samba forgets all machine accounts - SMB

This is a discussion on samba forgets all machine accounts - SMB ; Hello experts, my samba 2.2.4 forgot all machine accounts over night. On tuesday all clients logged on to the samba pdc without any problem. Next day none of the clients (win NT 4) was able to log on to the ...

  1. samba forgets all machine accounts

    Hello experts,

    my samba 2.2.4 forgot all machine accounts over night.

    On tuesday all clients logged on to the samba pdc
    without any problem.

    Next day none of the clients (win NT 4) was able to
    log on to the domain. (don't know exact error in
    english, something like "the system wasn't able
    to log you in for your machine password is wrong or
    missing ...") It's that error you get, when you forget
    to enable machine accounts.

    I then replaced smb.conf and smbpasswd with older
    versions from an backup - did not help.

    Next i removed secrets.tdb - did not help.

    Are there any hints out there?

    Many thanks in advance

    Thomas Hermann

  2. Re: samba forgets all machine accounts

    Thomas Hermann wrote:

    > Hello experts,
    >
    > my samba 2.2.4 forgot all machine accounts over night.
    >
    > On tuesday all clients logged on to the samba pdc
    > without any problem.
    >
    > Next day none of the clients (win NT 4) was able to
    > log on to the domain. (don't know exact error in
    > english, something like "the system wasn't able
    > to log you in for your machine password is wrong or
    > missing ...") It's that error you get, when you forget
    > to enable machine accounts.
    >
    > I then replaced smb.conf and smbpasswd with older
    > versions from an backup - did not help.
    >
    > Next i removed secrets.tdb - did not help.
    >
    > Are there any hints out there?

    Since you didn't provide any log, it is just a guess: does or did your
    servers clock go _really_ wrong on wednesday?
    Linux 2.6.12-mm2 [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

  3. Re: samba forgets all machine accounts

    Walter Mautner schrieb:
    > Thomas Hermann wrote:
    >

    >>Hello experts,
    >>
    >>my samba 2.2.4 forgot all machine accounts over night.
    >>
    >>On tuesday all clients logged on to the samba pdc
    >>without any problem.
    >>
    >>Next day none of the clients (win NT 4) was able to
    >>log on to the domain. (don't know exact error in
    >>english, something like "the system wasn't able
    >>to log you in for your machine password is wrong or
    >>missing ...") It's that error you get, when you forget
    >>to enable machine accounts.
    >>
    >>I then replaced smb.conf and smbpasswd with older
    >>versions from an backup - did not help.
    >>
    >>Next i removed secrets.tdb - did not help.
    >>
    >>Are there any hints out there?
    >>

    > Since you didn't provide any log, it is just a guess: does or did your
    > servers clock go _really_ wrong on wednesday?

    Good guess, i do have problems with my clock.

    But why can't clients log in, when the server's clock
    is wrong - please give me a hint.

    Thomas Hermann

  4. Cool Re: samba forgets all machine accounts

    unix password sync = no

    I spent weeks wondering why the blistered nuts my password kept resetting(only have one samba user for personal file server) and didn't realize until I reset with my shell password instead of using sudo that I had the above option set to yes in smb.conf

+ Reply to Thread