Solaris 10 Samba printing? - SMB

This is a discussion on Solaris 10 Samba printing? - SMB ; I have an HP LJ 4050 TN hooked to the parallel port of my Solaris 10 host. I am using the Samba that comes as part of the S10 OS. My "printers" section looks like this: [printers] comment = All ...

  1. Solaris 10 Samba printing?

    I have an HP LJ 4050 TN hooked to the parallel port of my Solaris 10
    host. I am using the Samba that comes as part of the S10 OS. My
    "printers" section looks like this:

    [printers]
    comment = All Printers
    path = /var/spool/samba
    create mask = 0700
    public = yes
    guest ok = yes
    guest only = yes
    print ok = yes
    browseable = yes
    writable = no
    printable = yes
    -> print command = /usr/bin/lp -d %p -o nobanner -o nofilebreak %s
    -> lpq command = /usr/bin/lpstat -o %p
    -> lprm command = /usr/bin/cancel %p-%j
    available = yes

    [The problem manifests itself whether the three marked lines are
    commented out or not.]

    When I print to the printer from the Solaris host, everything works
    great. When I print via Samba from a Windows host, I get pages and
    pages of PCL/Postscript code:

    ^[%-12345XPJL JOB
    @PJL SET RESOLUTION = 600
    @PJL SET BITSPERPIXEL=2
    @PJL SET ECONOMODE = OFF
    @PJL ENTER LANGUAGE = POSTSCRIPT
    %!PS-Adobe-3.0
    %%Title: Test Page

    [... etc.]

    Is there something I should be doing in my Samba (or, for that matter,
    Windows) setup to suppress the PJL lines, or get them to interpret
    correctly? I've tried every combination I can think of.
    --
    _+_ From the catapult of |If anyone disagrees with any statement I make, I
    _|70|___=}- J.D. Baldwin |am quite prepared not only to retract it, but also

  2. Re: Solaris 10 Samba printing?

    INVALID_SEE_SIG@example.com.invalid (J.D. Baldwin) wrote in news:d2cldj$7vj
    $1@reader1.panix.com:

    > When I print to the printer from the Solaris host, everything works
    > great. When I print via Samba from a Windows host, I get pages and
    > pages of PCL/Postscript code:
    >
    > ^[%-12345XPJL JOB
    > @PJL SET RESOLUTION = 600
    > @PJL SET BITSPERPIXEL=2
    > @PJL SET ECONOMODE = OFF
    > @PJL ENTER LANGUAGE = POSTSCRIPT
    > %!PS-Adobe-3.0
    > %%Title: Test Page
    >
    > [... etc.]

    Hello,
    some print systems do automatic print filtering. Some print systems
    on UNIX systems expect to receive either PostScript or plain text.
    Simple systems only check the print jobs first line. If there
    is a "%!PS" at the beginning of this line the printjob is passed
    through, otherwise a text-to-PS filter is run. Instead of passing
    through the PCL-and-PS combination it is converted into PostScript
    showing the PCL-and-PS code.
    I think you have the following choices:
    - Disable the file type recognition and automatic filtering in your
    print system, pass every printjob through "as is".
    Maybe this can be done using options in the lp command, but I did
    not find such an option in the Solaris docu.
    If I remember correctly, the admintool on Solaris 2.6 allowed
    to set the printer type to "raw". If this is still available in
    Solaris 10, try that.
    - Edit the PPD files for your printer model on all Windows boxes
    so it does not create the PCL headers and footers. But this is not
    a good idea, you have to visit all your clients. Windows/driver
    updates may re-install PPDs producing PCL code. Removing PCL code
    will also remove the usability of some driver options. I would not
    recommend this.
    - Switch to another print system (I use LPRng) and configure the
    default print job type to literally/binary. This allows to use
    the PCL driver on the Windows clients.
    In some cases the PCL driver gives more control over the print
    job (for our HPLJ2200DN PCL allows duplex printing,
    2 pages per sheet, 4 pages per sheet...).
    Hope this helps.

    Regards,

    Dirk

    --
    Dirk Krause, Pfaffengasse 37, 98574 Schmalkalden
    Bitte benutzen Sie nicht die Adressen im "From:" bzw. "Reply-To:"-Header

  3. Re: Solaris 10 Samba printing?

    In the previous article, Dirk Krause wrote:
    > Hello,
    > some print systems do automatic print filtering. Some print systems
    > on UNIX systems expect to receive either PostScript or plain text.
    > Simple systems only check the print jobs first line. If there
    > is a "%!PS" at the beginning of this line the printjob is passed
    > through, otherwise a text-to-PS filter is run. Instead of passing
    > through the PCL-and-PS combination it is converted into PostScript
    > showing the PCL-and-PS code.
    > I think you have the following choices:
    > - Disable the file type recognition and automatic filtering in your
    > print system, pass every printjob through "as is".
    > Maybe this can be done using options in the lp command, but I did
    > not find such an option in the Solaris docu.
    > If I remember correctly, the admintool on Solaris 2.6 allowed
    > to set the printer type to "raw". If this is still available in
    > Solaris 10, try that.

    I had tried this one. admintool is gone in S10 and "-o raw" passed to
    lpadmin doesn't seem to be recognized.

    > - Edit the PPD files for your printer model on all Windows boxes
    > so it does not create the PCL headers and footers. But this is not
    > a good idea, you have to visit all your clients.

    I'd like this to be universal but I can live with it working only on a
    couple of clients; I will look into this option.

    > - Switch to another print system (I use LPRng) and configure the
    > default print job type to literally/binary. This allows to use
    > the PCL driver on the Windows clients.
    > In some cases the PCL driver gives more control over the print
    > job (for our HPLJ2200DN PCL allows duplex printing,
    > 2 pages per sheet, 4 pages per sheet...).
    > Hope this helps.

    I will look into this also, thank you.
    --
    _+_ From the catapult of |If anyone disagrees with any statement I make, I
    _|70|___=}- J.D. Baldwin |am quite prepared not only to retract it, but also
    \ / baldwin@panix.com|to deny under oath that I ever made it. -T. Lehrer

  4. Re: Solaris 10 Samba printing?

    INVALID_SEE_SIG@example.com.invalid (J.D. Baldwin) wrote in news:d2eb3v
    $aif$1@reader1.panix.com:

    >> - Edit the PPD files for your printer model on all Windows boxes
    >> so it does not create the PCL headers and footers. But this is not
    >> a good idea, you have to visit all your clients.

    > I'd like this to be universal but I can live with it working only on a
    > couple of clients; I will look into this option.

    Hello,
    just another idea: Adobe provides a generic PostScript printer driver,
    it is a free download. As this printer driver is not specialized
    to one printer model I would expect it not to add leading and
    trailing PCL. So there is no need to change PPD files and no risk
    of loosing these changes when doing Windows- or driver updates.

    Regards and a nice weekend,

    Dirk

    --
    Dirk Krause, Pfaffengasse 37, 98574 Schmalkalden
    Bitte benutzen Sie nicht die Adressen im "From:" bzw. "Reply-To:"-Header
    um mir E-Mail zu senden, verwenden Sie stattdessen das u.a. Web-Formular.
    Please do not use the addresses in the "From:"- or "Reply-To:" fields
    for e-mail, use the web contact form below to send an e-mail to me.
    http://www.fh-schmalkalden.de/url.ph...lect_wert/3023

+ Reply to Thread