help re-joining a samba domain - SMB

This is a discussion on help re-joining a samba domain - SMB ; I have small Samba domain. I removed one machine from the domain, due to a problem, now trying to re-join, it is giving me the following: "The following error occurred attempting to join the domain "DOMAIN_NAME": The specified domain either ...

  1. help re-joining a samba domain

    I have small Samba domain. I removed one machine from the domain, due to a
    problem, now trying to re-join, it is giving me the following: "The
    following error occurred attempting to join the domain "DOMAIN_NAME": The
    specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted" Please
    provide idea and information.

    Thanks
    doverbey@optonline.net

  2. Re: help re-joining a samba domain

    "Overbey" wrote in message
    >I have small Samba domain. I removed one machine from the domain, due to a
    > problem, now trying to re-join, it is giving me the following: "The
    > following error occurred attempting to join the domain "DOMAIN_NAME": The
    > specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted" Please
    > provide idea and information.

    are you running Win XP on this machien ? did you have to "repair" the
    installeed OS ?

    As it happens I did have to switch the mobo on one of my machines and do an
    XP repair to force a HAL redetect and install ..
    The repair did reset the digitally encripted parameters (set through
    gpedit.msc) which screws up the communication protocol between the samba
    server and the PC

    FWIW

  3. Re: help re-joining a samba domain

    This machine is running Windows 2000 Pro. I have a small domain, consisting
    of 10 Linux and 10 Windows machines (some 2000/2003 servers and 2000 Pro and
    XP pro). I rechecked the config of the samba server, stopped and restarted
    the samba server; but, this 2KP machine still will not join the domain.

    "imbsysop" wrote in message

    > "Overbey" wrote in message
    > >I have small Samba domain. I removed one machine from the domain, due to

    > > problem, now trying to re-join, it is giving me the following: "The
    > > following error occurred attempting to join the domain "DOMAIN_NAME":

    The
    > > specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted"

    Please
    > > provide idea and information.

    > are you running Win XP on this machien ? did you have to "repair" the
    > installeed OS ?
    >
    > As it happens I did have to switch the mobo on one of my machines and do

    an
    > XP repair to force a HAL redetect and install ..
    > The repair did reset the digitally encripted parameters (set through
    > gpedit.msc) which screws up the communication protocol between the samba
    > server and the PC
    >
    > FWIW

  4. Re: help re-joining a samba domain

    "Overbey" wrote in message
    > This machine is running Windows 2000 Pro. I have a small domain,
    > consisting
    > of 10 Linux and 10 Windows machines (some 2000/2003 servers and 2000 Pro
    > and
    > XP pro). I rechecked the config of the samba server, stopped and
    > restarted
    > the samba server; but, this 2KP machine still will not join the domain.

    dunno about W2K .. I'm only running Win XP pro on my small domain .. you
    should check the docs on connection protocols ie wheter workstations need to
    encrypt the password or not (and what the OS default is) and set the
    parameters accordingly or in a general way on the samba server or
    individually on the workstations
    HTH

  5. Re: help re-joining a samba domain

    On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 22:51:05 -0500, Overbey wrote:

    > I have small Samba domain. I removed one machine from the domain, due to
    > a problem, now trying to re-join, it is giving me the following: "The
    > following error occurred attempting to join the domain "DOMAIN_NAME": The
    > specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted" Please
    > provide idea and information.

    This is a name resolution failure. Check your name resolution settings
    in smb.conf.

    Jeremy.

  6. Re: help re-joining a samba domain

    Not sure I understand; the resolution settings (I think you are speaking
    about are) name resolve order = wins lmhosts bcast. I am also using samba
    as the wins server. Please explain.
    Thanks
    Dudley

    "Jeremy Allison" wrote in message
    newsan.2005.12.10.17.48.08.490500@samba.org...
    > On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 22:51:05 -0500, Overbey wrote:
    >
    > > I have small Samba domain. I removed one machine from the domain, due

    > > a problem, now trying to re-join, it is giving me the following: "The
    > > following error occurred attempting to join the domain "DOMAIN_NAME":

    The
    > > specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted"

    Please
    > > provide idea and information.

    > This is a name resolution failure. Check your name resolution settings
    > in smb.conf.
    >
    > Jeremy.

  7. Re: help re-joining a samba domain

    On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 09:48:08 -0800, Jeremy Allison
    wrote:

    >On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 22:51:05 -0500, Overbey wrote:
    >
    >> I have small Samba domain. I removed one machine from the domain, due to
    >> a problem, now trying to re-join, it is giving me the following: "The
    >> following error occurred attempting to join the domain "DOMAIN_NAME": The
    >> specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted" Please
    >> provide idea and information.

    >This is a name resolution failure. Check your name resolution settings
    >in smb.conf.

    ?? are you meaning a DNS problem ?

  8. Re: help re-joining a samba domain

    Still trying to understand. I have entries in the hosts files, the lmhost
    files - checked the name resolution entry in the smb.conf; all look okay to
    me (but if I mattered, then I wouldn't have to have asked the question).
    Thanks

    "Jeremy Allison" wrote in message
    newsan.2005.12.10.17.48.08.490500@samba.org...
    > On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 22:51:05 -0500, Overbey wrote:
    >
    > > I have small Samba domain. I removed one machine from the domain, due

    > > a problem, now trying to re-join, it is giving me the following: "The
    > > following error occurred attempting to join the domain "DOMAIN_NAME":

    The
    > > specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted"

    Please
    > > provide idea and information.

    > This is a name resolution failure. Check your name resolution settings
    > in smb.conf.
    >
    > Jeremy.

  9. Re: help re-joining a samba domain

    On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 18:40:39 -0500, "Overbey"
    wrote:

    >Still trying to understand. I have entries in the hosts files, the lmhost
    >files - checked the name resolution entry in the smb.conf; all look okay to
    >me (but if I mattered, then I wouldn't have to have asked the question).
    >Thanks

    did you check the "signorseal" registry "patch" ? I just quick checked
    through google and it is suggested there that it is needed fro W2K too
    HTH

  10. Re: help re-joining a samba domain

    Not sure what that is, but will do a Google Search
    Thanks

    "imbsysop" wrote in message
    > On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 18:40:39 -0500, "Overbey"
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Still trying to understand. I have entries in the hosts files, the

    lmhost
    > >files - checked the name resolution entry in the smb.conf; all look okay

    > >me (but if I mattered, then I wouldn't have to have asked the question).
    > >Thanks
    > >

    > did you check the "signorseal" registry "patch" ? I just quick checked
    > through google and it is suggested there that it is needed fro W2K too
    > ..
    > HTH

  11. Re: help re-joining a samba domain

    Thanks to all that replied, I fixed my problem. I had made a mistake in the
    "WINS" server configuration. Once I fixed that, I was able to join the
    domain without any problems.
    Thanks again

    "Overbey" wrote in message
    > I have small Samba domain. I removed one machine from the domain, due to

    > problem, now trying to re-join, it is giving me the following: "The
    > following error occurred attempting to join the domain "DOMAIN_NAME": The
    > specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted" Please
    > provide idea and information.
    >
    > Thanks
    > doverbey@optonline.net

+ Reply to Thread