Need Quickbooks 2006 network workaround - SMB

This is a discussion on Need Quickbooks 2006 network workaround - SMB ; Hi All, All Quickbooks 2006 network editions (for Windows) will no longer work on a non-Windows (A.K.K Samba) server. And, will only work like crap on a Windows peer-to-peer network. See http://quickbooksusers.com/.forums/s...threadid=16247 http://www.sleeter.com/articles/1132709598 Anyone know how to trick Quickbooks into ...

  1. Need Quickbooks 2006 network workaround

    Hi All,

    All Quickbooks 2006 network editions (for Windows)
    will no longer work on a non-Windows (A.K.K Samba)
    server. And, will only work like crap on a Windows
    peer-to-peer network. See

    http://quickbooksusers.com/.forums/s...threadid=16247
    http://www.sleeter.com/articles/1132709598

    Anyone know how to trick Quickbooks into operating
    in multiuser mode over a Samba network?

    Many thanks,
    --Tony

  2. Re: Need Quickbooks 2006 network workaround

    Tony wrote:

    > Hi All,
    >
    > All Quickbooks 2006 network editions (for Windows)
    > will no longer work on a non-Windows (A.K.K Samba)
    > server. And, will only work like crap on a Windows
    > peer-to-peer network. See

    http://quickbooksusers.com/.forums/s...threadid=16247
    > http://www.sleeter.com/articles/1132709598
    >
    > Anyone know how to trick Quickbooks into operating
    > in multiuser mode over a Samba network?
    >
    > Many thanks,
    > --Tony

    Are you mounting using CIFS or SMB? If SMB, give CIFS a spin as it's more
    robust and may support what you are looking for.

  3. Re: Need Quickbooks 2006 network workaround

    Tony wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > All Quickbooks 2006 network editions (for Windows)
    > will no longer work on a non-Windows (A.K.K Samba)
    > server. And, will only work like crap on a Windows
    > peer-to-peer network. See
    > http://quickbooksusers.com/.forums/s...threadid=16247
    > http://www.sleeter.com/articles/1132709598
    >
    > Anyone know how to trick Quickbooks into operating
    > in multiuser mode over a Samba network?

    Beware beforehand -- I don't use QB and haven't even played with it
    much.

    But ... I do know networks, databases, and have used/played with
    Sybase.

    First, the links relate to Windows installs but _do_ provide some info
    relavant to what I _think_ has been your past practice.

    Seems till this new update, that QB used a "file share" db engine (like
    dbase or access) where the engine resided on the clients, but the
    _data_ files (_your_ data files) resided on a network share. (This is
    conjecture.) Apparently, the update installs a networked, multiuser
    database engine (Sybase specifically.) They may have been using Sybase
    all along as an embedded db engine and have changed to a networked
    configuration.

    In itself this would not be catastrophic -- and it is a _much_ more
    robust and safer architecture. Sybase does have a version that runs on
    Linux. Relief you sigh...

    Alas, the QB setup requires a QB service (aka daemon) to be running on
    the computer hosting the database engine (Sybase) and the data files
    (called the "QuickBooksDB" service named QBDBMgr.exe). The links don't
    go into any details, but I _strongly_ suspect that this service is
    required to bridge the QB running on the clients to the QB datafiles
    being accessed via the Sybase dbms. This is not a technical necessity
    per se, it's just the way Quiken designed their QB application.

    Chances are that you can't circumvent it for regular use. Unless
    Quicken offers that service in a version that runs on Linux (don't hold
    your breath) I think you're SOL and will have to find another solution
    or continue with older QB versions. With enough details I could
    confirm the possibility of working around this or the more probable
    likelihood that no workaround exists or is not worth implementing.
    Could involve both db security issues as well as Quicken IP.

    As I say, I am basing this on the little I could glean from the links
    and my own past experience with database programming projects. There
    likely _is_ a way to get it running accepatably on a p2p network. Take
    to heart the instructions/warnings provided in the second link,
    especially re: the need to confirm that only _one_ Sybase instance is
    installed and running with the QBDBMgr.exe service (if you can fake it
    as a service under XP home or run it as a true service under XP Pro).

    sorry that's all I can suggest for now,
    prg

+ Reply to Thread