mount of samba partition - SMB

This is a discussion on mount of samba partition - SMB ; Hi , I have a query regarding samba mounts exported to another server . I am trying to mount the samba share on another linux server .I tried many methods , but a NFS like share could not be obtained ...

  1. mount of samba partition

    Hi ,

    I have a query regarding samba mounts exported to another server . I am
    trying to mount the samba share on another linux server .I tried many
    methods , but a NFS like share could not be obtained . I have to
    either mount as root or user or guest , this does not emulate the same
    effect as NFS .

    mount -t smb //server/sambashare /mnt/mount ,

    I tried this with guest ok and also the user mode ........

    Is it possible to have a transparent mount on the server ,i.e any user
    can access it and write and read into it as if it were NFS partition.

    Thanks and Regards
    Vijay

  2. Re: mount of samba partition

    Taking your first question, the way I do this on my own private network
    is:
    smbmount //host/share /mountpoint -o username=user%pass,uid=nnn,gid=nnn
    - for uid=nnn, nnn is the user-number the shared files should have when
    I access them
    - you can guess what gid=nnn does
    - Using the user%pass option is a security hole if someone else can do
    a 'ps' command on that host. Leave it off and enter it separately
    then.

    If this does not work then you need to start looking at error messages
    and the logs on the server for rejected access attempts.
    Btw, you say that it does not work but you do not say what form this
    'not working' takes.

    I'll pass on your second question because I have never felt the need to
    do this and because it was non-trivial last time I looked. I use SuSE
    and know that they have some mechanism to make this work, but another
    distribution may have a different method or may not have addressed the
    problem at all. Simply mounting the share via /etc/fstab will probably
    not work because networking is not up when fstab is processed (that
    applies to nfs as well, but there is a standard mechanism for fixing
    that problem). Some form of automounting may work but I have never
    investigated it.

  3. Re: mount of samba partition

    Thanks you Vald

    I can mount it with a certain Userid , but all files written into the
    share will have the same uid and gid , If the share is used by many
    people with rw access , I think it cannot be implemented .

+ Reply to Thread