Cannot change samba password: "Error was : RAP86: The specified password is invalid." - SMB

This is a discussion on Cannot change samba password: "Error was : RAP86: The specified password is invalid." - SMB ; Hi! For some reason unknown to me, I'm completely unable to change my Samba password using smbpasswd. I always get: [19:57:36 alexander@server:~] $ smbpasswd Old SMB password: New SMB password: Retype new SMB password: machine 127.0.0.1 rejected the password change: ...

  1. Cannot change samba password: "Error was : RAP86: The specified password is invalid."

    Hi!

    For some reason unknown to me, I'm completely unable to change
    my Samba password using smbpasswd. I always get:

    [19:57:36 alexander@server:~] $ smbpasswd
    Old SMB password:
    New SMB password:
    Retype new SMB password:
    machine 127.0.0.1 rejected the password change: Error was : RAP86: The specified password is invalid.
    Failed to change password for alexander

    Despite the error message, I'm sure that the specifid
    password *is* valid - I copy'n'pasted it and thus cannot
    have a typo.

    Why is the system nonetheless telling me, that the password
    is wrong?

    Thanks a lot,
    Alexander

    [20:11:49 alexander@server:~] $ testparm -V
    Version 3.0.20
    [20:11:51 alexander@server:~] $ uname -a
    Linux server 2.6.12-ck6.014.reiser4.nfsv4.inotify.no-posix.bsd #1 Mon Aug 22 21:08:17 CEST 2005 i686 AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2000+ AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux

    [20:05:03 alexander@server:/etc/samba] $ testparm
    Processing section "[homes]"
    Processing section "[printers]"
    Processing section "[pdf-drucker]"
    Processing section "[Server]"
    Loaded services file OK.
    Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE

    [global]
    workgroup = EUROPE
    server string = Samba Server %v auf %h
    interfaces = eth1, lo
    bind interfaces only = Yes
    security = SHARE
    map to guest = Bad User
    username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
    unix password sync = Yes
    log level = 1 passdb:3 auth:3 winbind:2
    log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
    max log size = 1024
    socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192 SO_RCVBUF=8192 IPTOS_LOWDELAY
    printcap name = /etc/samba/printcap
    ldap ssl = no
    printing = bsd
    print command = lpr -r -P'%p' %s
    lpq command = lpq -P'%p'
    lprm command = lprm -P'%p' %j

    [homes]
    comment = Private Verzeichnisse
    read only = No
    browseable = No

    [printers]
    comment = Alle Drucker
    path = /var/spool/samba
    create mask = 0700
    guest ok = Yes
    printable = Yes
    browseable = No

    [pdf-drucker]
    comment = PDF Drucker
    path = /var/tmp
    create mask = 0700
    printable = Yes
    print command = /etc/samba/print-pdf %s ~%u/PDF-Prints //%L/%u/PDF-Prints %m %I "%J" &

    [Server]
    comment = Verzeichnisse auf dem Server
    path = /Shares
    read only = No
    volume = Shares für Windows
    fstype = Samba
    fake directory create times = Yes

    testparm -vs output available at http://stuff.alexander.skwar.name/sa...stparm_-vs.txt
    Log at http://stuff.alexander.skwar.name/sa.../log.127.0.0.1
    smbpasswd -D 10 output at http://stuff.alexander.skwar.name/sa..._10_output.txt

    Alexander Skwar

    PS: Crosspost comp.os.linux.misc,comp.protocols.smb
    Followup-To comp.protocols.smb

  2. Re: Cannot change samba password: "Error was : RAP86: The specified password is invalid."

    Hi!

    · Alexander Skwar :

    > Why is the system nonetheless telling me, that the password
    > is wrong?

    Because of:

    > unix password sync = Yes

    I don't have those passwords in sync - on purpose.

    Alexander Skwar

  3. Re: Cannot change samba password: "Error was : RAP86: The specified password is invalid."

    On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 20:17:39 +0200, Alexander Skwar wrote:

    > Hi!
    >
    > For some reason unknown to me, I'm completely unable to change
    > my Samba password using smbpasswd. I always get:
    >
    > [19:57:36 alexander@server:~] $ smbpasswd
    > Old SMB password:
    > New SMB password:
    > Retype new SMB password:
    > machine 127.0.0.1 rejected the password change: Error was : RAP86: The specified password is invalid.
    > Failed to change password for alexander
    >
    > Despite the error message, I'm sure that the specifid
    > password *is* valid - I copy'n'pasted it and thus cannot
    > have a typo.
    >
    > Why is the system nonetheless telling me, that the password
    > is wrong?

    I don't know much about smbpasswd, but I'll stick my neck out with a
    suggestion or two since there are no other replies.

    Could it be that its rejecting the new password instead of saying that the
    old one is bad? Depending on your configuration, there may be
    restrictions on passwords enforced by a pam module or some other service.

    I would also ask what you copied and pasted from. As far as I know, the
    password should not be stored in plaintext anywhere for you to copy from.

+ Reply to Thread