capabilities of samba/linux based network attached storage - SMB

This is a discussion on capabilities of samba/linux based network attached storage - SMB ; I just bought a Western Digital Netcenter drive. This appears to have an embedded Linux serving Samba, accessible via browser. Western Digital doesn't claim any support for Linux clients, but from my Linux system: % nmblookup '*' -T gives its ...

  1. capabilities of samba/linux based network attached storage

    I just bought a Western Digital Netcenter drive. This appears to have
    an embedded Linux serving Samba, accessible via browser. Western
    Digital doesn't claim any support for Linux clients, but from my
    Linux system:
    % nmblookup '*' -T
    gives its DHCP determined IP-address, and then Firefox access to
    http://IP-address
    allows me to set up a private folder "foobar" with password "foopass".
    Then I can mount the Western Digital drive on my Linux machine with
    # mount -t smbfs -o password=foopass //WD-NETCENTER/foobar /mnt

    So at this point I thought I had a real winner. Unfortunately, all
    files copied to the NetCenter drive have their permissions transformed
    to rwxr-xr-x. The Linux commands chmod and chown don't work for the
    files I copy to the NetCenter drive.

    (smbclient also works:
    % smbclient //WD-NETCENTER/foobar foopass
    but commands like
    smb: \> chmod filename 700
    are rejected with messages such as
    Pushing string of 'unlimited' length into non-SMB buffer!
    NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED chmod file \700 00 )

    I am a newbie to Samba. Do you think the WD NetCenter behavior I
    describe
    above is a limitation of Samba or a limited implementation of Samba on
    the WD NetCenter product?
    Any suggestions for workarounds would be very welcome.
    I imagine that I could use tar to make the WD NetCenter
    a simple backup device for my Linux system, but that would be a
    disappointingly restricted use.

    (By the way, I've gone through this exercise with a similar product,
    the Iomega 250GB Network Hard Drive. Iomega advertises that it _does_
    work with Linux clients. Setup proceeded much as above, however there
    was much the same problem with changing permissions. In fact, at
    http://www.iomega.com/support/redirect/networkhdd.html
    under "more answers", Iomega's FAQ says:
    Question
    How do I set up network permissions for my Iomega¨∆ Network Hard
    Drive High-Speed Ethernet?
    Answer
    All computers connected to the LAN will have read/write access to
    all files stored on the Iomega Network Hard Drive.
    Currently, the Iomega Network Hard Drive does not have the ability
    to specify file or folder level permissions.
    So this looks more restrictive than the WD NetCenter drive.

    Thanks,
    -- Steffen

  2. Re: capabilities of samba/linux based network attached storage

    Hi Steffen,

    I am working on a network HDD storage solution, too. I have an
    Iomega Network Hard Drive 160GB. You will see a post of mine in
    this group about disappearing files.

    But I am under the impression that it won't be possible to
    assign any other rights to the contents of the share than those
    you assign at mount time with the uid, gid, fmask, and dmask
    options.

    Quoting from the smbmnt (2.0.5a) man page:

    " Lan Manager does not know anything about file
    permissions, so smbmnt must be told which permis*
    sions it should assign to the mounted files and
    directories.

    The values must be given as octal numbers. The default
    values are taken from the current umask, where
    the file mode is the current umask, and the dir mode
    adds execute permissions where the file mode gives
    read permissions.

    Note that these permissions can differ from the rights
    the server gives to us. If you do not have write
    permissions on the server, you should choose a
    file mode that matches your actual permissions. This
    certainly cannot override the restrictions imposed by
    the server."

    So, if you want to assign user rights on a SMB share, you have
    to publish the share from a Windows "Kiste".

    But even in the Windows context, assigning user rights to
    individual files and directories is not possible, unless your
    drive is NTFS formatted (Windows NT and higher).

    Daniel

    --
    * kantoorautomatisering (Word, Excel, Outlook, Access)