linux box not accessible error in windows XP - SMB

This is a discussion on linux box not accessible error in windows XP - SMB ; i recently upgraded my server and installed fedora core 4, everything works good, i readded all the users. Samba is installed, since i was satisfied with my previous samba configurations i decided to copy the smb.conf files onto my new ...

  1. linux box not accessible error in windows XP

    i recently upgraded my server and installed fedora core 4, everything
    works good, i readded all the users. Samba is installed, since i was
    satisfied with my previous samba configurations i decided to copy the
    smb.conf files onto my new system. The smb service starts fine, however
    when it comes to connecting to the server on a winXP system, i am
    confronted with a "\\Server is not accessible" error. "Server" is the
    name of the machine. The computer shows up under 'net view' and in
    network places however i can't go further to see the shares.

    below is my smb.conf file

    #======================= Global Settings
    =====================================
    [global]

    # workgroup = NT-Domain-Name or Workgroup-Name
    workgroup = mshome

    # server string is the equivalent of the NT Description field
    server string = Samba Server

    # This option is important for security. It allows you to restrict
    # connections to machines which are on your local network. The
    # following example restricts access to two C class networks and
    # the "loopback" interface. For more examples of the syntax see
    # the smb.conf man page
    ; hosts allow = 192.168.0. 192.168.2. 127.

    # if you want to automatically load your printer list rather
    # than setting them up individually then you'll need this
    ; printcap name = /etc/printcap
    ; load printers = yes

    # It should not be necessary to spell out the print system type unless
    # yours is non-standard. Currently supported print systems include:
    # bsd, sysv, plp, lprng, aix, hpux, qnx
    ; printing = bsd

    # Uncomment this if you want a guest account, you must add this to
    /etc/passwd
    # otherwise the user "nobody" is used
    ; guest account = pcguest

    # this tells Samba to use a separate log file for each machine
    # that connects
    log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
    # all log information in one file
    # log file = /var/log/samba/smbd.log

    # Put a capping on the size of the log files (in Kb).
    max log size = 50

    # Security mode. Most people will want user level security. See
    # security_level.txt for details.
    # Use password server option only with security = server
    ; password server =

    # Password Level allows matching of _n_ characters of the password for
    # all combinations of upper and lower case.
    ; password level = 8
    ; username level = 8

    # You may wish to use password encryption. Please read
    # ENCRYPTION.txt, Win95.txt and WinNT.txt in the Samba documentation.
    # Do not enable this option unless you have read those documents
    ; encrypt passwords = yes
    ; smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd

    # The following are needed to allow password changing from Windows to
    # update the Linux system password also.
    # NOTE: Use these with 'encrypt passwords' and 'smb passwd file' above.
    # NOTE2: You do NOT need these to allow workstations to change only
    # the encrypted SMB passwords. They allow the Unix password
    # to be kept in sync with the SMB password.
    ; unix password sync = Yes
    ; passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
    ; passwd chat = *New*UNIX*password* %n\n *ReType*new*UNIX*password*
    %n\n *passwd:*all*authentication*tokens*updated*success fully*

    # Unix users can map to different SMB User names
    ; username map = /etc/samba/smbusers

    # Using the following line enables you to customise your configuration
    # on a per machine basis. The %m gets replaced with the netbios name
    # of the machine that is connecting
    ; include = /etc/samba/smb.conf.%m

    # Most people will find that this option gives better performance.
    # See speed.txt and the manual pages for details

    # Configure Samba to use multiple interfaces
    # If you have multiple network interfaces then you must list them
    # here. See the man page for details.
    ; interfaces = 192.168.12.2/24 192.168.13.2/24

    # Configure remote browse list synchronisation here
    # request announcement to, or browse list sync from:
    # a specific host or from / to a whole subnet (see below)
    ; remote browse sync = 192.168.3.25 192.168.5.255
    # Cause this host to announce itself to local subnets here
    ; remote announce = 192.168.1.255 192.168.2.44

    # Browser Control Options:
    # set local master to no if you don't want Samba to become a master
    # browser on your network. Otherwise the normal election rules apply
    ; local master = no

    # OS Level determines the precedence of this server in master browser
    # elections. The default value should be reasonable
    ; os level = 33

    # Domain Master specifies Samba to be the Domain Master Browser. This
    # allows Samba to collate browse lists between subnets. Don't use this
    # if you already have a Windows NT domain controller doing this job
    ; domain master = yes

    # Preferred Master causes Samba to force a local browser election on
    startup
    # and gives it a slightly higher chance of winning the election
    ; preferred master = yes

    # Enable this if you want Samba to be a domain logon server for
    # Windows95 workstations.
    ; domain logons = yes

    # if you enable domain logons then you may want a per-machine or
    # per user logon script
    # run a specific logon batch file per workstation (machine)
    ; logon script = %m.bat
    # run a specific logon batch file per username
    ; logon script = %U.bat

    # Where to store roving profiles (only for Win95 and WinNT)
    # %L substitutes for this servers netbios name, %U is username
    # You must uncomment the [Profiles] share below
    logon path = \\%L\%U\profile\

    # All NetBIOS names must be resolved to IP Addresses
    # 'Name Resolve Order' allows the named resolution mechanism to be
    specified
    # the default order is "host lmhosts wins bcast". "host" means use the
    unix
    # system gethostbyname() function call that will use either /etc/hosts
    OR
    # DNS or NIS depending on the settings of /etc/host.config,
    /etc/nsswitch.conf
    # and the /etc/resolv.conf file. "host" therefore is system
    configuration
    # dependant. This parameter is most often of use to prevent DNS lookups
    # in order to resolve NetBIOS names to IP Addresses. Use with care!
    # The example below excludes use of name resolution for machines that
    are NOT
    # on the local network segment
    # - OR - are not deliberately to be known via lmhosts or via WINS.
    ; name resolve order = wins lmhosts bcast

    # Windows Internet Name Serving Support Section:
    # WINS Support - Tells the NMBD component of Samba to enable it's WINS
    Server
    ; wins support = yes

    # WINS Server - Tells the NMBD components of Samba to be a WINS Client
    # Note: Samba can be either a WINS Server, or a WINS Client, but
    NOT both
    ; wins server = w.x.y.z

    # WINS Proxy - Tells Samba to answer name resolution queries on
    # behalf of a non WINS capable client, for this to work there must be
    # at least one WINS Server on the network. The default is NO.
    ; wins proxy = yes

    # DNS Proxy - tells Samba whether or not to try to resolve NetBIOS
    names
    # via DNS nslookups. The built-in default for versions 1.9.17 is yes,
    # this has been changed in version 1.9.18 to no.
    dns proxy = no

    # Case Preservation can be handy - system default is _no_
    # NOTE: These can be set on a per share basis
    ; preserve case = no
    ; short preserve case = no
    # Default case is normally upper case for all DOS files
    ; default case = lower
    # Be very careful with case sensitivity - it can break things!
    ; case sensitive = no

    ==============================
    idmap uid = 16777216-33554431
    idmap gid = 16777216-33554431
    template shell = /bin/false
    password server = None
    username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
    winbind use default domain = no
    security = users
    [homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    browseable = no
    writeable = yes

    # Un-comment the following and create the netlogon directory for Domain
    Logons
    ; [netlogon]
    ; comment = Network Logon Service
    ; path = /home/netlogon
    ; guest ok = yes
    ; writable = no
    ; share modes = no

    # Un-comment the following to provide a specific roving profile share
    # the default is to use the user's home directory
    [Profiles]
    path = /home/profiles
    browseable = no
    guest ok = yes

    # NOTE: If you have a BSD-style print system there is no need to
    # specifically define each individual printer
    #
    #[printers]
    # comment = All Printers
    # path = /var/spool/samba
    # browseable = no
    # Set public = yes to allow user 'guest account' to print
    # printable = yes

    # This one is useful for people to share files
    [tmp]
    comment = Temporary file space
    path = /tmp
    read only = no
    public = yes

    # A publicly accessible directory, but read only, except for people in
    # the "staff" group
    ;[public]
    ; comment = Public Stuff
    ; path = /home/samba
    ; public = yes
    ; read only = yes
    ; write list = @staff

    # Other examples.
    #
    # A private printer, usable only by fred. Spool data will be placed in
    fred's
    # home directory. Note that fred must have write access to the spool
    directory,
    # wherever it is.
    ;[fredsprn]
    ; comment = Fred's Printer
    ; valid users = fred
    ; path = /homes/fred
    ; printer = freds_printer
    ; public = no
    ; writable = no
    ; printable = yes

    # A private directory, usable only by fred. Note that fred requires
    write
    # access to the directory.
    ;[fredsdir]
    ; comment = Fred's Service
    ; path = /usr/somewhere/private
    ; valid users = fred
    ; public = no
    ; writable = yes
    ; printable = no

    # a service which has a different directory for each machine that
    connects
    # this allows you to tailor configurations to incoming machines. You
    could
    # also use the %u option to tailor it by user name.
    # The %m gets replaced with the machine name that is connecting.
    ;[pchome]
    ; comment = PC Directories
    ; path = /usr/pc/%m
    ; public = no
    ; writable = yes

    # A publicly accessible directory, read/write to all users. Note that
    all files
    # created in the directory by users will be owned by the default user,
    so
    # any user with access can delete any other user's files. Obviously
    this
    # directory must be writable by the default user. Another user could of
    course
    # be specified, in which case all files would be owned by that user
    instead.
    ;[public]
    ; path = /usr/somewhere/else/public
    ; public = yes
    ; only guest = yes
    ; writable = yes
    ; printable = no

    # The following two entries demonstrate how to share a directory so
    that two
    # users can place files there that will be owned by the specific users.
    In this
    # setup, the directory should be writable by both users and should have
    the
    # sticky bit set on it to prevent abuse. Obviously this could be
    extended to
    # as many users as required.
    ;[myshare]
    ; comment = Mary's and Fred's stuff
    ; path = /usr/somewhere/shared
    ; valid users = mary fred
    ; public = no
    ; writable = yes
    ; printable = no
    ; create mask = 0765

    [Movies]
    comment = Various Movies
    path = /media/movies
    writeable = yes
    guest ok = yes
    [Music]
    comment = various Music
    path = /media/music
    writeable = yes
    guest ok = yes

    [apache]
    comment = Apache webspace
    path = /var/www/
    writeable = yes
    valid users = avi, walid

    [downloading]
    comment = files currently bein downloaded
    path = /mnt/sdd1/downloading
    writeable = yes
    guest ok = yes

  2. Re: linux box not accessible error in windows XP

    It's probably your firewall on the XP computer.
    Either turn off the firewall or open up it's trust zone for the \\Server IP.

    Thanks!
    `,, John Raff `,,`
    john@jraff.com, www.jraff.com, www.raff.ws

    wrote in message
    news:1125956184.430162.283550@g43g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    > i recently upgraded my server and installed fedora core 4, everything
    > works good, i readded all the users. Samba is installed, since i was
    > satisfied with my previous samba configurations i decided to copy the
    > smb.conf files onto my new system. The smb service starts fine, however
    > when it comes to connecting to the server on a winXP system, i am
    > confronted with a "\\Server is not accessible" error. "Server" is the
    > name of the machine. The computer shows up under 'net view' and in
    > network places however i can't go further to see the shares.

+ Reply to Thread