Flakiness in network neighborhood - SMB

This is a discussion on Flakiness in network neighborhood - SMB ; What might cause machines to randomly not appear in neighborhood and to suffer serious timeouts frequently? I have RH9 server supporting dhcp, ddns, smb, etc. and all clients on network are Win2K or WinXP w/full dhcp client settings getting pushed. ...

  1. Flakiness in network neighborhood

    What might cause machines to randomly not appear in neighborhood and to
    suffer serious timeouts frequently?

    I have RH9 server supporting dhcp, ddns, smb, etc. and all clients on
    network are Win2K or WinXP w/full dhcp client settings getting pushed.

    It seems that it's a rare day that everyone is present and accounted
    for when viewing workgroup computers.

    Often just using back arrow from a neighborhood machine to get back to
    basic workgroup list...can take forever.

    Given that there is no "turn off samba flakiness" option, what might be
    some things wrong? This occurs on all windows lan client nodes.

  2. Re: Flakiness in network neighborhood

    mikeklein@sbcglobal.net wrote:
    > What might cause machines to randomly not appear in neighborhood and
    > to suffer serious timeouts frequently?

    There are too many possibilities. But a likely one is another machine with
    the "master browser" featured, stealing control over the workgroup/domain.
    Take a look at the Windows boxes and make sure that especially the Win9x
    boxes have the master browser feature disabled.

    > I have RH9 server supporting dhcp, ddns, smb, etc. and all clients on
    > network are Win2K or WinXP w/full dhcp client settings getting pushed.
    >
    > It seems that it's a rare day that everyone is present and accounted
    > for when viewing workgroup computers.
    >
    > Often just using back arrow from a neighborhood machine to get back to
    > basic workgroup list...can take forever.
    >
    > Given that there is no "turn off samba flakiness" option, what might
    > be some things wrong? This occurs on all windows lan client nodes.

  3. Re: Flakiness in network neighborhood

    All machines are XP or 2K. How do I change browser election vars on Win
    smb client? I thought there was hard-coded setting per OS for
    electability.

    On my samba server it has been bumped up to 99 so it will win all
    elections.

  4. Re: Flakiness in network neighborhood

    Plus...sometimes my XP laptop will disappear for hours at a time from
    neighborhood. There are no network connectivity problems to my
    knowlege.

    Why would some of my Win client computers behave differently with
    Samba...they are all part of same workgroup and are full dhcp clients
    (dns, wins).

  5. Re: Flakiness in network neighborhood

    I just ran ethereal with problem of winxp client not showing up in
    hood...per packets only 2 of 3 servers are being returned. Checking
    /var/cache/browse.dat shows that missing workstation isn't in list.

    So often often does a laptop upon waking from standby announce to samba
    server it's presence so samba can register it in hood?

  6. Re: Flakiness in network neighborhood

    mikeklein@sbcglobal.net wrote:

    > All machines are XP or 2K. How do I change browser election vars on Win
    > smb client? I thought there was hard-coded setting per OS for
    > electability.
    >
    > On my samba server it has been bumped up to 99 so it will win all
    > elections.

    M$ probably did the same thing. They like winning elections in
    questionable ways...

    Change following registry setting in the offending clients:

    \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servi ces\Browser\Parameters

    MaintainServerList=False

    Daniel

  7. Re: Flakiness in network neighborhood

    My problem doesn't appear to have to do with election process....rather
    certain Windows clients aren't regularly sending browse announcements
    and thus "fall off the neighborhood". I can see in Samba server logs
    that certain clients are getting pruned due to "inactive" or something.

    Given that win clients are on/awake and being used...not sure why
    they're not sending regular announcements.

+ Reply to Thread