Samba with NT Domain vs DNS name - SMB

This is a discussion on Samba with NT Domain vs DNS name - SMB ; Please forgive newness here. Have accepted job as network administrator coming from a helpdesk type position. One task in front of me is upgrading an NT domain. I want to use Samba to replace it, and have been reading the ...

  1. Samba with NT Domain vs DNS name

    Please forgive newness here. Have accepted job as network administrator
    coming from a helpdesk type position. One task in front of me is upgrading
    an NT domain. I want to use Samba to replace it, and have been reading the
    Howto, FAQ's etc.

    The current NT domain is a singularly named "WMHS" left over from before
    organization got a dedicated Internet connection. Now they have a dedicated
    connection and their own domain name, let's say "wmcare.org", but it is not
    used inside the internal network (NAT inside a firewall); it is simply for
    email addresses hosted at our ISP.

    My question is:

    Assume I move to a Samba PDC to replace NT PDC and start using LDAP. LDAP
    requires "real" DNS server internally. How does this affect users who have
    Win2k/XP and Control Panel->System->Domain->"WMHS" entries? Will those have
    to be modified as well to "wmcare.org" and reflect what new Samba server
    uses? Or can they be left as "WMHS".

    I guess my question really is must the domain that Samba uses be the same as
    what the DNS entry is?

    Thank you for replies.
    Ric Feris

  2. Re: Samba with NT Domain vs DNS name

    Some suggested reading;
    ---
    The Unofficial Samba HOWTO
    http://hr.uoregon.edu/davidrl/samba.html

    The Official Samba-3 HOWTO and Reference Guide
    http://us2.samba.org/samba/docs/man/...TO-Collection/

    Chapter 37. The Samba ChecklistPrev Part V. Troubleshooting
    http://us2.samba.org/samba/docs/man/...diagnosis.html

    Using Samba, 2nd Edition
    http://us2.samba.org/samba/docs/man/...samba/toc.html

    Thanks!
    `,, John Raff `,,`
    john@jraff.com, www.jraff.com, www.raff.ws

    "Feris" wrote in message
    > Please forgive newness here. Have accepted job as network administrator
    > coming from a helpdesk type position. One task in front of me is

    upgrading
    > an NT domain. I want to use Samba to replace it, and have been reading

    the
    > Howto, FAQ's etc.
    >
    > The current NT domain is a singularly named "WMHS" left over from before
    > organization got a dedicated Internet connection. Now they have a

    dedicated
    > connection and their own domain name, let's say "wmcare.org", but it is

    not
    > used inside the internal network (NAT inside a firewall); it is simply for
    > email addresses hosted at our ISP.
    >
    > My question is:
    >
    > Assume I move to a Samba PDC to replace NT PDC and start using LDAP. LDAP
    > requires "real" DNS server internally. How does this affect users who

    have
    > Win2k/XP and Control Panel->System->Domain->"WMHS" entries? Will those

    have
    > to be modified as well to "wmcare.org" and reflect what new Samba server
    > uses? Or can they be left as "WMHS".
    >
    > I guess my question really is must the domain that Samba uses be the same

    as
    > what the DNS entry is?
    >
    > Thank you for replies.
    > Ric Feris