De-mytifying Net Send - SMB

This is a discussion on De-mytifying Net Send - SMB ; Hello Everyone, I am writing a net send client for windows with Java. Its not as simple as it sounds... Ive been looking around for anything that can put some sense into the way the windows 'net send' command works. ...

  1. De-mytifying Net Send

    Hello Everyone,

    I am writing a net send client for windows with Java. Its not as simple
    as it sounds...

    Ive been looking around for anything that can put some sense into the
    way the windows 'net send' command works. You can easily enough send a
    net send by writing into the correct mailslot, but in XP I think this
    is only possible because of , backward compatibility. The actual 'net
    send' command is supposed to use NetBIOS calls. There seems to be no
    documentation on this. (I havent found any)

    What I want to do is
    (1) Send a net send through a NetBIOS call.
    (2) Replace the existing windows messenger service with a listening
    service of my own that can recieve such calls.

    Is this possible? If so how? Are there any resourses online that
    actually tells us how Net Send works? Does JCIFS have any support for
    this?

    Thanks!

  2. Re: De-mytifying Net Send

    If you are going to write your own listener, why use NetBIOS calls?

    --
    Steven BerkHolz
    Send to Domain TESCOGroup dot com, username SB

    Note: you may also want to know that you should never send mail to:
    blacklist-my-ip@admins.ws
    info@dautrap.uceprotect.net
    listme@sorbs.net
    spamtrap@sandes.dk
    spamtrap@stop.mail-abuse.org
    spamtrap@frankenbiker.de
    spamtrap@blars.org
    "Mongoose" wrote in message
    news:1111035418.951490.256830@g14g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    > Hello Everyone,
    >
    > I am writing a net send client for windows with Java. Its not as simple
    > as it sounds...
    >
    > Ive been looking around for anything that can put some sense into the
    > way the windows 'net send' command works. You can easily enough send a
    > net send by writing into the correct mailslot, but in XP I think this
    > is only possible because of , backward compatibility. The actual 'net
    > send' command is supposed to use NetBIOS calls. There seems to be no
    > documentation on this. (I havent found any)
    >
    > What I want to do is
    > (1) Send a net send through a NetBIOS call.
    > (2) Replace the existing windows messenger service with a listening
    > service of my own that can recieve such calls.
    >
    > Is this possible? If so how? Are there any resourses online that
    > actually tells us how Net Send works? Does JCIFS have any support for
    > this?
    >
    > Thanks!

  3. Re: De-mytifying Net Send

    Good question! The point is I want it to interface seamlesly with the
    standard net send behaviour. You should be able to send from machine
    A's command prompt 'net send' to machine B's non standard listener. IE
    they should implement the same common standard. The problem is there is
    very little or no documentation on the standard.

+ Reply to Thread