Some user could access some others could not. - SMB

This is a discussion on Some user could access some others could not. - SMB ; Hi, I am trying to install samba to replace a windows 2000 server. I have installed Debian Sarge and then get samba with aptitude. I have created the unix accounts, the groups and then set the proper permission to the ...

  1. Some user could access some others could not.

    Hi,

    I am trying to install samba to replace a windows 2000 server.
    I have installed Debian Sarge and then get samba with aptitude.
    I have created the unix accounts, the groups and then set the proper
    permission to the files and directories in the share.
    I have mapped unix groups to some samba groups wich I have created for
    the purpose.
    I was able to add XP machine account and login properly with some
    accounts but some others look like doesn't exixt. However, through net
    command, I can see that they were in the samba database. Notice that
    this happens even with users in the same group.
    Maybe I have missed something?
    Any help, or pointer to documentation\troubleshoting, is apreciated.

    Thanks in advance.
    Giancarlo Pioli.

  2. Re: Some user could access some others could not.

    wrote in message
    news:1136056916.180651.20990@f14g2000cwb.googlegro ups.com...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am trying to install samba to replace a windows 2000 server.
    > I have installed Debian Sarge and then get samba with aptitude.
    > I have created the unix accounts, the groups and then set the proper
    > permission to the files and directories in the share.
    > I have mapped unix groups to some samba groups wich I have created for
    > the purpose.
    > I was able to add XP machine account and login properly with some
    > accounts but some others look like doesn't exixt. However, through net
    > command, I can see that they were in the samba database. Notice that
    > this happens even with users in the same group.
    > Maybe I have missed something?
    > Any help, or pointer to documentation\troubleshoting, is apreciated.

    How are you authenticating users? I've had good success with LDAP recently
    for single-sign-on.

  3. Re: Some user could access some others could not.

    I am using tdbsam because it's a small network and the only service
    provided is file server.
    Another really strange behaviour I have noticed is that even the
    security model is now "user" and the shares have all the same settings,
    apart from the owner an the owners group, only a specific folder,
    browsing the share from windows asks a specific password.
    Maybe there is a problem on the client side?

    Thank you for the answer.

  4. Re: Some user could access some others could not.

    Have you changed the name of the account on XP?
    If you create an account called "a" and then change the name to "b" XP
    will still send "a" as the authentication to samba.

    In article <1136056916.180651.20990@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.c om>,
    gcpioli@gmail.com writes

    --
    Peter Grange

  5. Re: Some user could access some others could not.

    I have solved the problem deleting all the .tdb files located in
    /var/lib/samba/, removing the samba related packages and then
    reinstalling them completely.
    I have made this decision because of the inconsistent behaviour of
    samba with the shares.
    I am sure that there is a more elegant way to solve such problem but it
    worked for me.
    By the way did you happen to know if there is a way to inspect the
    content of the .tdb file?

    Thanks for your answer.
    Giancarlo Pioli

+ Reply to Thread