Linux Script To Check Available Windows Disk Space - SMB

This is a discussion on Linux Script To Check Available Windows Disk Space - SMB ; Is there a way from Linux that I can check available Windows disk space on a server if I know the local Administrator password on it? Can Samba be utilized to achieve this? Because my auditors are tough on things ...

  1. Linux Script To Check Available Windows Disk Space

    Is there a way from Linux that I can check available Windows disk space
    on a server if I know the local Administrator password on it? Can Samba
    be utilized to achieve this?

    Because my auditors are tough on things loaded in Task Scheduler, I'd
    hate to have to load a VB script in task scheduler that checks disk
    space and forwards it to my central Linux server.

  2. Re: Linux Script To Check Available Windows Disk Space

    <99m@myway.com> wrote in message
    news:1135047228.975917.180200@g47g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    > Is there a way from Linux that I can check available Windows disk space
    > on a server if I know the local Administrator password on it? Can Samba
    > be utilized to achieve this?

    Yes.

    Most Windows boxes have share access to the "C:" drive enabled, by mounting
    it as \\windowsbox\C$. To get at that from Linux, you can use the "mount -t
    smbfs //windows/C$ /tmp/mountpoint" command or something like it. Edit the
    options for SMB mounting to taste.

    > Because my auditors are tough on things loaded in Task Scheduler, I'd
    > hate to have to load a VB script in task scheduler that checks disk
    > space and forwards it to my central Linux server.

    Cygwin is your friend, as are the various SNMP monitors like mrtg, or the
    bigbrother and bigsister network monitor tools. I know bigbrother has a
    Windows plug-in that can report back to a Linux server, and I've got decent
    SRPM's for a fairly recent bigbrother version if you want them.

+ Reply to Thread