oplocks = no - SMB

This is a discussion on oplocks = no - SMB ; Several Samba books recommend setting oplocks = no in [global] section of smb.conf. Our samba (v 3.0.1) server is working well, but the above setting is supposed to give additional protection against data corruption. Whe the above is inserted in ...

  1. oplocks = no

    Several Samba books recommend setting oplocks = no in [global] section of
    smb.conf. Our samba (v 3.0.1) server is working well, but the above setting
    is supposed to give additional protection against data corruption.

    Whe the above is inserted in smb.conf, testparm complains " Level II
    oplocks can only be set if oplocks are set.

    Any suggestions will be appreciated.

    Joe

  2. Re: oplocks = no

    Firstly, how old are those books?
    Oplocks used to be a very dynamic area with new fixes coming in all the
    time. I do not know what the situation is now but it should have
    improved. You could always trawl the history in this newsgroup for
    details of oplock problems.

    The second one is obvious, the parameter 'level2 oplocks' (not 'level
    II oplocks') defaults to 'yes' so if you turn oplocks off, you either
    turn level2 oplocks off as well or ignore that message.

  3. Re: oplocks = no

    Joe Hollander wrote:

    > Several Samba books recommend setting oplocks = no in [global] section of
    > smb.conf. Our samba (v 3.0.1) server is working well, but the above
    > setting is supposed to give additional protection against data corruption.

    You only want oplocks off for files accessed by many clients at the same
    time, which also need to be r/w, especially for database files, or when you
    have frequent network interruptions.

    > Whe the above is inserted in smb.conf, testparm complains " Level II
    > oplocks can only be set if oplocks are set.

    level 2 oplocks = no

    Take a look at smb.conf manpage.
    *to*remove*offending*incompatible*products.**React ivate*MS*software.
    Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.11-mm4[LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

+ Reply to Thread