OSX to WinXP connection problem - SMB

This is a discussion on OSX to WinXP connection problem - SMB ; I have a G4 running Panther (10.3.8) and a PC running XP. They are connected to eachother and to the internet through a Linksys router. Both computers are able to access the internet just fine and the PC is able ...

  1. OSX to WinXP connection problem

    I have a G4 running Panther (10.3.8) and a PC running XP. They are
    connected to eachother and to the internet through a Linksys router.
    Both computers are able to access the internet just fine and the PC is
    able to access the mac shares. The PC however, is nearly invisible to
    the mac (the nearly part is discussed below). I have read through
    numerous posts on this and have found nothing that helps.

    While the PC can connect to the mac with no problem, I can't even ping
    the PC from the mac, much less access shares. There is one exception
    to this however, that leaves me scratching my head... The PC has Apache
    and PHP installed, and if I put the PC's local IP address into a
    browser on the mac, I can hit the web server just fine!!

    I've got all of the file sharing options turned on on both sides and
    have completely disabled the windows firewall all to no avail. Please
    help....ANYONE???

  2. Re: OSX to WinXP connection problem

    There could be a few things going on here...

    I'm not sure how you've been trying to connect to the PC, so forgive me
    if you already know this... From the Finder, go to the Go menu and
    select Connect to Server. In the server address field type in the
    smb://YourPCsIPaddress/YourPCsSharedFolder
    SMB (Server Message Block) is the standard windows protocol for
    networking.

    The other most common problem is that the PC's firewall is blocking the
    Mac's access to your computer. The firewall thinks the Mac is an
    intruder. Because there are a million-zillion different kinds of
    Firewalls for PC's I couldn't beging to tell you how to fix it but this
    will give you a place to start anyway.

    That's all I can think of right now...

+ Reply to Thread