Workgroup that spans more than one subnet - SMB

This is a discussion on Workgroup that spans more than one subnet - SMB ; I want a workgroup that spands two IP subnets. My configuration is: INTERNET | __eth1__ |---------eth0|________|eth2----------| 192.168.0.0/24 Gateway 192.168.1.0/24 WORKGROUP eth0:192.168.0.1 and gateway of the 192.168.0.0/24 eth2:192.168.1.1 and gateway of the 192.168.1.0/24 eth1 ublic IP, doing NAT of the internal ...

  1. Workgroup that spans more than one subnet

    <------------------------------------------>
    WORKGROUP

    eth0:192.168.0.1 and gateway of the 192.168.0.0/24
    eth2:192.168.1.1 and gateway of the 192.168.1.0/24
    eth1ublic IP, doing NAT of the internal subnets

    The Gateway is a Fedora Core 3 box where I have Samba
    installed. I have Samba configured to be a WINS server
    in that machine.

    What I have now and it doesn't work is the following:
    In the gateway machine I have one instance of Samba
    running with this configuration:
    hosts allow=127. 192.168.0. 192.168.1.
    socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192
    SO_SNDBUF=8192
    interfaces=192.168.0.1/24 192.168.1.1/24 127.0.0.1/8
    bind interfaces only=yes
    #To be the DMB
    domain master = yes
    local master = yes
    os level = 255
    preferred master = yes
    #To be the WINS server
    name resolve order = wins lmhosts bcast
    wins support = yes
    dns proxy = no

    So the Gateway machine is the local master browser, of
    both subnets ? (I am not sure) and is the domain
    master browser and the WINS server. Then all the
    clients in both subnets are configured to use the WINS
    server in either eth0 or eth1. This configuration
    doesn't work at all and I don't understand why ...

    Well looking at the post in the mailing list I see
    that the most people what have is a local master
    browser in each subnet, and then both LMB
    syncrohronize each other using the "remote browse
    sync" instruction. I can not do this since I don't
    have a machines with samba in eeach subnet I only have
    the gateway. Then my question is should I run in the
    gateway two instances of samba each one listening on
    one interface, being the LMB of its subnet and with
    the "remote browse sync" option in each one, and
    having one of the two instances act as a domain name
    server and a WINS server?

    If this is the case how can I run two instances of
    Samba in the same machine ? The only thing I need is
    another configuration file and passed it to samba when
    I start it ? In each configuration file I would have:
    --------------------------------
    interfaces=192.168.0.x
    bind interfaces only=yes
    --------------------------------

    Is this correct ? Any idea is apreciated I have
    already been a quite long time dealing with this
    question...

    Thanks

  2. Re: Workgroup that spans more than one subnet

    On 9 Mar 2005 16:04:12 -0800, danicamps81@gmail.com (Dani Camps)
    wrote:

    >I want a workgroup that spands two IP subnets. My
    >configuration is:
    >
    > INTERNET
    > |
    > __eth1__
    > |---------eth0|________|eth2----------|
    >192.168.0.0/24 Gateway 192.168.1.0/24
    >
    > <------------------------------------------>
    > WORKGROUP
    >
    >eth0:192.168.0.1 and gateway of the 192.168.0.0/24
    >eth2:192.168.1.1 and gateway of the 192.168.1.0/24
    >eth1ublic IP, doing NAT of the internal subnets

    Quite interesting as I have a similar setup .. except that I have 2
    Nics in the main server (PDC) .. but I'm also getting stuck in the
    browsing issues .. although everyting seems to work as expected.

    I thought that this PDC would become master browser for both IP
    subnets. well it doesn't seem to do so (despite the os level is set to
    255 aka the max)
    In the mean time I have a second samba machine on the second IP subnet
    acting as a printserver and I did set this to become local master
    browser (os level=91) with a pointer to the PDC as a wins server .. So
    I thought that I was covering my 2 subnets with some dedicated "local
    master browsers" .. Now for another reason I had to run ethereal on my
    network and at a certain moment I thought I should just run a "quick"
    check on the smb ports traffic .. djeez there were tons of browser
    announcement requests + tons of browser election requests emmited
    mainly by Win XP machines in the different workgroups (unfortunately
    the IP subnets span several Windows workgroups) apparently the local
    workstations do not want to agree on the browser elections ??
    Both servers run RH 9.0, the multihomed one runs samba 2.2.9 and the
    printserver samba 3.0.5 ..

    any bright ideas on this :-) or ponters to readable docs ?
    TIA

  3. Re: Workgroup that spans more than one subnet

    "imbsysop" wrote in message
    > On 9 Mar 2005 16:04:12 -0800, danicamps81@gmail.com (Dani Camps)
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I want a workgroup that spands two IP subnets. My
    >>configuration is:
    >>
    >> INTERNET
    >> |
    >> __eth1__
    >> |---------eth0|________|eth2----------|
    >>192.168.0.0/24 Gateway 192.168.1.0/24
    >>
    >> <------------------------------------------>
    >> WORKGROUP
    >>
    >>eth0:192.168.0.1 and gateway of the 192.168.0.0/24
    >>eth2:192.168.1.1 and gateway of the 192.168.1.0/24
    >>eth1ublic IP, doing NAT of the internal subnets

    > Quite interesting as I have a similar setup .. except that I have 2
    > Nics in the main server (PDC) .. but I'm also getting stuck in the
    > browsing issues .. although everyting seems to work as expected.
    >
    > I thought that this PDC would become master browser for both IP
    > subnets. well it doesn't seem to do so (despite the os level is set to
    > 255 aka the max)
    > In the mean time I have a second samba machine on the second IP subnet
    > acting as a printserver and I did set this to become local master
    > browser (os level=91) with a pointer to the PDC as a wins server .. So
    > I thought that I was covering my 2 subnets with some dedicated "local
    > master browsers" .. Now for another reason I had to run ethereal on my
    > network and at a certain moment I thought I should just run a "quick"
    > check on the smb ports traffic .. djeez there were tons of browser
    > announcement requests + tons of browser election requests emmited
    > mainly by Win XP machines in the different workgroups (unfortunately
    > the IP subnets span several Windows workgroups) apparently the local
    > workstations do not want to agree on the browser elections ??
    > Both servers run RH 9.0, the multihomed one runs samba 2.2.9 and the
    > printserver samba 3.0.5 ..
    >
    > any bright ideas on this :-) or ponters to readable docs ?
    > TIA

    Check the latest Official Samba HOWTO about cross subnet browsing. I just
    reviewed it before I wrote this.

    This is an interesting question. I put together an article about dual Sambas
    on one system , which Dani Camps found and questioned me about:

    http://www.digitalmapping.sk.ca/Netw...amba%20PDC.htm

    I don't think that is the answer here. From the docs, the reason for the
    local master browser was to compile a list of hosts on the subnet that could
    reach it using broadcasts. This was merged with the domain master browse
    list which is a list of the whole workgroup. If the Samba system can see
    both subnets (multihomed), will the local browse list include hosts from
    both subnets? This is a problem on a Windows system.

    http://search.microsoft.com/search/r...multihomed+pdc

    But only because it would only listen on one NIC. In the case of Samba, it
    listens on all network interfaces unless told to do otherwise. Maybe there
    *has* to be a local master browser on each subnet. In that case running dual
    Sambas, one for each subnet would make this work.

    Adding a WINS server only helps with name resolution. It doesn't affect the
    way the local/domain master browse lists work.

    The WinXP systems add a new twist in that they don't use NetBIOS over TCP/IP
    which WINS depends on. They use the smb protocol over TCP/IP directly on
    port 443. They also use DNS for name resolution so I think DNS has to be
    working properly for WinXP systems to find the master browsers. The
    Win2000/XP systems will register themselves on a dynamic DNS server
    automatically. The Samba systems won't. You have to manually add the DNS
    record for any system that can't register themselves or use a DHCP that will
    do the registering for them.

    So where do the Win2000/XP systems register themselves in a browse list ? I
    don't think the concept of a local master browser applies in AD. Everything
    exists in the AD forest. I have AD with one Samba 3.0.10 member server and
    several Win98/2000/XP systems. I do not have a WINS server, it's all DDNS
    and works well, the Samba systems included. As a failsafe, if the Win2000/XP
    system can't find a DC using DNS, it defaults to broadcast. Then of course
    the master browse list won't work either. This may be the traffic you seen
    on your network.

    I haven't tested as I don't have two subnets, but I think if the
    workstations can all resolve the name of a DC or the domain master browser,
    the browsing will work. If they can't, all they will see is the local master
    browser, which only has a list of the systems on their subnet.

    So before I tried anything, I would make sure that all the hosts could
    resolve the name of the local and domain master browsers.

    What does smbclient -L report ?

    [mm@wysenburg ~]$ smbclient -L amos2000 -U%
    Domain=[DMS] OS=[Windows 5.0] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]

    Sharename Type Comment
    --------- ---- -------
    Error returning browse list: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
    Domain=[DMS] OS=[Windows 5.0] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]

    Server Comment
    --------- -------
    AMOS2000
    COYOTE-FC3 Samba 3.0.10-1.fc3
    DARKSTAR
    GAINSBERY Samba 3.0.10 on Fedora
    MAJM The boss' new computer
    MAMMY-XP
    ONEOFNINE Dylan's Computer

    Workgroup Master
    --------- -------
    DMS AMOS2000

    This is from GAINSBERY. AMOS2000 is a Windows 2000 server, DARKSTAR is
    Win2003, MAJM is WinXP, ONEOFNINE is Win98SE. All of the computers are
    accounted for - one subnet, no WINS.

  4. Re: Workgroup that spans more than one subnet

    "m.marien" wrote in message

    > "imbsysop" wrote in message
    >> On 9 Mar 2005 16:04:12 -0800, danicamps81@gmail.com (Dani Camps)
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I want a workgroup that spands two IP subnets. My
    >>>configuration is:

    snip

    >> Quite interesting as I have a similar setup .. except that I have 2
    >> Nics in the main server (PDC) .. but I'm also getting stuck in the
    >> browsing issues .. although everyting seems to work as expected.
    >>
    >> I thought that this PDC would become master browser for both IP
    >> subnets. well it doesn't seem to do so (despite the os level is set to
    >> 255 aka the max)
    >> In the mean time I have a second samba machine on the second IP subnet
    >> acting as a printserver and I did set this to become local master
    >> browser (os level=91) with a pointer to the PDC as a wins server .. So
    >> I thought that I was covering my 2 subnets with some dedicated "local
    >> master browsers" .. Now for another reason I had to run ethereal on my
    >> network and at a certain moment I thought I should just run a "quick"
    >> check on the smb ports traffic .. djeez there were tons of browser
    >> announcement requests + tons of browser election requests emmited
    >> mainly by Win XP machines in the different workgroups (unfortunately
    >> the IP subnets span several Windows workgroups) apparently the local
    >> workstations do not want to agree on the browser elections ??
    >> Both servers run RH 9.0, the multihomed one runs samba 2.2.9 and the
    >> printserver samba 3.0.5 ..

    > Check the latest Official Samba HOWTO about cross subnet browsing. I just
    > reviewed it before I wrote this.

    Thanks a million for elaborating on this .. It makes the issue a lot clearer
    !

    snip

    > So where do the Win2000/XP systems register themselves in a browse list ?
    > I don't think the concept of a local master browser applies in AD.
    > Everything exists in the AD forest. I have AD with one Samba 3.0.10 member
    > server and several Win98/2000/XP systems. I do not have a WINS server,
    > it's all DDNS and works well, the Samba systems included. As a failsafe,
    > if the Win2000/XP system can't find a DC using DNS, it defaults to
    > broadcast. Then of course the master browse list won't work either. This
    > may be the traffic you seen on your network.

    I think you nailed it here .. the PDC samba is configured to service IP
    subnet A and announces itself in the "master" workgroup on IP subnet B. It
    is also declared a Wins server and seems to collect data for both subnets.
    Maybe that made me go the wrong way of thinking that it would play the
    master browser for both IP subnets.
    In order to limit the "redundant" traffic on the Lan I did configure the
    Linux printerver on IP subnet B as what I thought to be a local master
    browser with a wins pointer to the PDC on subnet A.
    Out of the nature of our campus-wide network we do not run DHCP so all our
    local nodes are hardcoded in terms of IP/Mask/GW/DNS .. so they never have
    to rely on any broadcasts to get those primaries.
    Now after this "browsers" setup has been running for several days it seems
    to reach some form of equilibrium. I ran a specific monitoring run again
    selecting only for browser requests and pnly a specific number of XP
    machines still emit browser election requests. Unfortunately one needs to
    apply a registry hack to get rid of that ! (BTW applying the same hack to
    make one machine IsDomainMaster=yes/true does not seem to have much effect
    ?)
    Funny enough quite some machines announce themselves repeatedly as potential
    browser masters too ...

    > I haven't tested as I don't have two subnets, but I think if the
    > workstations can all resolve the name of a DC or the domain master
    > browser, the browsing will work. If they can't, all they will see is the
    > local master browser, which only has a list of the systems on their
    > subnet.

    ok .. will dig into that ..
    wonder if I should check to make that printserver a DC ?
    but I'm not sure what net it will span ? .. is this restricted to the
    "workgroup" given in the smb.conf ?
    or will it span the whole IP subnet B ?

    > So before I tried anything, I would make sure that all the hosts could
    > resolve the name of the local and domain master browsers.

    ok thnx .. will run a check on that asap ..

    & thnx very much for yr help! much appreciated !

  5. Re: Workgroup that spans more than one subnet

    "imbsysop" wrote in message

    > "m.marien" wrote in message
    >>
    >> "imbsysop" wrote in message
    >>> On 9 Mar 2005 16:04:12 -0800, danicamps81@gmail.com (Dani Camps)
    >>> wrote:

    [snip]

    > snip
    >>
    >> So where do the Win2000/XP systems register themselves in a browse list ?
    >> I don't think the concept of a local master browser applies in AD.
    >> Everything exists in the AD forest. I have AD with one Samba 3.0.10
    >> member server and several Win98/2000/XP systems. I do not have a WINS
    >> server, it's all DDNS and works well, the Samba systems included. As a
    >> failsafe, if the Win2000/XP system can't find a DC using DNS, it defaults
    >> to broadcast. Then of course the master browse list won't work either.
    >> This may be the traffic you seen on your network.

    > I think you nailed it here .. the PDC samba is configured to service IP
    > subnet A and announces itself in the "master" workgroup on IP subnet B. It
    > is also declared a Wins server and seems to collect data for both subnets.
    > Maybe that made me go the wrong way of thinking that it would play the
    > master browser for both IP subnets.
    > In order to limit the "redundant" traffic on the Lan I did configure the
    > Linux printerver on IP subnet B as what I thought to be a local master
    > browser with a wins pointer to the PDC on subnet A.
    > Out of the nature of our campus-wide network we do not run DHCP so all our
    > local nodes are hardcoded in terms of IP/Mask/GW/DNS .. so they never have
    > to rely on any broadcasts to get those primaries.
    > Now after this "browsers" setup has been running for several days it seems
    > to reach some form of equilibrium. I ran a specific monitoring run again
    > selecting only for browser requests and pnly a specific number of XP
    > machines still emit browser election requests. Unfortunately one needs to
    > apply a registry hack to get rid of that ! (BTW applying the same hack to
    > make one machine IsDomainMaster=yes/true does not seem to have much effect
    > ?)
    > Funny enough quite some machines announce themselves repeatedly as
    > potential browser masters too ...

    Everytime a system is turned on it checks and if it thinks it's suppose to
    be the local master browser, it forces an election.

    >> I haven't tested as I don't have two subnets, but I think if the
    >> workstations can all resolve the name of a DC or the domain master
    >> browser, the browsing will work. If they can't, all they will see is the
    >> local master browser, which only has a list of the systems on their
    >> subnet.

    > ok .. will dig into that ..
    > wonder if I should check to make that printserver a DC ?
    > but I'm not sure what net it will span ? .. is this restricted to the
    > "workgroup" given in the smb.conf ?
    > or will it span the whole IP subnet B ?

    From the Official HOWTO, it looks like the local master browser (LMB) is
    limited to the subnet, but a domain master browser (DMB) has a list of hosts
    that spans the entire workgroup. If you have multiple workgroups you need
    domain trusts. I'm going to fiddle with my test systems to see if I can
    duplicate the problem that Dani describes. If you only have one multi-homed
    Samba system and it's winning the election on both subnets, is it causing a
    problem? It's the prerfect place for the DMB but maybe not a good place for
    a LMB.

  6. Re: Workgroup that spans more than one subnet

    "m.marien" wrote in message

    > "imbsysop" wrote in message
    >>
    >> "m.marien" wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "imbsysop" wrote in message
    >>>>

    > [snip]
    >

    >> snip

    snip
    >> apply a registry hack to get rid of that ! (BTW applying the same hack to
    >> make one machine IsDomainMaster=yes/true does not seem to have much
    >> effect ?)
    >> Funny enough quite some machines announce themselves repeatedly as
    >> potential browser masters too ...
    >>

    > Everytime a system is turned on it checks and if it thinks it's suppose to
    > be the local master browser, it forces an election.

    I agree but .. this seems to be repeated on a regular basis even if the
    machine is on for some time .. ?

    >> wonder if I should check to make that printserver a DC ?
    >> but I'm not sure what net it will span ? .. is this restricted to the
    >> "workgroup" given in the smb.conf ?
    >> or will it span the whole IP subnet B ?
    >>

    > From the Official HOWTO, it looks like the local master browser (LMB) is
    > limited to the subnet, but a domain master browser (DMB) has a list of
    > hosts that spans the entire workgroup. If you have multiple workgroups you
    > need domain trusts. I'm going to fiddle with my test systems to see if I
    > can duplicate the problem that Dani describes. If you only have one
    > multi-homed Samba system and it's winning the election on both subnets, is
    > it causing a problem? It's the prerfect place for the DMB but maybe not a
    > good place for a LMB.

    well I've kind of noticed that the multihomed one seems to be winning all
    elections 'cos I did set the os level to its maximum (just to be absolutely
    sure :-) and I checked the logs ..) I'm still not sure if it is a DMB for
    both .. that's why I tried to configure in "support" mode the print server
    on the other subnet to be a LMB ...

    & thnx very much for your efforts !

  7. Re: Workgroup that spans more than one subnet

    "imbsysop" wrote in message

    > "m.marien" wrote in message
    >>
    >> "imbsysop" wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "m.marien" wrote in message

    >> [snip]
    >>

    >>> snip
    >>>>

    > snip
    >>> apply a registry hack to get rid of that ! (BTW applying the same hack
    >>> to make one machine IsDomainMaster=yes/true does not seem to have much
    >>> effect ?)
    >>> Funny enough quite some machines announce themselves repeatedly as
    >>> potential browser masters too ...
    >>>

    >> Everytime a system is turned on it checks and if it thinks it's suppose
    >> to be the local master browser, it forces an election.

    > I agree but .. this seems to be repeated on a regular basis even if the
    > machine is on for some time .. ?
    >
    >>> wonder if I should check to make that printserver a DC ?
    >>> but I'm not sure what net it will span ? .. is this restricted to the
    >>> "workgroup" given in the smb.conf ?
    >>> or will it span the whole IP subnet B ?
    >>>

    >> From the Official HOWTO, it looks like the local master browser (LMB) is
    >> limited to the subnet, but a domain master browser (DMB) has a list of
    >> hosts that spans the entire workgroup. If you have multiple workgroups
    >> you need domain trusts. I'm going to fiddle with my test systems to see
    >> if I can duplicate the problem that Dani describes. If you only have one
    >> multi-homed Samba system and it's winning the election on both subnets,
    >> is it causing a problem? It's the prerfect place for the DMB but maybe
    >> not a good place for a LMB.

    > well I've kind of noticed that the multihomed one seems to be winning all
    > elections 'cos I did set the os level to its maximum (just to be
    > absolutely sure :-) and I checked the logs ..) I'm still not sure if it is
    > a DMB for both .. that's why I tried to configure in "support" mode the
    > print server on the other subnet to be a LMB ...

    Do a share list:

    -sh-3.00$ smbclient -L checkin -U%
    Domain=[PSGEOMAT] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.11]

    Sharename Type Comment
    --------- ---- -------
    c$ Disk The whole works
    IPC$ IPC IPC Service (Samba PDC 3.0.11)
    ADMIN$ IPC IPC Service (Samba PDC 3.0.11)
    Domain=[PSGEOMAT] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.11]

    Server Comment
    --------- -------
    7OF9
    BOOKSVILLE-XP Rita' New Computer
    CALVIN-XP
    CENTRAL-ONE
    CENTRAL-TWO Samba Server 3.0.10
    CHECKIN Samba PDC 3.0.11
    EXTRA-DS
    JOANN-XP
    LORDBYRON
    MRMAP-XP
    THINKPAD1
    WILFCITY

    Workgroup Master
    --------- -------
    PSGEOMAT CHECKIN

    The DMB is specified here. The role of the master is to compile a list of
    all the hosts in the workgroup by quering the LMBs. So if your name
    resolution is working and the DMB can communicate with the LMBs, then the
    list should be complete.

    In your case if there are a lot of elections going on in your subnets, the
    browser lists may be fractured by the changing LMB. I would check the logs
    on the Samba server. It will report all the LMB elections because it
    participates. Perhaps the Windows systems are requesting an election, but
    finding a LMB with a larger o/s number, the election is never called.

  8. Re: Workgroup that spans more than one subnet

    On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 08:32:47 -0600, "m.marien" RiverCityCanada [DOT] com> wrote:

    >"imbsysop" wrote in message
    >>
    >> "m.marien" wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "imbsysop" wrote in message

    >>> [snip]

    >> snip
    >>>>

    >>> Everytime a system is turned on it checks and if it thinks it's suppose
    >>> to be the local master browser, it forces an election.

    >> I agree but .. this seems to be repeated on a regular basis even if the
    >> machine is on for some time .. ?

    >>> From the Official HOWTO, it looks like the local master browser (LMB) is
    >>> limited to the subnet, but a domain master browser (DMB) has a list of
    >>> hosts that spans the entire workgroup. If you have multiple workgroups
    >>> you need domain trusts. I'm going to fiddle with my test systems to see
    >>> if I can duplicate the problem that Dani describes. If you only have one
    >>> multi-homed Samba system and it's winning the election on both subnets,
    >>> is it causing a problem? It's the prerfect place for the DMB but maybe
    >>> not a good place for a LMB.

    >> well I've kind of noticed that the multihomed one seems to be winning all
    >> elections 'cos I did set the os level to its maximum (just to be
    >> absolutely sure :-) and I checked the logs ..) I'm still not sure if it is
    >> a DMB for both .. that's why I tried to configure in "support" mode the
    >> print server on the other subnet to be a LMB ...
    >>

    >Do a share list:
    >
    >-sh-3.00$ smbclient -L checkin -U%

    >The DMB is specified here. The role of the master is to compile a list of
    >all the hosts in the workgroup by quering the LMBs. So if your name
    >resolution is working and the DMB can communicate with the LMBs, then the
    >list should be complete.
    >
    >In your case if there are a lot of elections going on in your subnets, the
    >browser lists may be fractured by the changing LMB. I would check the logs
    >on the Samba server. It will report all the LMB elections because it
    >participates. Perhaps the Windows systems are requesting an election, but
    >finding a LMB with a larger o/s number, the election is never called.

    I made the check .. the masters that show up are the server itself for
    the own IP subnet ..
    My own workstation which is on IP subnet B and which I declared for a
    short time as being "IsDomainMaster" and it also resides in the
    workgroup to which the server announces itself .. No sign of the
    "printserver(LMB)" (different workgroup)
    I did briefly let de server announce itself in the workgroup of the
    "printerserver(LMB)", as a locigal result my workstation got kicked
    out as a master ...
    This was last Friday .. now the situation is back to what it was .. my
    workstation is flagged as a master for my workgroup ..

    Wondering now if there is any trick to make the server span all the
    workgroups in IP subnet B

    thnx

+ Reply to Thread