Running two instances of Samba in the same machine - SMB

This is a discussion on Running two instances of Samba in the same machine - SMB ; I have two subnets S1 and S2 and only one machine running samba, but this machine is connected to both subnets, ahs one interface in each subnet and is acting as a router. I want to have a workgroup that ...

  1. Running two instances of Samba in the same machine

    I have two subnets S1 and S2 and only one machine
    running samba, but this machine is connected to both
    subnets, ahs one interface in each subnet and is
    acting as a router.
    I want to have a workgroup that spans the two subnets,
    so any machine in subnet S1 should see all the
    machines regardless of their subnet when doing
    browsing.

    I know that to do this I need:
    -One LMB in each subnet using Samba.
    -One of the LMB of the two subnets should be a DMB and
    at the same time a WINS server.
    -I configure all the clients (Windows and Linux) to
    use WINS.

    Since I only have one machine connected to both
    subnets running samba, I think I need to run two
    instances of samba (smbd and nmbd) in that machine
    each one binded to one interface and using different
    smb.conf files. Is that the only solution ?

    Thanks

  2. Re: Running two instances of Samba in the same machine

    Dani Camps wrote:
    > I have two subnets S1 and S2 and only one machine
    > running samba, but this machine is connected to both
    > subnets, ahs one interface in each subnet and is
    > acting as a router.
    > I want to have a workgroup that spans the two subnets,
    > so any machine in subnet S1 should see all the
    > machines regardless of their subnet when doing
    > browsing.
    >
    > I know that to do this I need:
    > -One LMB in each subnet using Samba.
    > -One of the LMB of the two subnets should be a DMB and
    > at the same time a WINS server.
    > -I configure all the clients (Windows and Linux) to
    > use WINS.
    >
    > Since I only have one machine connected to both
    > subnets running samba, I think I need to run two
    > instances of samba (smbd and nmbd) in that machine
    > each one binded to one interface and using different
    > smb.conf files. Is that the only solution ?
    >

    > Thanks

    ok, I have not posted here for years and I am not completely sure I
    understand what you want so bear with me:

    The important question is whether the machines on one subnet should be
    able to see the machines on the other subnet.

    If the answer is 'no' then you do not need or want WINS. You give the
    Samba server two different names - one for each subnet - and follow the
    instructions in http://home.arcor.de/36bit/samba.html#3.2.3

    If the answer is 'yes' then you want one Samba covering both subnets.
    That Samba should also be a WINS server (at least this was true 5 years
    ago!). The link there is http://home.arcor.de/36bit/samba.html#4.5
    (and 4.5.2) which is another section in the same rather geriatric
    document.

    Hope that helps, it was correct once :-)

+ Reply to Thread