Samba to access Windows - SMB

This is a discussion on Samba to access Windows - SMB ; Hi I would like information on how to make my solaris9 to access windows. I have windows 2000 advance server. I dont want to make my samba a pdc etc Right now when I go through my workstation I can ...

  1. Samba to access Windows

    Hi

    I would like information on how to make my solaris9 to access windows.

    I have windows 2000 advance server.
    I dont want to make my samba a pdc etc

    Right now when I go through my workstation I can see the solaris9 with
    samba 3.0.10 on the network.
    My smb.conf(it was created using swat) shows below:
    [global]
    workgroup= my domain
    security = DOMAIn
    log file = /va/log/samba/log.DELL4
    wins server = myip

    [homes]
    read only = No
    [share]
    comment = solaris share
    path = /home/
    read only = No
    -my smb.conf file is in /usr/local/samba/lib --

    Thanks in Advance
    Joe

  2. Re: Samba to access Windows

    "Joe" wrote in message
    news:1110468462.919635.244620@g14g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    > Hi
    >
    > I would like information on how to make my solaris9 to access windows.
    >
    > I have windows 2000 advance server.
    > I dont want to make my samba a pdc etc
    >
    > Right now when I go through my workstation I can see the solaris9 with
    > samba 3.0.10 on the network.
    > My smb.conf(it was created using swat) shows below:
    > [global]
    > workgroup= my domain

    If that is a space in the workgroup name, I don't think it will work.

    > security = DOMAIn
    > log file = /va/log/samba/log.DELL4
    > wins server = myip
    >
    > [homes]
    > read only = No
    > [share]
    > comment = solaris share
    > path = /home/
    > read only = No
    > -my smb.conf file is in /usr/local/samba/lib --
    >
    > Thanks in Advance
    > Joe

    Did you join the Samba system to the Windows domain ?

    #net join -U administrator

    You will have to know the Windows domain administrator's password.

  3. Re: Samba to access Windows

    Yes, its join the domain.
    I can see it using my windows xp.

  4. Re: Samba to access Windows

    Actually there is no space--
    I did it as described at: http://www.kempston.net/solaris/samba.html
    and added [share]

    I have a file server : example server1.mydomain.com
    I have h, i, k j maped drives(shared folder)
    Is it possible to mount like h from server1 on to solaris 9?

    I tested it out the other day; only think i want able to do is browse
    the windows network-- primary goal is to retrive dumps from samba and
    move to dump shared folder on server 1

    Thanks
    Joe

  5. Re: Samba to access Windows

    "Joe" wrote in message
    news:1110918367.927849.275170@f14g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com...
    > Actually there is no space--
    > I did it as described at: http://www.kempston.net/solaris/samba.html
    > and added [share]
    >
    > I have a file server : example server1.mydomain.com
    > I have h, i, k j maped drives(shared folder)
    > Is it possible to mount like h from server1 on to solaris 9?
    >
    > I tested it out the other day; only think i want able to do is browse
    > the windows network-- primary goal is to retrive dumps from samba and
    > move to dump shared folder on server 1

    This is what I understand. You can browse the Samba (Solaris) host from a
    Windows host and have mapped drive letters to shares on the Samba host. But
    you want to be able to mount shares on the Windows host from Solaris ? Is
    that correct ?

  6. Re: Samba to access Windows

    > This is what I understand. You can browse the Samba (Solaris) host

    from a
    > Windows host and have mapped drive letters to shares on the Samba

    host. But
    > you want to be able to mount shares on the Windows host from Solaris

    ? Is
    > that correct ?

    Yes I can browse solaris folders from my xp machine(that is connected
    to my domain)[solairs is connected to the domain too]
    I want Solaris to browse my windows--ant windows machine on the network
    I have a fileserver. When I log in as myself my netlog.bat runs a
    series of commands that maps shared drive.
    I wants solaris to be able to access the file server

    If windows cleint can see solaris folder -shouldnt it be possible for
    solaris to see windows shared drives or any windows?

    Any ideas?

  7. Re: Samba to access Windows

    On 16 Mar 2005 08:58:42 -0800,
    Joe , in
    <1110992322.269674.245780@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups. com> wrote:

    >+ If windows cleint can see solaris folder -shouldnt it be possible for
    >+ solaris to see windows shared drives or any windows?

    No. Not in the way I think you mean, any way. Only linux can mount a
    remote windows share and display it as a filesystem.

    >+ Any ideas?

    The closest you'll get is smbclient, which allows you to access the
    windows share in an ftp text client sort of way.

    James
    isn't looking good, either.

  8. Re: Samba to access Windows

    Hi All,

    MY smbclient works! I am able acces windows shares from solaris.

    Ofcourse I ran into another issue:

    When I get a file i want to go toa specific folder but instead in
    downloads in the bin folder where it has all my commands.
    And how read the windows folder on solaris. I think this cna be down
    the same way linux does. So how does linux users view/read windows
    files etc?

    questions and more questions.

    Thanks for any and all input
    Joe

  9. Re: Samba to access Windows

    On 18 Mar 2005 10:16:31 -0800,
    Joe , in
    <1111169791.793572.264930@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups. com> wrote:

    >+ MY smbclient works! I am able acces windows shares from solaris.

    Good, good.

    >+ When I get a file i want to go toa specific folder but instead in
    >+ downloads in the bin folder where it has all my commands.

    How are you running smbclient? if you're cd'ing to that bin directory,
    then ./smbclient , then yeah, it'll download stuff into the
    current directory. Fortunately, you can do one of two things to get
    what you want:

    a) cd to the directory you want to download into. If smbclient isn't
    in your path (just running 'smbclient ' without the 's), then
    you will have to run '/path/to/my/bindirectory/smbclient '

    b) you can run smbclient like you do now, but once you've gotten the
    smb: prompt, you can issue an 'lcd /path/to/the/right/directory'

    Getting a file at that point will be saved in
    /path/to/the/right/directory/

    >+ And how read the windows folder on solaris. I think this cna be down
    >+ the same way linux does. So how does linux users view/read windows
    >+ files etc?

    Linux users often mount the filesystem via smbfs, which is not
    available to you under Solaris[*]. They then can browse the folders with
    a graphical shells such as nautilus, konquerer, midnight commander and
    the like.
    [*] I'll caveat that by saying I am doubtful it'll work with Solaris
    on x86 and Opteron boxes, but it might work. Since I have neither,
    I can't test it.

    James
    isn't looking good, either.

  10. Re: Samba to access Windows

    Hi,

    Actually it does work. I now have it go to /tmp dir.

    On a file server windows machine I have like 10 shares ie i drive for
    accts q drive for quiters etc
    I would like to have them directly go to //fileserver/quiters so
    whenever people log in it does to quiters without them having to do
    smbclient //fileserver/quiters.

    Thanks
    Joe

+ Reply to Thread