Maximum file size transfer in CIFS or NFS - SMB

This is a discussion on Maximum file size transfer in CIFS or NFS - SMB ; Hi, I notice the use of 32 bit fields in CIFS headers... what is the maximum file size supported when using CIFS? Thanks David...

  1. Maximum file size transfer in CIFS or NFS

    Hi,
    I notice the use of 32 bit fields in CIFS headers... what is the
    maximum file size supported when using CIFS?

    Thanks
    David

  2. Re: Maximum file size transfer in CIFS or NFS

    wrote in message
    news:1142467731.157797.85780@u72g2000cwu.googlegro ups.com...
    > Hi,
    > I notice the use of 32 bit fields in CIFS headers... what is the
    > maximum file size supported when using CIFS?
    >
    > Thanks
    > David

    CIFS supports files up to 2^64 bytes in length. SMB command like Read and X/
    Write and X, for ezample, have two32-bit fields, one for regular offset and
    one for "offset high". Of course, this assumes that the underlying operating
    system supports so-called LARGE files. The Samba code has compile symbols
    like HAVE _EXPLICIT_LARGEFILE_SUPPORT and _LARGEFILE64_SOURCE that need to
    defined if the OS does indeed support large files.

  3. Re: Maximum file size transfer in CIFS or NFS

    Is it common for poeple to store large files on a network share via
    CIFS or NFS?
    If so, what applications typically do this?
    Thanks
    David

+ Reply to Thread