Connecting to Remote Samba server using cable modem internet connection - SMB

This is a discussion on Connecting to Remote Samba server using cable modem internet connection - SMB ; Hi All Can any one help in knowing whether it is not possible to connect amba server from my Windows xp Pc ,Iam using cable modem to connect to the Internet .. I am able to telnet to the Pc ...

  1. Connecting to Remote Samba server using cable modem internet connection

    Hi All
    Can any one help in knowing whether it is not possible to connect amba
    server from my Windows xp Pc ,Iam using cable modem to connect to the
    Internet
    .. I am able to telnet to the Pc where my samba server is running

    And in the Pc Where Samba server is running ,Firewall is disabled.

    But when My Windows xp Pc and samba server on the same Local lan I am
    able to connect to samba server.

    Any help is highly appreciated...

    Thanks,
    Anand

  2. Re: Connecting to Remote Samba server using cable modem internet connection

    On 26 Nov 2005 04:21:49 -0800,
    anand.vt@gmail.com , in
    <1133007709.668733.107570@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups. com> wrote:

    >+ Can any one help in knowing whether it is not possible to connect amba
    >+ server from my Windows xp Pc

    You can. But it sounds like somewhere someone is filtering the Windows
    sharing. This is a Good Thing. Attempting to do Windows file sharing
    over a hostile internet is a Phenomenally Bad Idea.

    A more secure way of doing what you want might be found here:

    http://www.ibiblio.org/gferg/ldp/Sam...-with-SSH.html

    Additional information can be had by searching on "samba ssh" in
    google.

    James
    isn't looking good, either.

  3. Re: Connecting to Remote Samba server using cable modem internet connection

    I R A Darth Aggie wrote:

    > On 26 Nov 2005 04:21:49 -0800,
    > anand.vt@gmail.com , in
    > <1133007709.668733.107570@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups. com> wrote:
    >
    > >+ Can any one help in knowing whether it is not possible to connect amba
    > >+ server from my Windows xp Pc

    > You can. But it sounds like somewhere someone is filtering the Windows
    > sharing. This is a Good Thing. Attempting to do Windows file sharing
    > over a hostile internet is a Phenomenally Bad Idea.
    >
    > A more secure way of doing what you want might be found here:
    >
    > http://www.ibiblio.org/gferg/ldp/Sam...-with-SSH.html
    >
    > Additional information can be had by searching on "samba ssh" in
    > google.

    Also SMB only goes across the one network segment, so your connection gets
    blocked in this way. But SMB over internet is a Really Bad Idea.

    If you must do it then, as Darth says, shield it in VNC or ssh.

    Eric

  4. Re: Connecting to Remote Samba server using cable modem internet connection

    Thank You all very much

    Regards
    Anand

+ Reply to Thread