Linking with samba - SMB

This is a discussion on Linking with samba - SMB ; Hi, Does anyone have any information on the state of links (hard links or symlinks, or even silly Windows shortcuts) in Samba? More specifically I have a Windows 2003 share mounted on RHEL 3 and I'm not allowed to create ...

  1. Linking with samba

    Hi,

    Does anyone have any information on the state of links (hard links or
    symlinks, or even silly Windows shortcuts) in Samba?

    More specifically I have a Windows 2003 share mounted on RHEL 3 and I'm
    not allowed to create symlinks or hard links (or pipes probably, but
    haven't tried). Is there a mechanism that I can set up that will give me
    any kind of link functionality (i.e. refer to the same file using 2
    different paths)?

    I know you can set up links on a samba share so that Windows can use
    links, but as far as I can see Windows (at least WinXP) just overwrites
    symlinks with files when you write to the links, totally breaking the
    link. I image hardlinks would work fine, but I've not tried it.

    Ben

  2. Re: Linking with samba

    "Ben O'Brien" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Does anyone have any information on the state of links (hard links or
    > symlinks, or even silly Windows shortcuts) in Samba?
    >
    > More specifically I have a Windows 2003 share mounted on RHEL 3 and I'm
    > not allowed to create symlinks or hard links (or pipes probably, but
    > haven't tried). Is there a mechanism that I can set up that will give me
    > any kind of link functionality (i.e. refer to the same file using 2
    > different paths)?

    No. From years of hard experience, SMB has no concept of hard links or
    symlinks. Whether because it wasn't written into SMB, or whether SMB was
    written to run on top of Windows file systems that don't have those
    features, it won't work.

    > I know you can set up links on a samba share so that Windows can use
    > links, but as far as I can see Windows (at least WinXP) just overwrites
    > symlinks with files when you write to the links, totally breaking the
    > link. I image hardlinks would work fine, but I've not tried it.
    >
    > Ben

  3. Re: Linking with samba

    Yeah, after a little poke around, windows' dumb "shortcuts" are
    actually fairly sizeable files, and completely useless in any *nix
    filesystem, and *nix links are just flat out refused by smbfs.

  4. Re: Linking with samba

    "ftoomch" writes:
    >Yeah, after a little poke around, windows' dumb "shortcuts" are
    >actually fairly sizeable files,

    They're just a file with the name of another file in them, much like
    a Unix soft link, except the ...

    .... freaking application has to dereference them, rather than having
    the filesystem do it, like in a proper operating system. This is
    because they are a bletcherous bag bolted on the side of the festering
    heap of garbage that is Windows.

    Not sure what you mean by the second point, though. Soft links on my
    Unix servers in filesystems exported by Samba work transparently on the
    client PC.

    --
    "Other people are not your property."