Is Samba Encrypting passwords? - SMB

This is a discussion on Is Samba Encrypting passwords? - SMB ; How do I know if Samba is encrypting user credentials. I am running Samba v1.3 that authenticates to a Windows 2003 domain controller. Are the login credentials encrypted from the client to the Samba server? And are they also encrypted ...

  1. Is Samba Encrypting passwords?

    How do I know if Samba is encrypting user credentials. I am running
    Samba v1.3 that authenticates to a Windows 2003 domain controller.

    Are the login credentials encrypted from the client to the Samba
    server? And are they also encrypted from the samba server to the
    Windows domain controller?

    Is there a way I can verify this? any documentation that anyone knows
    about?

    thanks for any help!!

  2. Re: Is Samba Encrypting passwords?

    I don't know about samba v1, but with v2 and v3, the /etc/samba/smb.conf
    file should have a line : encrypt passwords = yes

    Hope it helps

    Joe
    "csag" wrote in message
    news:1112982816.980290.90560@l41g2000cwc.googlegro ups.com...
    > How do I know if Samba is encrypting user credentials. I am running
    > Samba v1.3 that authenticates to a Windows 2003 domain controller.
    >
    > Are the login credentials encrypted from the client to the Samba
    > server? And are they also encrypted from the samba server to the
    > Windows domain controller?
    >
    > Is there a way I can verify this? any documentation that anyone knows
    > about?
    >
    > thanks for any help!!

+ Reply to Thread