Browsing: IP subnet <=> workgroups - SMB

This is a discussion on Browsing: IP subnet <=> workgroups - SMB ; Hi, I have 3 samba servers working with no problems at all ... but I'm kind of annoyed with the way the master browser is chosen .. Each server is supposed to service a specific IP subdomain which is no ...

  1. Browsing: IP subnet <=> workgroups

    Hi,

    I have 3 samba servers working with no problems at all ... but I'm
    kind of annoyed with the way the master browser is chosen ..

    Each server is supposed to service a specific IP subdomain which is no
    problem as 2 of them contain only one workgroup("domain"?) so that's
    ok.

    The third one is servicing 10 different workgroups all within one IP
    subnet. Is there a trick to force the samba server to become the
    master browser for all these workgroups ? or do I need to live with
    the split situation where each workgroup keeps on electing a LMB
    depending on which machine is switched on ?
    It would be nice if the samba server did it all !
    TIA for any input .. (google=nothing found)

  2. Re: Browsing: IP subnet <=> workgroups

    imbsysop wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have 3 samba servers working with no problems at all ... but I'm
    > kind of annoyed with the way the master browser is chosen ..
    >
    > Each server is supposed to service a specific IP subdomain which is no
    > problem as 2 of them contain only one workgroup("domain"?) so that's
    > ok.
    >
    > The third one is servicing 10 different workgroups all within one IP
    > subnet. Is there a trick to force the samba server to become the
    > master browser for all these workgroups ? or do I need to live with
    > the split situation where each workgroup keeps on electing a LMB
    > depending on which machine is switched on ?
    > It would be nice if the samba server did it all !
    > TIA for any input .. (google=nothing found)

    Look at the 'os level' and 'preferred master' parameters. Setting the
    first to around 40 and the second to 'yes' should do something.
    You have 10 different workgroups in one subnet? That seems weird to me
    but I don't have much to do with this area any more.

  3. Re: Browsing: IP subnet <=> workgroups

    "Vlad_Inhaler" wrote in message
    news:1143486411.910704.33190@z34g2000cwc.googlegro ups.com...

    > imbsysop wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I have 3 samba servers working with no problems at all ... but I'm
    >> kind of annoyed with the way the master browser is chosen ..
    >>
    >> Each server is supposed to service a specific IP subdomain which is no
    >> problem as 2 of them contain only one workgroup("domain"?) so that's
    >> ok.
    >>
    >> The third one is servicing 10 different workgroups all within one IP
    >> subnet. Is there a trick to force the samba server to become the
    >> master browser for all these workgroups ? or do I need to live with
    >> the split situation where each workgroup keeps on electing a LMB
    >> depending on which machine is switched on ?
    >> It would be nice if the samba server did it all !
    >> TIA for any input .. (google=nothing found)

    > Look at the 'os level' and 'preferred master' parameters. Setting the
    > first to around 40 and the second to 'yes' should do something.

    Thnx but I already bumped it up to 250 .. it doesn't do anything different

    > You have 10 different workgroups in one subnet? That seems weird to me
    > but I don't have much to do with this area any more.

    One cannot run a multidisciplinary research institute one only one workgroup
    ... alas .. :-)

  4. Re: Browsing: IP subnet <=> workgroups

    imbsysop wrote:

    > "Vlad_Inhaler" wrote in message
    > news:1143486411.910704.33190@z34g2000cwc.googlegro ups.com...
    > >
    > > imbsysop wrote:
    > >> Hi,
    > >>
    > >> I have 3 samba servers working with no problems at all ... but I'm
    > >> kind of annoyed with the way the master browser is chosen ..
    > >>
    > >> Each server is supposed to service a specific IP subdomain which is no
    > >> problem as 2 of them contain only one workgroup("domain"?) so that's
    > >> ok.
    > >>
    > >> The third one is servicing 10 different workgroups all within one IP
    > >> subnet. Is there a trick to force the samba server to become the
    > >> master browser for all these workgroups ? or do I need to live with
    > >> the split situation where each workgroup keeps on electing a LMB
    > >> depending on which machine is switched on ?
    > >> It would be nice if the samba server did it all !
    > >> TIA for any input .. (google=nothing found)

    > > Look at the 'os level' and 'preferred master' parameters. Setting the
    > > first to around 40 and the second to 'yes' should do something.

    > Thnx but I already bumped it up to 250 .. it doesn't do anything different
    > ..
    >
    > > You have 10 different workgroups in one subnet? That seems weird to me
    > > but I don't have much to do with this area any more.

    > One cannot run a multidisciplinary research institute one only one workgroup
    > .. alas .. :-)

    Try setting:

    wins support = yes

    on the main server (domain controller), and

    wins support = no
    wins server = ip-address of the domain controller

    on the other two.

  5. Re: Browsing: IP subnet <=> workgroups

    "Daniel Boland" wrote in message
    > imbsysop wrote:
    >>
    >> "Vlad_Inhaler" wrote in message
    >> news:1143486411.910704.33190@z34g2000cwc.googlegro ups.com...

    >> > Look at the 'os level' and 'preferred master' parameters. Setting the
    >> > first to around 40 and the second to 'yes' should do something.

    >> Thnx but I already bumped it up to 250 .. it doesn't do anything
    >> different
    >> ..
    >>
    >> > You have 10 different workgroups in one subnet? That seems weird to me
    >> > but I don't have much to do with this area any more.

    >> One cannot run a multidisciplinary research institute one only one
    >> workgroup
    >> .. alas .. :-)

    > Try setting:
    >
    > wins support = yes
    >
    > on the main server (domain controller), and
    >
    > wins support = no
    > wins server = ip-address of the domain controller
    >
    > on the other two.

    thnx but I have maybe a problem there ..
    Will a samba server play the master browser across IP subnets ?
    Can I have 2 wins servers each one in an IP subnet ?
    I'm asking because there is already a wins server in one of the IP subnets

    I'm going to try to swap wins servers and see what the effect is

  6. Re: Browsing: IP subnet <=> workgroups

    imbsysop wrote:

    > "Daniel Boland" wrote in message
    > > imbsysop wrote:
    > >>
    > >> "Vlad_Inhaler" wrote in message
    > >> news:1143486411.910704.33190@z34g2000cwc.googlegro ups.com...

    > >> Thnx but I already bumped it up to 250 .. it doesn't do anything
    > >> different
    > >> ..

    > >> One cannot run a multidisciplinary research institute one only one
    > >> workgroup
    > >> .. alas .. :-)

    > > Try setting:
    > >
    > > wins support = yes
    > >
    > > on the main server (domain controller), and
    > >
    > > wins support = no
    > > wins server = ip-address of the domain controller
    > >
    > > on the other two.

    > thnx but I have maybe a problem there ..
    > Will a samba server play the master browser across IP subnets ?
    > Can I have 2 wins servers each one in an IP subnet ?
    > I'm asking because there is already a wins server in one of the IP subnets
    >
    > I'm going to try to swap wins servers and see what the effect is

    Sorry, I didn't realize that. Are your servers listening on
    multiple network interfaces? What is your IP scheme?

  7. Re: Browsing: IP subnet <=> workgroups

    On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 09:41:51 +0200, Daniel Boland
    wrote:

    >imbsysop wrote:
    >>
    >> "Daniel Boland" wrote in message

    >> > Try setting:
    >> >
    >> > wins support = yes
    >> >
    >> > on the main server (domain controller), and
    >> >
    >> > wins support = no
    >> > wins server = ip-address of the domain controller
    >> >
    >> > on the other two.

    >> thnx but I have maybe a problem there ..
    >> Will a samba server play the master browser across IP subnets ?
    >> Can I have 2 wins servers each one in an IP subnet ?
    >> I'm asking because there is already a wins server in one of the IP subnets
    >>
    >> I'm going to try to swap wins servers and see what the effect is

    >Sorry, I didn't realize that. Are your servers listening on
    >multiple network interfaces? What is your IP scheme?

    3 IP subnets A.B.X.0, ...Y.O & ...Z.0

    ....Y.0 and ...Z.0 each run one subnet with one workgroup ...X.0 runs
    the multiple workgroups, and has a slave linux printserver.
    The ...Z.0 is on the same network segment but running on its own but
    interlinks for data exchange with the others. It is probably running
    as a wins server too.

    As the ...Y.0 server was the first installed for user authentication
    (students node) it was configured with 2 nic's to serve the (very
    limoted) ...X.0 net as well and it run wins .. Now we need a specific
    ....X.0 controller (should it be a PDC?)
    I configured the new ...X.0 server to link to the existing ...Y.0 wins
    server but it is only master browser for the workgroup it belongs to
    It is not coming up as a master browser for the other workgroups
    within the ...X.0 IP subnet ..
    ... and hence my Q
    can it be configured to be a master browser for all the workgroups
    within the ...X.0 IP subnet ..
    (we are talking about full routable IP adresses not internal
    non-reroutable ones)
    TIA for any advice !

  8. Re: Browsing: IP subnet <=> workgroups

    imbsysop wrote:

    > On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 09:41:51 +0200, Daniel Boland
    > wrote:
    >
    > >imbsysop wrote:
    > >>
    > >> "Daniel Boland" wrote in message

    > >> thnx but I have maybe a problem there ..
    > >> Will a samba server play the master browser across IP subnets ?
    > >> Can I have 2 wins servers each one in an IP subnet ?
    > >> I'm asking because there is already a wins server in one of the IP subnets
    > >>
    > >> I'm going to try to swap wins servers and see what the effect is

    > >Sorry, I didn't realize that. Are your servers listening on
    > >multiple network interfaces? What is your IP scheme?

    > 3 IP subnets A.B.X.0, ...Y.O & ...Z.0
    >
    > ...Y.0 and ...Z.0 each run one subnet with one workgroup ...X.0 runs
    > the multiple workgroups, and has a slave linux printserver.
    > The ...Z.0 is on the same network segment but running on its own but
    > interlinks for data exchange with the others. It is probably running
    > as a wins server too.
    >
    > As the ...Y.0 server was the first installed for user authentication
    > (students node) it was configured with 2 nic's to serve the (very
    > limoted) ...X.0 net as well and it run wins .. Now we need a specific
    > ...X.0 controller (should it be a PDC?)
    > I configured the new ...X.0 server to link to the existing ...Y.0 wins
    > server but it is only master browser for the workgroup it belongs to
    > ..
    > It is not coming up as a master browser for the other workgroups
    > within the ...X.0 IP subnet ..
    > .. and hence my Q
    > can it be configured to be a master browser for all the workgroups
    > within the ...X.0 IP subnet ..
    > (we are talking about full routable IP adresses not internal
    > non-reroutable ones)
    > TIA for any advice !

    The problem is that you can't have multiple workgroups on one
    computer. Each computer that logs on to the network, "starts"
    its own workgroup (one of those 10).
    Without at least one computer which is "up" and actually *in*
    one of those workgroups, a user will never be able to write
    files belonging to that workgroup.

    What you want is that your ...X.0 server displays all of the ten
    workgroups in its list, even if all of the computers which
    actually *are* in the workgroups are down. Right?

  9. Re: Browsing: IP subnet <=> workgroups

    On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 08:32:32 +0200, Daniel Boland
    wrote:

    >imbsysop wrote:
    >>
    >> On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 09:41:51 +0200, Daniel Boland
    >> wrote:

    snip
    >> It is not coming up as a master browser for the other workgroups
    >> within the ...X.0 IP subnet ..
    >> .. and hence my Q
    >> can it be configured to be a master browser for all the workgroups
    >> within the ...X.0 IP subnet ..
    >> (we are talking about full routable IP adresses not internal
    >> non-reroutable ones)
    >> TIA for any advice !

    >The problem is that you can't have multiple workgroups on one
    >computer. Each computer that logs on to the network, "starts"
    >its own workgroup (one of those 10).

    There is no problem at the level of the workgroups, :-) they been
    happily working together sinds the days of "WfW" (Windows for
    workgroups)

    >Without at least one computer which is "up" and actually *in*
    >one of those workgroups, a user will never be able to write
    >files belonging to that workgroup.

    You lost me here .. At the windows OS level anyone can exchange
    anything between any computer in any workgroup given correct shares
    and permissions even across IP subnets ..

    >What you want is that your ...X.0 server displays all of the ten
    >workgroups in its list, even if all of the computers which
    >actually *are* in the workgroups are down. Right?

    Not exactly as my ...X.0 samba server does display all workgroups and
    all master browser per workgroup. The Q was : Is it possible to have
    the ...X.0 server become the master browser for all the workgroups
    within its IP subnet ?

  10. Re: Browsing: IP subnet <=> workgroups

    imbsysop wrote:

    > On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 08:32:32 +0200, Daniel Boland
    > wrote:
    >
    > >imbsysop wrote:
    > >>
    > >> On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 09:41:51 +0200, Daniel Boland
    > >> wrote:
    > >>

    > snip
    > >> It is not coming up as a master browser for the other workgroups
    > >> within the ...X.0 IP subnet ..
    > >> .. and hence my Q
    > >> can it be configured to be a master browser for all the workgroups
    > >> within the ...X.0 IP subnet ..
    > >> (we are talking about full routable IP adresses not internal
    > >> non-reroutable ones)
    > >> TIA for any advice !

    > >The problem is that you can't have multiple workgroups on one
    > >computer. Each computer that logs on to the network, "starts"
    > >its own workgroup (one of those 10).

    > There is no problem at the level of the workgroups, :-) they been
    > happily working together sinds the days of "WfW" (Windows for
    > workgroups)
    >
    > >Without at least one computer which is "up" and actually *in*
    > >one of those workgroups, a user will never be able to write
    > >files belonging to that workgroup.

    > You lost me here .. At the windows OS level anyone can exchange
    > anything between any computer in any workgroup given correct shares
    > and permissions even across IP subnets ..
    >

    > >What you want is that your ...X.0 server displays all of the ten
    > >workgroups in its list, even if all of the computers which
    > >actually *are* in the workgroups are down. Right?

    > Not exactly as my ...X.0 samba server does display all workgroups and
    > all master browser per workgroup. The Q was : Is it possible to have
    > the ...X.0 server become the master browser for all the workgroups
    > within its IP subnet ?

    Then I have 2 questions:

    1. Suppose there is a group called "A", and none of the PC's
    which are in group A is up. How would I copy a file "belonging"
    to group A, while my computer is in group "B"?

    2. Why is it a problem that the samba server is not the master
    browser?

  11. Re: Browsing: IP subnet <=> workgroups

    Have you considered multiple personalities?
    Try http://home.arcor.de/36bit/samba.html#3.2.3 - it might help you
    (warning, I have not touched that webpage for years so not everything
    will still be true).

  12. Re: Browsing: IP subnet <=> workgroups

    > imbsysop wrote:

    snip

    >> Not exactly as my ...X.0 samba server does display all workgroups and
    >> all master browser per workgroup. The Q was : Is it possible to have
    >> the ...X.0 server become the master browser for all the workgroups
    >> within its IP subnet ?

    > Then I have 2 questions:
    >
    > 1. Suppose there is a group called "A", and none of the PC's
    > which are in group A is up. How would I copy a file "belonging"
    > to group A, while my computer is in group "B"?

    ?? .. How can one copy a file from a computer that is not switched on ? One
    can't .. on any computer I guess ?

    > 2. Why is it a problem that the samba server is not the master
    > browser?

    It would be easier to admin for starters and it would cut out the need for
    browser elections in each workgroup as the workgroup PC's are not on all the
    time while the samba server is on 24/7 .. not to count my Km's wanderings
    over 4 floors in a huge research building :-)

  13. Re: Browsing: IP subnet <=> workgroups

    "Vlad_Inhaler" wrote in message
    news:1144164502.268331.24240@t31g2000cwb.googlegro ups.com...
    > Have you considered multiple personalities?
    > Try http://home.arcor.de/36bit/samba.html#3.2.3 - it might help you
    > (warning, I have not touched that webpage for years so not everything
    > will still be true).

    That is not a bad idea .. maybe I should reconsider starting multiple
    deamons (nmbd) I did read a lot about these possibilities a long time ago ..
    thnx for that pointer seems to give me some ideas again :-)

  14. Re: Browsing: IP subnet <=> workgroups

    imbsysop writes:

    > Not exactly as my ...X.0 samba server does display all workgroups
    > and all master browser per workgroup. The Q was : Is it possible to
    > have the ...X.0 server become the master browser for all the
    > workgroups within its IP subnet ?

    Network Connections > Local Area Connection > Properties > Internet
    Protocol > Properties > WINS tab > Add..., and add the IP of the Samba
    server you want as the master.

    If you're using DHCP, you can probably specify this in your DHCP
    server configuration. For the default dhcpd that comes with most Linux
    / Unix systems (ISC's) you would use the "netbios-name-servers"
    option. You may also want to set the "netbios-node-type" option to a
    value of 8: this tells the WINS client to query the WINS server first,
    and if that fails, it does a broadcast lookup.

    If you ever want to know the master for a workgroup, you can use the
    nmblookup(1) Samba utility:

    $ nmblookup -M

    --
    David Magda

  15. Re: Browsing: IP subnet <=> workgroups

    "imbsysop" wrote in message

    > "Vlad_Inhaler" wrote in message
    > news:1144164502.268331.24240@t31g2000cwb.googlegro ups.com...
    >> Have you considered multiple personalities?
    >> Try http://home.arcor.de/36bit/samba.html#3.2.3 - it might help you
    >> (warning, I have not touched that webpage for years so not everything
    >> will still be true).
    >>

    > That is not a bad idea .. maybe I should reconsider starting multiple
    > deamons (nmbd) I did read a lot about these possibilities a long time ago
    > .. thnx for that pointer seems to give me some ideas again :-)

    You'll run into problems with XP client systems using the %L parameter - see
    here:

    http://www.digitalmapping.sk.ca/Netw...amba%20PDC.htm

  16. Re: Browsing: IP subnet <=> workgroups

    On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 21:52:29 -0400, David Magda
    wrote:

    >imbsysop writes:
    >
    >> Not exactly as my ...X.0 samba server does display all workgroups
    >> and all master browser per workgroup. The Q was : Is it possible to
    >> have the ...X.0 server become the master browser for all the
    >> workgroups within its IP subnet ?

    >Network Connections > Local Area Connection > Properties > Internet
    >Protocol > Properties > WINS tab > Add..., and add the IP of the Samba
    >server you want as the master.

    OK thnx I'll try that .. but are you suggesting that wins
    functionality and Master browser elections are overlapping processes ?

    >If you're using DHCP, you can probably specify this in your DHCP
    >server configuration. For the default dhcpd that comes with most Linux
    >/ Unix systems (ISC's) you would use the "netbios-name-servers"
    >option. You may also want to set the "netbios-node-type" option to a
    >value of 8: this tells the WINS client to query the WINS server first,
    >and if that fails, it does a broadcast lookup.

    I know but we don't do local DHCP as unfortunately I'm only one a tiny
    IP subnet (well 3 of them) that is part of a net with 2x255x255+255 IP
    numbers :-)

    >If you ever want to know the master for a workgroup, you can use the
    >nmblookup(1) Samba utility:
    >
    > $ nmblookup -M

    thnx but that is how I monitor the status of the net :-)

  17. Re: Browsing: IP subnet <=> workgroups

    On Thu, 6 Apr 2006 17:18:18 -0600, "mmarien"
    wrote:

    >"imbsysop" wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Vlad_Inhaler" wrote in message
    >> news:1144164502.268331.24240@t31g2000cwb.googlegro ups.com...
    >>> Have you considered multiple personalities?
    >>> Try http://home.arcor.de/36bit/samba.html#3.2.3 - it might help you
    >>> (warning, I have not touched that webpage for years so not everything
    >>> will still be true).
    >>>

    >> That is not a bad idea .. maybe I should reconsider starting multiple
    >> deamons (nmbd) I did read a lot about these possibilities a long time ago
    >> .. thnx for that pointer seems to give me some ideas again :-)
    >>

    >You'll run into problems with XP client systems using the %L parameter - see
    >here:
    >
    >http://www.digitalmapping.sk.ca/Netw...amba%20PDC.htm

    thnx for pointing that out (although I have read this before :-)) PS
    shouldn't that read "port 445" instead of "443" for smb over TCP/IP ?
    :-)

  18. Re: Browsing: IP subnet <=> workgroups

    imbsysop wrote:

    > "Daniel Boland" wrote in message
    > > imbsysop wrote:
    > >>

    > snip
    > >>
    > >> Not exactly as my ...X.0 samba server does display all workgroups and
    > >> all master browser per workgroup. The Q was : Is it possible to have
    > >> the ...X.0 server become the master browser for all the workgroups
    > >> within its IP subnet ?

    > > Then I have 2 questions:
    > >
    > > 1. Suppose there is a group called "A", and none of the PC's
    > > which are in group A is up. How would I copy a file "belonging"
    > > to group A, while my computer is in group "B"?

    > ?? .. How can one copy a file from a computer that is not switched on ? One
    > can't .. on any computer I guess ?
    >

    > > 2. Why is it a problem that the samba server is not the master
    > > browser?

    > It would be easier to admin for starters and it would cut out the need for
    > browser elections in each workgroup as the workgroup PC's are not on all the
    > time while the samba server is on 24/7 .. not to count my Km's wanderings
    > over 4 floors in a huge research building :-)

    I think you're expecting too much of the Samba protocol:

    First, the samba server *cannot* maintan more than one workgroup
    (its own). You say that this has been the case in your past
    experience with Windows for Workgroups, but the only thing that
    the server did/does is take a *copy* of the workgroup names it
    finds in its network neighbourhood and puts this in its browser
    list.
    This is also logical because, like I wrote earlier, if none of
    the PC's which are in group "A" are up, you cannot write a file
    to this group, even if the samba server *is* up.

    Secondly, how would you administer the clients in those
    workgroups? There is nothing to configure on a workgroup. There
    is nothing to configure on the shares in these workgroups
    either, unless you physically access the client-PC in question.

    Maybe you should try a software to remotely access the
    client-PCs like VNC, or Terminal Services, which comes standard
    on XP computers.

    Daniel

  19. Re: Browsing: IP subnet <=> workgroups

    On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 13:48:01 +0200, Daniel Boland
    wrote:

    >imbsysop wrote:
    >>
    >> "Daniel Boland" wrote in message
    >> > imbsysop wrote:
    >> >>

    >> snip

    >> > Then I have 2 questions:
    >> >
    >> > 1. Suppose there is a group called "A", and none of the PC's
    >> > which are in group A is up. How would I copy a file "belonging"
    >> > to group A, while my computer is in group "B"?

    >> ?? .. How can one copy a file from a computer that is not switched on ? One
    >> can't .. on any computer I guess ?
    >>

    >> > 2. Why is it a problem that the samba server is not the master
    >> > browser?

    >> It would be easier to admin for starters and it would cut out the need for
    >> browser elections in each workgroup as the workgroup PC's are not on all the
    >> time while the samba server is on 24/7 .. not to count my Km's wanderings
    >> over 4 floors in a huge research building :-)

    >I think you're expecting too much of the Samba protocol:
    >
    >First, the samba server *cannot* maintan more than one workgroup
    >(its own). You say that this has been the case in your past
    >experience with Windows for Workgroups, but the only thing that
    >the server did/does is take a *copy* of the workgroup names it
    >finds in its network neighbourhood and puts this in its browser
    >list.
    >This is also logical because, like I wrote earlier, if none of
    >the PC's which are in group "A" are up, you cannot write a file
    >to this group, even if the samba server *is* up.
    >
    >Secondly, how would you administer the clients in those
    >workgroups? There is nothing to configure on a workgroup. There
    >is nothing to configure on the shares in these workgroups
    >either, unless you physically access the client-PC in question.
    >
    >Maybe you should try a software to remotely access the
    >client-PCs like VNC, or Terminal Services, which comes standard
    >on XP computers.

    Thnx but I'm already using VNC to adminster one node :-)

    But I'm not looking for such facilities per se .. In my maybe somewhat
    crooked logic the MS "workgroup" concept is kind of lame when it comes
    of workgroups within one and the same IP subnet (?) ie I do not see
    the necessity for workgroup computers to engage in browser election
    protocols all the time. From a centralised point of management it
    would be nice if a samba server could take that over either
    automatically or user defined.
    When monitoring the IP subnet (ethereal) the overhead in the amount of
    traffic generated by those elections is just plain annoying.
    And I know this participation for elections can be switched off on a
    per machine basis but with XP that involves a registry hack on each
    machine .. I have far too many of them :-)
    Thnx for your input.

  20. Re: Browsing: IP subnet <=> workgroups

    "imbsysop" wrote in message
    > On Thu, 6 Apr 2006 17:18:18 -0600, "mmarien"
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"imbsysop" wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Vlad_Inhaler" wrote in message
    >>> news:1144164502.268331.24240@t31g2000cwb.googlegro ups.com...
    >>>>

    >>> That is not a bad idea .. maybe I should reconsider starting multiple
    >>> deamons (nmbd) I did read a lot about these possibilities a long time
    >>> ago
    >>> .. thnx for that pointer seems to give me some ideas again :-)
    >>>

    >>You'll run into problems with XP client systems using the %L parameter -
    >>see
    >>here:
    >>
    >>http://www.digitalmapping.sk.ca/Netw...amba%20PDC.htm
    >>

    > thnx for pointing that out (although I have read this before :-)) PS
    > shouldn't that read "port 445" instead of "443" for smb over TCP/IP ?
    > :-)

    Good catch. I'll change that.

+ Reply to Thread