Two XP Machines - SMB

This is a discussion on Two XP Machines - SMB ; I have two XP PCS (a desktop and a laptop) both members of a Windows domain. I also have a samba file server on our network. I have always simply setup a samba user with the same credentials as my ...

  1. Two XP Machines

    I have two XP PCS (a desktop and a laptop) both members of a Windows domain.
    I also have a samba file server on our network. I have always simply setup
    a samba user with the same credentials as my Windows network user account.

    The problem I have is if I log into my laptop I can access shares on the
    samba server, if I log into my desktop with the same Windows domain account
    I can't!

    Any ideas, much appreciated.

  2. Re: Two XP Machines

    Dan Booth wrote:
    > I have two XP PCS (a desktop and a laptop) both members of a Windows
    > domain. I also have a samba file server on our network. I have
    > always simply setup a samba user with the same credentials as my
    > Windows network user account.
    > The problem I have is if I log into my laptop I can access shares on
    > the samba server, if I log into my desktop with the same Windows
    > domain account I can't!
    >
    > Any ideas, much appreciated.

    Are both Windows machines "XP Pro", or "XP Home"? And have the machines
    actually been registered in the Samba domain? How is user authentication
    done on the Linux side? Do both users have local shell accounts?

    Details, man! Give us details! The contents of your smb.conf file, for
    example, would be very helpful to make a guess.

+ Reply to Thread