Error on ldap library when setting up Samba on Solaris 10 - SMB

This is a discussion on Error on ldap library when setting up Samba on Solaris 10 - SMB ; Greetings: I have installed Samba 3.0.13 on a Solaris 10 (3/05 build) server with the following options: ../configure \ --with-acl-support \ --with-configdir=/etc/samba \ --with-lockdir=/var/lock \ --with-logfilebase=/var/log \ --with-pam \ --with-piddir=/var/run \ --with-privatedir=/etc/samba/private \ --with-syslog \ --with-winbind \ --prefix=/usr/local/samba \ --localstatedir=/var ...

  1. Error on ldap library when setting up Samba on Solaris 10

    Greetings:

    I have installed Samba 3.0.13 on a Solaris 10 (3/05 build) server with
    the following options:

    ../configure \
    --with-acl-support \
    --with-configdir=/etc/samba \
    --with-lockdir=/var/lock \
    --with-logfilebase=/var/log \
    --with-pam \
    --with-piddir=/var/run \
    --with-privatedir=/etc/samba/private \
    --with-syslog \
    --with-winbind \
    --prefix=/usr/local/samba \
    --localstatedir=/var

    Unfortunately, when I attempt to join to a domain I get an error:

    =====
    [root@sol10]:/>/usr/local/samba/bin/net rpc join -S PDC1 -U
    Administrator

    ld.so.1: /usr/local/samba/bin/net: fatal: libldap-2.2.so.7: open
    failed: No such file or directory
    Killed
    =====

    I checked for kerboros and ldap installed packages. pkginfo shows the
    following are installed:

    system SFWoldap openldap - Open source
    Lightweight Directory Access Protocol
    system SUNWlldap LDAP Libraries

    system SUNWkrbr Kerberos version 5 support
    (Root)
    system SUNWkrbu Kerberos version 5 support
    (Usr)

    I haven't encountered this on any Sol 9 installations. I would be
    interested if anyone has encountered this condition, or might know the
    cause or resolution of it.

    thanks much,
    -Jeff

  2. Re: Error on ldap library when setting up Samba on Solaris 10

    wrote in message
    news:1123871248.493807.33610@z14g2000cwz.googlegro ups.com...
    > Greetings:
    >
    > I have installed Samba 3.0.13 on a Solaris 10 (3/05 build) server with
    > the following options:
    >
    > ./configure \
    > --with-acl-support \
    > --with-configdir=/etc/samba \
    > --with-lockdir=/var/lock \
    > --with-logfilebase=/var/log \
    > --with-pam \
    > --with-piddir=/var/run \
    > --with-privatedir=/etc/samba/private \
    > --with-syslog \
    > --with-winbind \
    > --prefix=/usr/local/samba \
    > --localstatedir=/var
    >
    > Unfortunately, when I attempt to join to a domain I get an error:
    >
    > =====
    > [root@sol10]:/>/usr/local/samba/bin/net rpc join -S PDC1 -U
    > Administrator
    >
    > ld.so.1: /usr/local/samba/bin/net: fatal: libldap-2.2.so.7: open
    > failed: No such file or directory
    > Killed
    > =====

    Slow down: the command :"ldd /usr/local/samba/bin/net" should tell you where
    it is finding ldap libraries, and checkng the binary for the "net" command
    where you compile it and before you install it should tell you where it
    thought it compiled it then.

    In particular, look at the actual compilation and what the "make" process
    reports as happening. And if you compiled as a local user, wich a
    LD_LIBRARY_PATH set, remember that running such commands as root will not
    use LD_LIBRARY_PATH. for security reasons.

    > I checked for kerboros and ldap installed packages. pkginfo shows the
    > following are installed:
    >
    > system SFWoldap openldap - Open source
    > Lightweight Directory Access Protocol
    > system SUNWlldap LDAP Libraries

    Yes, but where are the libraries actually installed?

    > I haven't encountered this on any Sol 9 installations. I would be
    > interested if anyone has encountered this condition, or might know the
    > cause or resolution of it.

    I haven't played with Solaris 10 yet, but on Sun boxes I almost always wound
    up compiling a lot of open source libraries myself locally, which would put
    them in /usr/local/lib/.

  3. Re: Error on ldap library when setting up Samba on Solaris 10

    I performed the following to resolve the problem:

    Confirmed that the libraries were indeed not found:

    ldd /usr/local/samba/bin/net

    I located the missing libraries in:

    /opt/sfw/lib

    and copied them to /lib