Crossplatform URLs to access Samba shares - SMB

This is a discussion on Crossplatform URLs to access Samba shares - SMB ; At work I have setup a wiki based Intranet to access data and files on our network. I have linked to many files throughout the Intranet by using the file:/// convention (file:///N:\05Wiki\SVM%20July%2005.doc) it works great for almost all of my ...

  1. Crossplatform URLs to access Samba shares

    At work I have setup a wiki based Intranet to access data and files on
    our network. I have linked to many files throughout the Intranet by
    using the file:/// convention (file:///N:\05Wiki\SVM%20July%2005.doc)
    it works great for almost all of my users (Windows) with the exception
    of our one OS X user. I realize the naming convention for Mac is
    different (smb://path/to/file).

    Is there a way I can get the URLs to work the same way on both
    platforms without making two seperate links on each page? Perhaps some
    sort of dynamic solution?

  2. Re: Crossplatform URLs to access Samba shares

    dropandhop wrote:
    > At work I have setup a wiki based Intranet to access data and files on
    > our network. I have linked to many files throughout the Intranet by
    > using the file:/// convention (file:///N:\05Wiki\SVM%20July%2005.doc)
    > it works great for almost all of my users (Windows) with the exception
    > of our one OS X user. I realize the naming convention for Mac is
    > different (smb://path/to/file).
    >
    > Is there a way I can get the URLs to work the same way on both
    > platforms without making two seperate links on each page? Perhaps some
    > sort of dynamic solution?

    Try the smb:// format for both.

+ Reply to Thread