win95 connect Samba problem - SMB

This is a discussion on win95 connect Samba problem - SMB ; Hi, I have tried to solve this problem about 2 weeks and search around on the Internet, but still can't solve this problem. Now, i have a Linux Samba in RedHat 9.2. I have a group of PC workstation including ...

  1. win95 connect Samba problem

    Hi,
    I have tried to solve this problem about 2 weeks and search around on
    the Internet, but still can't solve this problem.
    Now, i have a Linux Samba in RedHat 9.2. I have a group of PC
    workstation including Win 95,98,2000,XP and Linux. There is no problem
    for Win 98,2000,XP and Linux to connect the Samba server except Win95.
    I find that about 1/3 of Win 95 workstation can connect to the Samba
    server, and 2/3 of Win 95 can't. But the specification of the Win 95 PC
    are the same.
    I tried to find the solution by reinstall the NIC driver, use the 'net
    use' command to connect the server, reset the samba, but the problem
    still here.
    How could i solve this problem, have any suggestion that i can do??
    Here is my smb.conf.

    workgroup = mygroup
    server string = Samba Server

    # Windows Internet Name Serving Support Section:
    # WINS Support - Tells the NMBD component of Samba to enable it's WINS
    Server
    wins support = yes

    # WINS Server - Tells the NMBD components of Samba to be a WINS Client
    # Note: Samba can be either a WINS Server, or a WINS Client, but NOT
    both
    ; wins server = w.x.y.z

    # WINS Proxy - Tells Samba to answer name resolution queries on
    # behalf of a non WINS capable client, for this to work there must be
    # at least one WINS Server on the network. The default is NO.
    ; wins proxy = yes

    # DNS Proxy - tells Samba whether or not to try to resolve NetBIOS
    names
    # via DNS nslookups. The built-in default for versions 1.9.17 is yes,
    # this has been changed in version 1.9.18 to no.
    dns proxy = no

    # Case Preservation can be handy - system default is _no_
    # NOTE: These can be set on a per share basis
    ; preserve case = no
    ; short preserve case = no
    # Default case is normally upper case for all DOS files
    ; default case = lower
    # Be very careful with case sensitivity - it can break things!
    ; case sensitive = no

    template shell = /bin/false
    winbind use default domain = no
    security = share
    guest ok = yes
    guest account = upload
    [homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    browseable = no
    writeable = yes

    [TEST]
    path = /datafiles/TEST
    writeable = yes
    browseable = yes
    guest ok = yes

    [ABC]
    path = /datafiles/ABC
    writeable = yes
    browseable = yes
    guest ok = yes

    Thanks for your help.

  2. Re: win95 connect Samba problem

    joecch1981@gmail.com wrote:
    > I find that about 1/3 of Win 95 workstation can connect to the Samba
    > server, and 2/3 of Win 95 can't. But the specification of the Win 95 PC
    > are the same.

    Try raising the log level in the smb.conf file,
    try to connect from a win95 machine that works,
    and from one that doesn't work. Then compare the
    logfiles for the two machines.

    Mogens
    --
    Mogens Kjær, Dataarkæolog
    Email: mk@datamuseum.dk

  3. Re: win95 connect Samba problem

    You use 'security = share', something I rather hate but whatever . . .
    The rules for that are:
    1. If the service is 'guest only', come in as that guest
    2. If the client supplied userid/passwd and they work, connect using
    them
    3. If a user is already registered from this client, and the
    password is now ok, use it
    4. Try with the name of the client, if the password matches then ok
    5. If a previous validation worked, take that
    6. If there is a 'user' parameter for the service, try the password
    with each userid in the list
    7. If the service is 'public' or 'guest ok', use that userid

    Setting 'security = user' (the default) means that the user comes in as
    whatever his Win95/. . . signon is, and has to use the correct password
    for that account.
    1 - this obviously means the smbpasswd password
    2 - 'username map' can modify this.

    When you follow Mogens' advice (setting 'debug level = 2' is a good
    value here), you should be able to see Samba making it's various
    attempts to authenticate and work out what is wrong.

+ Reply to Thread