"Cannot delete - Access is denied" - SMB

This is a discussion on "Cannot delete - Access is denied" - SMB ; We came in yesterday morning to learn that our Linux server had suffered a power outage overnight. Fortunately, we started up again and there were no problems with disk or data corruption that we could detect, but suddenly we had ...

  1. "Cannot delete - Access is denied"

    We came in yesterday morning to learn that our Linux server had
    suffered a power outage overnight. Fortunately, we started up again and
    there were no problems with disk or data corruption that we could
    detect, but suddenly we had a problem when accessing the Samba shares
    from our Windows 2000 workstation. The server is running Fedora Core 3
    and samba-3.0.10-1.fc3.

    Let's call our user "bob". Before this outage, everything was working
    fine. He had full access to the share, which we'll call SHARE. After
    the outage, logged in at his W2K station, he can create and modify
    files, but not delete them. An attempt to do so results in the Windows
    error "Cannot delete : Access is denied. The source file may be
    in use."

    The directory to which SHARE is mapped has 777 permission. Its user
    owner is someone other than "bob", but its group owner is a group that
    contains "bob".

    One thought I had was that perhaps unbeknownst to us we had long ago
    made some sort of crippling change in our smb.conf but then neglected
    to restart the daemon, preventing the error from arising until now. But
    I found a backup of smb.conf dated some time ago and the one currently
    in place matches it. Still, I cannot rule this possibility out
    entirely.

    One last thing: if I am logged into the Linux station as "bob", I have
    full access and can create, modify, and delete files from the directory
    to which SHARE is mapped.

    So the only thing that has changed for "bob" is that he cannot delete
    files from the shares in which he had free reign before the outage.
    This might not be a big problem except that Photoshop refuses to save
    documents at all when it cannot delete its temp files. So unfortunately
    our work is more or less halted until I can get this fixed.

    I'll continue looking through documentation and old Usenet posts, but I
    hope this problem is immediately familiar to someone else around here.
    Thanks for your attention.

    Brendan LeFebvre

  2. Re: "Cannot delete - Access is denied"

    "Brendan C. LeFebvre" wrote in message
    news:1134820051.427820.37630@g14g2000cwa.googlegro ups.com...
    > We came in yesterday morning to learn that our Linux server had
    > suffered a power outage overnight. Fortunately, we started up again and
    > there were no problems with disk or data corruption that we could
    > detect, but suddenly we had a problem when accessing the Samba shares
    > from our Windows 2000 workstation. The server is running Fedora Core 3
    > and samba-3.0.10-1.fc3.

    Did you do an "fsck" on the down system? And has the user on the Windows box
    logged out and back in, to make sure that any mounted shares are released?

    > Let's call our user "bob". Before this outage, everything was working
    > fine. He had full access to the share, which we'll call SHARE. After
    > the outage, logged in at his W2K station, he can create and modify
    > files, but not delete them. An attempt to do so results in the Windows
    > error "Cannot delete : Access is denied. The source file may be
    > in use."
    >
    > The directory to which SHARE is mapped has 777 permission. Its user
    > owner is someone other than "bob", but its group owner is a group that
    > contains "bob".

    Take a look at the directory from the Linux file. There may be lock files
    left behind, often starting with a "~".. Get rid of those and you may fix
    the problem.

    > One thought I had was that perhaps unbeknownst to us we had long ago
    > made some sort of crippling change in our smb.conf but then neglected
    > to restart the daemon, preventing the error from arising until now. But
    > I found a backup of smb.conf dated some time ago and the one currently
    > in place matches it. Still, I cannot rule this possibility out
    > entirely.
    >
    > One last thing: if I am logged into the Linux station as "bob", I have
    > full access and can create, modify, and delete files from the directory
    > to which SHARE is mapped.

    So the file system is alive.

    > So the only thing that has changed for "bob" is that he cannot delete
    > files from the shares in which he had free reign before the outage.
    > This might not be a big problem except that Photoshop refuses to save
    > documents at all when it cannot delete its temp files. So unfortunately
    > our work is more or less halted until I can get this fixed.

    Can "bob" create a new file and delete that? And has he logged out and back
    in?

  3. Re: "Cannot delete - Access is denied"

    Brendan C. LeFebvre wrote:

    > Let's call our user "bob". Before this outage, everything was working
    > fine. He had full access to the share, which we'll call SHARE. After
    > the outage, logged in at his W2K station, he can create and modify
    > files, but not delete them. An attempt to do so results in the Windows
    > error "Cannot delete : Access is denied. The source file may be
    > in use."
    >
    > The directory to which SHARE is mapped has 777 permission. Its user
    > owner is someone other than "bob", but its group owner is a group that
    > contains "bob".

    > One last thing: if I am logged into the Linux station as "bob", I have
    > full access and can create, modify, and delete files from the directory
    > to which SHARE is mapped.

    So the problem is with windows, not linux filesystem. Sometimes security
    related windows updates create similar problems, or virus scanner updates.
    You may try a more recent samba version with more tweaks to overcome the
    windows "extensions" to the smb/cifs protocol.
    Linux 2.6.12-mm2 [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

  4. Re: "Cannot delete - Access is denied"

    Brendan C. LeFebvre wrote:

    snip

    > One thought I had was that perhaps unbeknownst to us we had long ago
    > made some sort of crippling change in our smb.conf but then neglected
    > to restart the daemon, preventing the error from arising until now. But
    > I found a backup of smb.conf dated some time ago and the one currently
    > in place matches it. Still, I cannot rule this possibility out
    > entirely.

    snip

    > Brendan LeFebvre

    This is not going to help you resolve your problem, but I'll say it
    anyway: afaik changes to smb.conf take effect pretty much immediately
    (a couple of minutes?), not the next time Samba gets restarted.

+ Reply to Thread