samba on port 445 too? - SMB

This is a discussion on samba on port 445 too? - SMB ; We run smbd out of inetd, listening on port 139. Should we also have inetd start smbd for connections on port 445? -- Jeff Wieland...

  1. samba on port 445 too?

    --
    Jeff Wieland

  2. Re: samba on port 445 too?

    In article ,
    Jeff Wieland writes:

    > We run smbd out of inetd, listening on port 139. Should we also have
    > inetd start smbd for connections on port 445?

    It depends. Port 139 is used for SMB using the old NetBIOS over TCP/IP
    protocols. This is used by Windows 9x/Me, DOS, OS/2, and various older SMB
    implementations, as well as by newer systems for compatibility. Newer
    systems, including Windows XP/200x and recent versions of Samba, can use
    either NetBIOS over TCP/IP on port 139, or they can optionally use a more
    direct method of connection using port 445. If you're using older clients
    exclusively, then there's no point to activating port 445 access. If
    you've got newer clients, then providing both enables the client to choose
    which method to use. The port 445 method enables some additional features,
    which are mostly performance-related. I don't know of any benchmarks
    testing the speed of these methods, though, so I don't know how important
    these features are in improving performance.

    --
    Rod Smith, rodsmith@rodsbooks.com
    http://www.rodsbooks.com

  3. Re: samba on port 445 too?

    Jeff Wieland wrote:
    > We run smbd out of inetd, listening on port 139. Should we also have
    > inetd start smbd for connections on port 445?
    > --
    > Jeff Wieland

    139 is a NetBIOS port (Used for NetBIOS name resolution)

    445 is SMB (Server Message Blocks) itself.

+ Reply to Thread