Help: Newbie question of protocols on ports 139 and 445 - SMB

This is a discussion on Help: Newbie question of protocols on ports 139 and 445 - SMB ; Hi, I have been reading the RFCs and some articles about protocols on NetBIOS and CIFS (known as SMB). As far as I understand, NetBIOS name service, sessions and datagram protocols are listening on ports 137, 138 and 139. For ...

  1. Help: Newbie question of protocols on ports 139 and 445

    Hi,

    I have been reading the RFCs and some articles about protocols on
    NetBIOS and CIFS (known as SMB). As far as I understand, NetBIOS name
    service, sessions and datagram protocols are listening on ports 137,
    138 and 139. For any communications to Windows 9X/NT and before,
    NetBIOS protocol is used which is the 13[7-9] ports.
    Assumes a NetBIOS session is established and the CIFS
    authentication is succeeded. When a file transfer starts, the USER_DATA
    portion inside the session message packet (according to section 4.3.6
    in RFC 1002) is the CIFS packet with command field, SMB_COM_READ_ANDX
    (0x2E). Is that right? Please feel free to comment.

    I also read other articles saying that any communications between
    Window XP and 2000, NetBIOS is not used. Instead, microsoft-ds protocol
    is used on port 445. What is this microsoft-ds protocol? Is it just
    CIFS over TCP/UDP? I cannot find any RFC or any document describing the
    format of the protocol. Please can anyone point me to the right
    direction.

    Many thanks
    Joe

  2. Re: Newbie question of protocols on ports 139 and 445

    As far as I have heard and read, you are correct on both accounts.

    Mike Ober.

    "Joe" wrote in message
    news:1128377344.971911.28090@f14g2000cwb.googlegro ups.com...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have been reading the RFCs and some articles about protocols on
    > NetBIOS and CIFS (known as SMB). As far as I understand, NetBIOS name
    > service, sessions and datagram protocols are listening on ports 137,
    > 138 and 139. For any communications to Windows 9X/NT and before,
    > NetBIOS protocol is used which is the 13[7-9] ports.
    > Assumes a NetBIOS session is established and the CIFS
    > authentication is succeeded. When a file transfer starts, the USER_DATA
    > portion inside the session message packet (according to section 4.3.6
    > in RFC 1002) is the CIFS packet with command field, SMB_COM_READ_ANDX
    > (0x2E). Is that right? Please feel free to comment.
    >
    > I also read other articles saying that any communications between
    > Window XP and 2000, NetBIOS is not used. Instead, microsoft-ds protocol
    > is used on port 445. What is this microsoft-ds protocol? Is it just
    > CIFS over TCP/UDP? I cannot find any RFC or any document describing the
    > format of the protocol. Please can anyone point me to the right
    > direction.
    >
    > Many thanks
    > Joe

+ Reply to Thread