley block SMB access?

    Sorry, I was talking about a simple, easy solution for average users.

    Static rules are bad.

    Username/passwords are bad.

    People tend to forget them. And I need to communicate them beforehand.

    I want a simple, small tray popup, when somebody tries to access my
    shares.

    Computer xy tries to access your printer/share/....

    Allow [yes/no]
    [ ] remember my action

    Easy & interactive & self explaining GUI

    I guess I am in the wrong group. Sorry about that.

    pierre

  4. Re: Monitor or selectivley block SMB access?

    Pierre Kerchner wrote:

    > Sorry, I was talking about a simple, easy solution for average users.
    >
    > Static rules are bad.
    >
    > Username/passwords are bad.
    >
    > People tend to forget them. And I need to communicate them beforehand.

    By which you control who has access. There's no need for the end user to
    remember their password once they gain access, Windows, for the most part,
    will remember it.

    > I want a simple, small tray popup, when somebody tries to access my
    > shares.
    >
    > Computer xy tries to access your printer/share/....
    >
    > Allow [yes/no]
    > [ ] remember my action
    >
    > Easy & interactive & self explaining GUI

    I think you're trying to provide security without actually providing
    security. How will you know who's trying to access your shares? Eventually
    you may grow tired of trying to determine that and just grant access to
    whoever asks. Using usernames and passwords, you can disable access simply
    by changing the user's password, or deleting the user, using SWAT.

    > I guess I am in the wrong group. Sorry about that.

    Don't judge the group by the response of one participant. I personally
    wouldn't want what you're asking for, but that doesn't mean someone else
    reading this newsgroup can't help you.

    Regards,
    Tim

    --
    Fedora Core release 4 (Stentz), Linux 2.6.16-tim
    KDE: 3.5.2-1.4, xorg-x11-6.8.2-37.FC4.49.2
    10:00:01 up 9 days, 32 min, 2 users, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.02
    MP3/OGG archive Total playlength : 7 days, 21 hours, 42 mins 58 seconds
    "It's what you learn after you know it all that counts" John Wooden

+ Reply to Thread